Happy Hanukkah – Mandelbrodt

Sundown tonight is the beginning of Hanukkah.  Although I am not Jewish I wanted to make something to participate in Chaya’s hosting of the All Through the Year Cheer Hanukkah event.

I searched several different recipe sites and finally settled on making madelbrodt, which translates to “almond bread.” The recipe is from the great blog The Kitchy Kitchen. I also saw madelbrodt called mandelbread, mandelbrot and mondelbrodt. I’m not sure which one is the correct spelling but I can say this, it’s delicious.

It reminded me of biscotti but instead of getting a lot of it’s fat from eggs and butter you use oil. The texture of the madelbrodt reminded me of a sandy cookie but obviously a little harder. The cinnamon sugar did not stick very well to the madelbrodt so I tried a little experiment. I busted out my creme brulee torch and crystallized the sugar. It was delicious, but I unfortunately do not have pictures because I ate the experiment…. 🙂

I hope everyone has a great Hanukkah and fun over these eight crazy nights 🙂 Enjoy!!!

Mandelbrodt

3 extra large eggs - room temperature
1 cup white sugar
1 cup vegetable or canola oil
3 cups all purpose flour - sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup chopped almonds
2/3 cup cinnamon sugar
1/2 cup slivered or finely sliced almonds

Pre-heat the oven to 350 F.

Beat the eggs until light and frothy. Add the sugar, and continue beating until thick and very light in color. Add the flavoring and oil and beat to combine.

Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together, and add slowly with the mixer on low, about a 1/2 cup at a time. Add the chopped almonds and mix until combined.

Pour the batter into two greased 10 inch bread pans. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 F, or until golden brown and a tooth pick comes out clean after inserted.

Slice the loaf into 1/2 inch slices and place on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with half of the cinnamon-sugar. Bake for ten minutes, then remove, flip, and cover with remaining cinnamon-sugar and sliced almonds. Bake for 10 more minutes.

Let the mandelbrodt cool to room temperature and enjoy!

15 Responses to “Happy Hanukkah – Mandelbrodt”

Heavenly Housewife — December 11, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Yes, I’ve been known to eat my experiments too (hence my thigh issue). My grandmother makes amazing mandelbrodt, which we call “mandel bread”.

Jen — December 11, 2009 at 4:40 pm

I love the creme brulee torch idea! I’ve never had mandelbrodt. They look delicious!

Reeni — December 11, 2009 at 9:27 pm

I just saw these for the very first time on another blog. I’ve never had them but they look really yummy! Your so funny for torching them – a great idea!

Natasha - 5 Star Foodie — December 11, 2009 at 10:54 pm

Your mandelbrodt looks amazing! The torch is a nice touch!

jenn — December 12, 2009 at 12:22 am

They kind of look like biscottis in a way. These are a nice treat.

Faith — December 12, 2009 at 11:28 am

These look amazing, I love sandy cookies! I’ve never made mandelbrodt (or even biscotti!), so I would love to make these! I bet they’d be perfect with a cup of tea or coffee.

Blond Duck — December 12, 2009 at 12:13 pm

The ball is Tuesday! I already wrote it because I’ve been having to write stuff super early because work has been crazy the past two weeks. But there’s a Ladybug Ball in January, and I would be delighted if your furry ones would attend… 🙂

Christine @ Fresh Local and Best — December 12, 2009 at 3:32 pm

I’ve never had madelbrodt but I’m intrigued! It looks so good!

Nicole — December 12, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Mmm, I love me some biscotti, so I’m pretty sure I’ll love these, too! Love the idea of torching them, too.

grace — December 13, 2009 at 8:25 am

i haven’t heard of mandelbrodt, but you’re right–it’s completely reminiscent of biscotti. i especially like the shower of cinnamon sugar. 🙂
    how cool of you to try something new for chaya’s event!

Cakelaw — December 13, 2009 at 10:10 pm

They do look like biscotti – I have never heard of these before, so it’s great to learn something new.

chayacomfycook — December 13, 2009 at 10:13 pm

You did a beautiful job with the madelbrodt .

I opened up MckLinky for another day in a new thread. Did it just for you. Please hop over and sign up.

Tomorrow, for all others, is the last day of our Giveaway so come on over and sign up.

Dorothy — December 14, 2009 at 3:41 pm

I hadn’t heard of Mandelbrodt either, so thanks for sharing this with us! Of course, the math geek in me was thinking of something completely different when I saw the word “Mandelbrodt”…my mind was on Mandelbrot fractal sets so I thought you decorated a sugar cookie with fractals, LOL 😛

Chavi — November 14, 2013 at 9:46 am

Please note: The recipe is called Mandelbrodt (It’s missing the “n” in the title)

• nutmegnanny replied: — November 16th, 2013 @ 12:12 am