Pumpkin Spice Muffins

Hello Nutmeg Nanny readers, it’s Faith from Thought 4 Food!  I’m excited to be back guest-posting for Brandy!  :)

As a food blogger, I’m always looking for inspiration for new recipes.  One of my main sources for inspiration is other food bloggers, but I also get tons of ideas from eating out, whether it’s at a restaurant or at someone else’s house.

This particular muffin recipe was inspired by my favorite seasonal muffin at Tim Horton’s.  If you’re not familiar with Tim Horton’s, it’s a coffee chain in parts of Canada and the northeastern U.S.  Their coffee is the BEST I’ve ever had, hands down…so good in fact that it was widely rumored that they put nicotine in the coffee to make people addicted…Tim Horton’s actually addressed this rumor and put it to rest.

Anyway, the Tim Horton’s pumpkin spice muffins are incredible…moist pumpkin (almost cake-like) muffins with warm spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, with a dollop of sweet cream cheese in the middle and candied pumpkin seeds on top.  To make these into more of a breakfast muffin (as opposed to a sweet treat, cake-like muffin) I eliminated the cream cheese frosting center, and used toasted sunflower seeds instead of candied pumpkin seeds.  But of course, feel free to add the frosting and use candied pumpkin or sunflower seeds!  ;)

Pumpkin Spice Muffins

2 tablespoon apple butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice mix (my mix has cinnamon, cloves, ginger, allspice, and nutmeg)
6 teaspoon sunflower or pumpkin seeds, toasted
Cooking spray
12 muffin liners
Muffin tray

Preheat the oven to 400F. Cream together the butter, white and brown sugars, and molasses; then cream in the eggs and vanilla; then stir in the pumpkin, buttermilk, and apple butter. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spice. Gradually stir the dry ingredients into the wet. (The batter will be pretty thick.)

Line a muffin try with liners, then lightly spray each with cooking spray. Fill each muffin cup, then top each with ½ tsp of seeds. Bake for about 16-18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

16 Responses to “Pumpkin Spice Muffins”

Heavenly Housewife — October 16, 2009 at 11:15 am

I have got to get my hands on some pumpkin puree (not easy to find in the UK). I need these muffins.

Velva — October 16, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Oh my! Pumpkin muffins! What a perfect treat. A good cup of coffee ( Maybe, Tim Horton’s) and a couple of these muffins and life would be good.

Very nice recipe!

Blond Duck — October 16, 2009 at 7:42 pm

I’ve never been to Tim Horton’s, but I’m so glad I can make these muffins now!

The Wandering Foodie — October 16, 2009 at 11:57 pm

I love the grammar in this post. Can you guest post more often?

Reeni — October 17, 2009 at 9:13 am

I think my most favorite thing to do with pumpkins is to bake with them. I bet these are just delicious! I love re-creating recipes. The thought of the cream cheese middles had my mouth watering.

theUngourmet — October 17, 2009 at 11:23 pm

Oh yum! I’ll take some for my breakfast in the morning! :D

megan — October 18, 2009 at 10:40 am

These look delicious for breakfast and/or an anytime snack. Wish I had one right now. :-)

Debbie — October 20, 2009 at 1:31 pm

I love pumpkin muffins. They are so tasty and yours look delicious!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — October 20, 2009 at 9:09 pm

Yum… I love pumpkin muffins… They look delicious!

Nanadlr — November 1, 2010 at 1:21 pm

I had one of these muffins the other day and have been purposefully driving a little more quickly past Tim Horton’s. If I went in every time I went by (I go by 4 every day to and from work) I would be in such trouble with my diet.These muffins are the best, bar none, of any food Timmys makes. These little pieces of gastronomic delights are so delicious I can’t believe I have not had one before. Now the recipe is here! OH DIET be d—-ed!! Off to chop up the halloween pumpkins and make a batch (maybe two or three or four or …..)LOL. Thank you so much for the recipe.

Trish Acres — October 12, 2011 at 10:39 am

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing, now – off to the kitchen to bake me some mmmmuffins! :)

Kaylene Wilson — October 16, 2011 at 8:18 am

I made these muffins twice yesterday as the first batch turned out tasting like to much flour and not mixed well. Pitched that batch and started again with two new bags of flour figuring mine had gone bad. No luck that time either. I made one muffin out of the batch and it was just like the first so I started adding more pumpkin, more pie spice, applesauce and making one muffin at a time to see what would make them better. I just could not get the flour taste out of them. I kept trying as I am addicted to Tim Horton’s Pumpkin Spice Muffins and need to find a way to curb my spending $4 a day on this habit. If you have any suggestions I am willing to try again.

Denise Bondy — November 2, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I made these muffins…very good! I candied some raw pumpkin seeds…looked and tasted wonderful. Nice touch with the whole wheat. My 18 year old daughter liked them. Thinking of making for a school bazaar this weekend. If I wanted to do the Tim Hortons thing all I would have to do is fill the centers with the cream cheese mixture.

heather — October 21, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I think the butter has been left out of from the recipe. cream butter and sugars (i thought it was the apple butter but you add it later)

• Brandy replied: — October 21st, 2012 @ 4:12 pm

I’m so sorry about this! When I switched over designs I think something must have gotten cut out. The recipe has been updated :) I hope you enjoy the muffins and thank you for letting me know!

1. Pingback: Nutmeg Nanny » Top 25 of 2012