Coffee Toffee Ice Cream Tart

Coffee Toffee Ice Cream Tart by Nutmeg Nanny

Late Friday night I was laying in bed reading when I heard the ding of my phone telling me I had an email.  Imagine my surprise when I saw it was Chaya of the Comfy Cook Blog.  She was very sweet and asked if I would be interested in hosting this weeks BSI.  She said I was recommended by Reeni of  Cinnamin Spice & Everything Nice.  I was so excited and then felt as though I was under so much pressure to pick just the right ingredient.  So as I sat there on Saturday morning drinking my coffee I went over a couple different ingredients in my head.  I knew I wanted to pick something that could be done either sweet or savory and I wanted to pick something that anyone from around the world would have access too.

I also talked to my boyfriend about what what he thought would be a good secret a ingredient, but he was not helpful. His idea was flour. That way you could make whatever you wanted…hahaha.  I found it hilarious but not overly helpful. So finally I looked down at my cup of coffee and a light bulb went off…yes ladies and gentlemen this weeks secret ingredient is COFFEE!!! Yummy delicious coffee. I love this ingredient because it taste great in baked good and even more delicious in savory dishes.

For the challenge I made Coffee-Toffee Ice Cream Tart.  Oh wow was it delicious.  It’s a perfect summer treat.  The coffee ice cream balanced off the chocolate crust and white chocolate topping beautifully.  Next time I’m going to do a dark chocolate coffee infused topping….yum!

Coffee Toffee Ice Cream Tart by Nutmeg Nanny

Coffee Toffee Ice Cream Tart

For crust and filling:
1 1/2 cup finely ground or crushed chocolate wafer cookie crumbs
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 stick unsalted butter - melted

1/2 cup coarsely chopped chocolate-covered English toffee bars (I used Heath Chips, which are not covered by chocolate)
1 1/2 pints coffee ice cream - slightly softened

For topping:
1/3 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
6 ounces good-quality white chocolate - chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Make crust and filling:
Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter 9-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom. Mix cookie crumbs and cinnamon in medium bowl. Add melted butter and stir until crumbs are evenly moistened. Press crumb mixture firmly onto bottom and up sides of prepared pan. Bake until crust is set, about 9 minutes. Cool completely.

Sprinkle 2 tablespoons chopped toffee over cooled crust. Spread ice cream evenly in crust. Freeze until firm, at least 4 hours or overnight.

Make topping:
Combine cream and butter in medium saucepan. Bring to simmer. Remove from heat. Add white chocolate; let stand 1 minute. Stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. Mix in vanilla. Let topping stand until cool and slightly thickened but still pourable, about 15 minutes.

Pour white chocolate topping over ice cream tart; tilt pan to cover top of tart completely. Freeze until topping is firm, about 1 hour. Sprinkle remaining toffee over. Freeze until tart is firm, about 4 hours. (Can be prepared 5 days ahead. Cover tightly and keep frozen.)

Using small knife, carefully loosen crust from pan sides. Gently push up tart bottom to release tart and serve

Coffee Toffee Ice Cream Tart by Nutmeg Nanny

27 Responses to “Coffee Toffee Ice Cream Tart”

Natasha - 5 Star Foodie — July 27, 2009 at 9:58 am

Your coffee ice cream tart looks amazing – a perfect summer dessert! I’m looking forward to seeing all the yummy recipes with coffee!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — July 27, 2009 at 12:12 pm

Good choice of a secret ingredient – you can’t beat coffee! I am a coffee/espresso ADDICT! I am starring this post so I remember to participate in BSI this week. Congrats on being selected to host!

Blond Duck — July 27, 2009 at 1:21 pm

I love Reeni. And you’re so fabulous, of course she’d recommend you! What a fabulous tart you whipped up!

Jeena — July 27, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Wow this looks gorgeous! Fantastic blog.

alfagee — July 27, 2009 at 3:55 pm

What a great ingredient…and your tart looks truly decadent.

I already have ideas for this one.

Cucinista — July 27, 2009 at 4:44 pm

Wow! I’m going to have to put my thinking cap on to come up with something. I might even have to have a cup of coffee…

Donna — July 28, 2009 at 6:32 am

I am in love with this tart and I love your choice of ingredient, cant wait to see all the goodies.

Reeni — July 28, 2009 at 8:22 am

I love this tart with the cookie crust. What a delicious combo with the toffee. I would of never thought to pick coffee – but I love it! What a great pick!

lk (helathy delicious) — July 28, 2009 at 9:45 am

Awesome ingredient! I love coffee!!

chayacomfycook — July 29, 2009 at 7:02 am

Can you believe I could not get here until today and I am thrilled with the secret ingredient, coffee. My mind is running away. Hopefully, I won’t offer up a cup of decaf.

I love your choice. It is making me hungry. A great idea.

Thanks for being so gracious and a good choice maker.

Erin — July 29, 2009 at 5:13 pm

This was so yummy! I was with nutmeg nanny (I even assisted her in the kitchen lol) and it was SOOO delicious! I’m not a fan of coffee ice cream by itself.. but the addition of the chocolate wafer crust and the white chocolate and bits of toffee made it not so overwhelming of a coffee flavor. My husband wants me to make it for him! He loves toffee! :)

snooky doodle — July 30, 2009 at 3:13 am

oh this look delicious! I m drooling!

Sprouted Kitchen — July 30, 2009 at 4:46 pm

this looks sooo amazing. it’s the greatest slice of ice cream cake i could imagine.so many wonderful flavors!

biz319 — July 30, 2009 at 9:12 pm

Great choice! I’ve been out of the loop with work for so long!

Think I’ll jump back in with this one! :D

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — August 1, 2009 at 7:46 am
    Faith (Thought 4 Food) — August 2, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Your ice cream tart is gorgeous, I love the toffee topping!

For the coffee BSI, I made cardamom-spiced mocha…http://www.thought4food.us/?p=733

Reeni — August 2, 2009 at 6:50 pm

I just made it in time! Espresso Coffee Cake Muffins – just for you!

Rebecca — August 2, 2009 at 10:17 pm

oh shame i missed it, love coffee, looking forward to seeing who won nice blog by the way rebecca

Soma — August 2, 2009 at 10:27 pm

I just mailed my entry to you.. i know I am late…don’t know if it still counts but here is the link:

Jamie — August 3, 2009 at 9:49 am

Yummy! Your tartlet looks similar to one I made recently and I know how outrageously good creamy coffee topping is on a chocolate wafer crust.

I am so going to try and participate in this BSI!

Jamie — August 3, 2009 at 9:49 am

Yipes! I just realized that I am a week off. Sigh. Oh well.

1. Pingback: July 2009 Daring Bakers’ Challenge – Homemade Milan Cookies « Nutmeg Nanny

2. Pingback: Coffee Cinnamon Chocolate Squares « Chaya's Comfy Cook Blog

3. Pingback: Coffee Cinnamon Chocolate Squares « Chaya's Comfy Cook Blog

4. Pingback: Coffee Cinnamon Chocolate Squares « Chaya's Comfy Cook Blog

5. Pingback: Soy Latte Panna Cotta | my kitchen addiction

6. Pingback: Chocolate Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup S’mores Brownies « Nutmeg Nanny