Vanilla Bean Strawberry Jam

This sweet vanilla bean strawberry jam is perfect when made with fresh picked summer strawberries. The added vanilla adds delicious flavor and color.

A couple of weeks ago I went strawberry picking with two friends, Jessica, and Samantha. Now, this was my first time EVER in my whole life that I went strawberry picking.  It was so much fun! I also found out that picking your own berries can be a lot more work than just running to the store and picking up a container.

Since I now had a house full of fresh berries I had to do something delicious with them.  I settled on making my own vanilla bean strawberry jam.  I, of course, know very little about making jam but I decided I would do it anyway.  I looked up a few recipes in my trusty Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving book and realized that most of the recipes called for pectin. Guess what I didn’t haven’t in my house, pectin. Of course. I read some more and found that you can make jam without pectin by adding other fruit that has naturally high levels of pectin.  I decided I would use an apple. (I also read that you can throw in a little under ripe fruit because apparently it contains more pectin)  I also decided to add a little vanilla bean paste. Who doesn’t love vanilla?

Looking for more delicious strawberry recipes? Try my strawberry freezer jam, cheesecake stuffed strawberries or my roasted strawberry Greek yogurt scones.

Vanilla Strawberry Jam

Yield: 1 pint jam

• 4 cups strawberries - stemmed and quartered (If tiny you can leave whole)
  • 1-1/2 cups white sugar
  • 2 vanilla beans, scraped OR 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
  • 1/2 apple, peeled and small dice

Source: Inspired from Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving

Stem and quarter berries and wash thoroughly. Add to a large bowl, sprinkle sugar overtop, add vanilla pulp and pods and stir. Let sit for at least 45 minutes until berries are juicy and sugar is dissolved. Add berries, juice and vanilla pods to a large pot and over medium heat. Add apple and cook for about 30 minutes until it starts to thicken. Take out vanilla pods, and gently mash the berries in the pan. Cook for about 15 minutes more until thick and "jammy" in consistency. (I'm pretty sure jammy is not a word....)

Add to a clean mason jar or glass container. Let cool and then store in refrigerator. This will last in the fridge for a month or two. (I did not hot water can this jam so I cannot give advice on the actual canning process for this jam)

23 Responses to “Vanilla Bean Strawberry Jam”

Erica — July 13, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Fresh berries – nothing like them! The jam looks totally yummy. And I love the idea of added vanilla in the jam- YUM!. Hope you’re having a good week 🙂

Tamara — July 13, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Where have you been all my life…I mean, really? 🙂 Where did you pick up the vanilla pods from? A regular grocery?

• admin replied: — July 14th, 2011 @ 1:14 am

Haha I’m glad you like it 🙂 You can find vanilla beans in your local grocery store although I find they are cheaper if you buy them on Amazon. That is where I get my beans.

Jessica — July 13, 2011 at 4:44 pm

That jam looks fantastic! Strawberry jam is my weakness….I could spread it on cardboard, lol. Great recipe!

Maris(In Good Taste) — July 13, 2011 at 7:17 pm

The vanilla in this must make the taste so fantastic!

Willie — July 13, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Looks good, and you will be bringing a small jar for me to sample?

Reeni — July 13, 2011 at 9:30 pm

There’s nothing better than strawberry jam made with your own two hands! Especially when you picked the strawberries yourself. I LURVE that you added vanilla!

Jessica — July 14, 2011 at 8:26 am

So I keep clicking the “click to share” and the jam doesn’t appear….what am I doing wrong???? 😉

Great write up! And I had so much fun picking with you!!! Can’t wait for blueberry picking, and raspberry picking, and apple picking, and pumpkin picking… yes I am totally getting ahead of myself! 🙂

Lyndsey — July 14, 2011 at 9:36 am

This brings back memories. While growing up in Michigan we would go berry picking (all kinds of berries) every summer and my mom would make jam…mmm…nothing better. So how did the vanilla taste with the strawberry jam? It sounds divine!

shannon — July 14, 2011 at 11:32 am

ooh, i need to go berry picking!! my mom always made strawberry jam, totally bringing back memories 🙂

Faith — July 14, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Strawberry picking is so much fun, I’m glad you got to go and enjoy it! There’s nothing like homemade strawberry jam and yours looks great — love the addition of vanilla!

Joanne — July 14, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I so want to someday go strawberry picking! Definitely partially so that I’ll have enough strawberries to make this jam! It looks so delicious. Good call on the apples!

claudia lamascolo — July 14, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Just fabulous congrats to you I applaud this perfection of a jam!

Marla — July 15, 2011 at 8:19 am

Strawberry picking – how fun! I must do that sometime soon. Love the jam especially with the vanilla.

Barbara — July 15, 2011 at 10:33 am

Wish I had that slice of toast with you luscious jam for breakfast!

Megan'sCookin' — July 15, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I’m a sucker for anything using vanilla beans. This sounds wonderful using 2!

Samantha — July 15, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Ooh so thats what you did with your strawberries! It looks great! I might have to pick up that book you mentioned… Jammy is a good enough word for me!

Diana @ a girl, a dog and an oven — July 17, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Yum! I love trying new types of fruit preserves/jam, and the idea of vanilla and strawberry sounds lovely!

grace — July 19, 2011 at 9:16 am

this is a gorgeous and tasty way to keep the flavor of fresh strawberries around for a little bit longer. excellent idea, adding vanilla bean!

Kim - Liv Life — July 19, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Wow!! Vanilla beans in the jam, excellent! I make a strawberry sauce for ice cream with vanilla and strawberry, why not jam? Love it!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — July 20, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Love the addition of vanilla in the jam… It looks just lovely!

Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having — July 26, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I just made some vanilla bean strawberry jam, loved the flavours together.

1. Pingback: Nutmeg Nanny » Strawberry Freezer Jam