One Year Ago:Crockpot Winter Fruit Crisp
Ok let me start out by saying this. If you haven’t yet entered my giveaway for my one year blogiversary celebration please go here to enter. You just might win a really awesome cookbook and a small little something I’m throwing in for good measure
Now onto my rant. I have a few things I would like to list off that have been bugging me lately. Ready? Here you go:
1. My cat, who I love dearly, will not stop walking on my coffee table. He is driving me nuts. It’s brand new and he has already scratched it twice. Ugg.
2. I went to the grocery store yesterday and there were 7 self-service lanes open, 2 12 items and under lanes open and 1 regular lane open. I had a grocery cart full of groceries and had to stand in line for over 20 minutes waiting to check out because they could not figure out that perhaps it was time to take away one of the 12 items or less lines (which were empty) and make it a full service line.
3. The whole “child directing air traffic at JFK airport” is really annoying me. I do not think it was that big of a deal. Obviously the child was repeating what his father said and was not actually directing traffic. I’m sure his father was not taking a nap on the floor while the child figured out what runways a plane should come in on and another should leave on. If you have no idea what I’m talking about follow this link and check out the video. The kid sounds so professional.
4. Why does the news feel the need to cut into “The People’s Court” when the news is immediately following? I could understand if it was something serious but most of the time it’s something along of the lines of “it’s really raining and it’s going to continue to rain for a few more hours.” Why do I care about this? I can see it’s raining. Thank you.
5. I have a cold and I’m cranky. Can you tell?
Ok ok. I’m sorry about my rant. I just felt the need to get a few things off my chest. I think Mr. Nutmeg Nanny is tired of hearing me complain…haha.
Now onto food…yum! I have always had a problem with banana bread. For some reason it always turns out horribly. I think I’m just cursed. Well about a year ago I found a recipe for banana bread I really wanted to try. It was from the fantastic blog Culinary Concoctions By Peabody. Have you ever been there? If not you need to check it out. She is witty and makes awesome desserts. A perfect combination.
It took me awhile to find graham flour but I finally had success at one of the natural/gourmet stores in the area. The brand was Bob’s Red Mill. I really enjoyed the taste that the graham flour brought to the bread. It was almost a nutty deep rich flavor. I left out nuts in my bread because I do not like nuts, but I think for most of nut lovers walnuts would pair nicely. Enjoy!!!
Graham Flour Banana Bread
1/3 cup shortening(don't use butter it's not the same in this recipe)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup graham flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1 cup or more of chopped walnuts
Source: Culinary Concoctions By Peabody
Preheat oven to 350 F
In a large bowl cream together the shortening and sugars. Add the eggs and beat well. Sift together the flours, baking soda, salt, baking powder and add to creamed mixture. Stir until mixed. Stir in bananas and walnuts.
Pour into well greased(and lightly floured) loaf pan. Bake for about 50 minutes or until done.
If you use mini loaf pans cook for 35 - 40 minutes or until done.