Out and About: Apple Picking and Sauce

Beautiful apples

Fall is here! Hooray! This is my absolute favorite time of the year. Here are a few reasons:
– Foliage
– Hoodies (I love even more when I can pair them with flip flops)
– Pumpkins
– Crisp air
– Fresh picked apples
– Cider
– Cider donuts

View from top of the orchard

Ok ok ok. Enough about why I love Fall. But as you can see, my list pretty much sums up why you should love Fall :)

Last weekend Mr.NN and I decided we would go apple picking. Wanna know a little confession? This was my first time. Yes ladies and gentleman, I had never been apple picking before. Of course the day we pick to apple pick it’s 85 degrees BUT I was not going to let that ruin my outing. The orchard was gorgeous and surprisingly not busy. Nothing would have annoyed me faster than trying to beat down someone for an apple I spied. Well….I probably wouldn’t “beat down” someone but I might grumble loudly :) This would be a good time to point out that I have very little patience when it comes to dealing with people in large crowds. Just thought you might like to know that ;)

Posing with the apples

So after an hour of picking random apples and filling our bag we decided it was time to call it a day. However, we wanted to make sure and stop and pick up some cider before we left. Can I just say it was some of the BEST cider I have ever tasted. It was ice cold and tasted just like biting into an apple. Now I have over 20 pounds of apples sitting in my kitchen. I certainty was not going to let them go bad so I decided to make some applesauce. I did a very easy simple recipe that really has very little directions.

Getting ready to slice and dice!

Applesauce:

– Peeled, cored and cubed apples
– Apple Cider
– Cinnamon sticks
– Whole cloves
– Whole star anise

A little sprinkle of cinnamon and you are set!

Put apples in whatever size pot you would like. Pour in apple cider until it reaches about 3/4 of the way over the apples. You don’t want to submerge your apples or your sauce will be way to thin. Throw in your whole spices and cook on medium heat for approximately 30 minutes until your apples are soft. Take out the whole spices and use a potato masher and smash the apples in the pan until you reach a smooth consistency. Then let your sauce bubble a little longer in the pot, pull off heat and enjoy.

– I made a 5 quart pot of apple sauce and I used three whole cinnamon sticks, 5 cloves and 2 star anise. Feel free to use more or less depending on the amount of sauce you are making.

Orchard Information:

Terhune Orchards
761 North Avenue
Salt Point, NY 12578

12 Responses to “Out and About: Apple Picking and Sauce”

Veronica — October 1, 2010 at 8:50 pm

You are the second person I’ve seen make applesauce and now I have to do it! I love picking anything fresh–looks like you had fun!

Erin — October 1, 2010 at 9:55 pm

That last sign is so cute!! :) I love picking apples! My kids love it too. We are def. going to go again this year. This recipe looks great for kids. They can see from start to finish how to get the apples and make them into something..other then just eating them. :)

Joanne — October 2, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Man, homemade apple sauce is THE. BEST. I love all of the spices you put in here. Way better than storebought. Way. Isn’t apple picking so much fun!

theUngourmet — October 2, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Apples are one of my favorites things about autumn season! I am looking forward to those cider donuts too! Great photos! :)

Sue — October 2, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Looks like you’ve started a new fall tradition:) Your applesauce looks so much thicker than store- bought! YUM!

Heavenly Housewife — October 3, 2010 at 7:19 am

What lovely pictures. I used to love going apple picking when I was a little girl.
    Your apple sauce looks fab :D
    *kisses* HH

jenn — October 3, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Mmmm…apple sauce. I’ve never been apple picking before, but I’ve always wanted to go. :)

innovate — October 3, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Love those fresh apples. I wish I could have a chance to try pick them, it’s fantastic. Love it.

Cakelaw — October 4, 2010 at 3:23 am

Love the photo of you with the apples! Looks like a fun day.

Reeni — October 4, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Nothing beats homemade applesauce! I’m going to a farm this weekend to get me some apples and cider. I love this time of the year too!

Faith — October 5, 2010 at 10:27 am

Apple-picking is one of my favorite fall activities! What a fun time!

megan — November 11, 2010 at 9:56 pm

I was all excited for a minute because there’s a Terhune’s not 10 minutes from me. Guess there’s more than one.