Happy Mother’s Day!!! Brown Sugar Orange Macaroons

DSCN2283

Happy Mother’s Day!!! It is a very special day for all those hard working moms out there in the universe.  I unfortunately do not get to see my mother because she lives in Florida but I did make sure to call her early this morning to wish her a wonderful day.  Today was very busy and since I had to work I took the little girl I nanny for to the aquarium in Connecticut.  This took most of my energy so there for I wanted a quick cookie that would taste good and I needed to have most of the ingredients at my bosses’ house.  I looked through my saved recipes and settled on an ambrosia macaroon.  I lacked some of the needed ingredients but I improvised and in the end they turned out super delicious.

The cookies have a hint of orange zest which I think adds a lot to the recipe.  It really perks up the flavor.  I also made the macaroon with brown sugar instead of white sugar.  Before I made this recipe I read through the comments and the one thing that stuck out was the fact that people were complaining the cookies were too coconutty.  I personally think that if you are eating a macaroon you would know it would be heavy on the coconut because that is what they are made of.  Common sense should tell you what you are getting into when you see a recipe that basically calls for all coconut and very little other ingredients.  I wanted to bring this point up just in case people are not coco “nuts” (as one commenter pointed out) because they may not enjoy this cookie.  Oh one last thing.  These cookies go from brown to burnt on the bottom very quickly.  While they still taste good a little dark brown they do not taste that great when the bottoms are black…I know I tried…yuck!

DSCN2273

Brown Sugar Orange Macaroons

Yield: About 45 cookies

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
3-4 teaspoons finely grated orange peel
3 large eggs
24 oz sweetened flaked coconut

Source: Inspired from Bon Appetit Ambrosia Macaroons

Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 325°F. Line 3 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment. Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until smooth. Add sugar and salt; beat until blended. Beat in orange peel, then eggs, 1 at a time. Mix in coconut. Drop batter onto sheets by tablespoonfuls, spacing 1 1/2 inches apart.

Bake macaroons, 1 sheet at a time, until golden on bottom and browned in spots, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool completely on sheets.

17 Responses to “Happy Mother’s Day!!! Brown Sugar Orange Macaroons”

mrssnell — May 10, 2009 at 5:33 pm

My, they certainly look delicious!
    I wonder if parchment paper would resolve the over-browning on the bottoms?

• nutmegnanny replied: — May 10th, 2009 @ 5:52 pm

Parchment paper probably would fix the problem. I didn’t have any at my bosses house but when I remake them at home I will have to give it a try. Thanks!

Reeni — May 10, 2009 at 8:25 pm

Lola is so sweet! I bet you both had fun! And I love these cookies, their short on ingredients and big on flavor. My Dad loves these and I keep meaning to make him some. I’ll definitely have to try these out!

• nutmegnanny replied: — May 12th, 2009 @ 11:23 am

Let me know if he likes them:)

Jen — May 11, 2009 at 10:42 am

Cute picture of Lola the seal! :)

These look delicious. I love macaroons so I will be giving them a try. Substituting a small amount of vegetable shortening for the butter may also help with the over-browning since it does not burn as quickly as butter does.

• nutmegnanny replied: — May 11th, 2009 @ 10:47 am

Lola was posing for a picture. She must have been having a good Mother’s Day!:)

I will have to try to vegetable shortening and see how it turns out. I honestly didn’t mind the bottoms dark brown because I like the deep flavor of the toasted coconut but some people may not dig it as much as I do.

Thanks for the tip!

Natasha - 5 Star Foodie — May 13, 2009 at 10:32 am

The orange macaroons look scrumptious!

• nutmegnanny replied: — May 15th, 2009 @ 8:27 am

Thanks!

donna — May 15, 2009 at 5:29 am

I absolutely love these macaroons. They sound so flavorful. First time to your blog, it is absolutely wonderful. I see lots of recipes to try.

• nutmegnanny replied: — May 15th, 2009 @ 8:28 am

Thank you so much! It’s amazing how much flavor just a little bit of orange zest can bring.

Jescel — May 15, 2009 at 10:45 am

oh my.. i’ve been craving for macaroons lately, but haven’t had the time to make them. and then, i stumbled upon your blog… with macaroons!!! after seeing this.. i think i’ve gotten desperate for them now! hahaha…

• nutmegnanny replied: — May 15th, 2009 @ 11:02 am

Thank for checking out my blog:) I know how it feels to be craving something but the best part is that these macaroons are super easy to make and take no time at all!

The Blonde Duck — May 15, 2009 at 12:12 pm

Saw you on Reeni’s blog and wanted to say hi!

• nutmegnanny replied: — May 15th, 2009 @ 12:19 pm

Hi back:) Thank you so much for reading my blog!

Claudia Haas — May 15, 2009 at 8:05 pm

Looks delicious and easy. And love Lola!

1. Pingback: Nutmeg Nanny » Asparagus Frittata For Two