Sautéed Japanese Turnips and Komatsuna

IMG_0317 (Large)

If you are reading the title of my recipe and thinking to yourself “Is this Nutmeg Nanny? Did I click on the wrong blog” I completely understand.   I have been posting A LOT of green foods lately. I’m not sure what is wrong with me. I’m hoping to get out of that rut soon Smile However, I have also decided to participate in a CSA this summer. So that means lots and lots of fresh vegetables that need to be prepared each and every week.  Last week I was given Japanese turnips and komatsuna. Two things I have never cooked with in my life.

IMG_0305 (Large)

I called the farm and was told they both could be eaten raw or gently sautéed.  I went the sautéed route and decided to throw them together.  I found the turnips to have a slight cabbage heart taste, (the cabbage heart is the light part in the middle of the head of cabbage. Most people do not eat this part, I personally really like it) which is a bit peppery.  However, the pepperiness mellows out after the sautéing. The komatsuna has a slightly bitter taste and has the texture of spinach.  They seemed to pair quite lovely together.  I know we enjoyed it….we ate the whole pan!

Enjoy!!!

IMG_0362 (Large)

Sauteed Japanese Turnips and Komatsuna

Yield: 2 servings

1 bunch Japanese turnips – washed, stems removed, and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
1 bunch komatsuna – washed and stems cut off
1/2 onion – diced
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper

Nutmeg Nanny

In a large sauté pan, over medium heat, heat a few drizzles of olive oil. Once hot, cook onion until they start to soften. Add turnips and cook until slightly brown and soft. Approximately 5-7 minutes. Once turnips reach desired doneness throw in komatsuna and sauté for about 2 minutes. Once the komatsuna is softened, flavor with salt and pepper, take of the heat and enjoy.

25 Responses to “Sautéed Japanese Turnips and Komatsuna”

Erica — June 22, 2011 at 4:37 am

I’ve never had either! But I always enjoy trying new vegetables and fruits. A saute seems like a safe way to go. The result looks very yummy.

Heather @girlichef — June 22, 2011 at 7:28 am

I love greens of any sort…this looks like a totally satisfying dish =) And I think it’s pretty 😉

Paula @ Cookware Cooking — June 22, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I’ve never had either of these, but the end result looks like a lovely side dish!

Veronica — June 22, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I love that you kept the recipe simple so the veg itself could shine! I love the picture–the turnips remind me of sliced water chestnuts.

Joanne — June 22, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I love how joining a CSA really forces you out of your green comfort zone! I’ve never heard of either of these, but should I get them in my CSA I’ll know how to prepare them!

Willie — June 22, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Looks Good !!

Kristina — June 22, 2011 at 10:21 pm

We got komastuna & tatsoi with our CSA a few weeks ago. If you get either in another week, I HIGHLY suggest a nice asian noodle soup with chicken & shiitakes. We put the komastuna in the soup for about 3 minutes. The tatsoi is so tender we just dropped it in a bowl, put on a little squirt of sriracha and ladled the soup on top. We’re actually craving komastuna & tatsoi over here!

cookingrookie — June 23, 2011 at 12:46 am

I love recipes with ingredients that I don’t yet know :-). I will have to look those up. Thanks for sharing!

hungryandfrozen — June 23, 2011 at 2:03 am

Never tried Japanese turnips before, they sound gorgeous – nearly anything is good sauteed in a little olive oil and salt 🙂

Kristina Vanni — June 23, 2011 at 2:34 am

Gorgeous! My sister lives in NY and I was thinking about getting her a CSA membership as a gift. Such beautiful bounty!

Blond Duck — June 23, 2011 at 7:04 am

So exotic!

Shelby — June 23, 2011 at 9:36 am

I’m mostly a baker myself but you wouldn’t know with the number of non baking post I’ve done most recently! I love fresh vegetables – and your dish looks yummy!

Dana — June 23, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Yum! Next year I definitely want to join a CSA… I keep seeing everyone else’s yummy veggies and getting jealous!

Shannon — June 23, 2011 at 5:42 pm

so i don’t know that i’m in love with turnips, but this looks fantastic 🙂

Reeni — June 23, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I’ve never had either of these but this looks delicious! I should be more adventurous in my fresh produce eating!

Jen_from_NJ — June 23, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I just love my CSA! I hope to get turnips this week. Gorgeous dish!

rebecca — June 23, 2011 at 10:12 pm

looks good Brandy good for you doing the CSA and eating healthy

Suzanne — June 24, 2011 at 1:50 am

such pretty pictures and it sounds just so simple and good 🙂

Jay — June 24, 2011 at 6:15 am

sounds amazing…
    first time here..lovely space you have..yummy recipe collection..
    Am your happy subscriber now..:)
    do stop by mine sometime..
    Tasty Appetite

Velva — June 24, 2011 at 10:11 am

Green is good! The beauty of being part of a CSA is all new vegetables that you are going to discover, and learn to prepare. Awesome.

Velva

Emily @Cleanliness — June 24, 2011 at 10:16 am

I do love this!

Faith — June 24, 2011 at 10:50 am

I’ve never had either of these veggies — that’s the brilliance of a CSA! I wish I could find one just a little bit closer to my house because I’d be all over that!

Marla — June 26, 2011 at 8:17 am

Brandy, I have to tell you I was a bit shocked to see all those veggies. You go girl, sounds like that CSA box will be life changing. These veggies look fabulous!

kitchen koala — June 28, 2011 at 11:38 am

It’s great that you guys are participating in a CSA; wish we had those around these parts. I’ve never seen Japanese turnips or heard of komatsuna before, but they look pretty tasty in your photos! At first I thought the turnips were radishes 🙂

1. Pingback: Japanese Turnips aka Harukei Turnips|Greenlnig Austin|San Antonio