How to Make Homemade Pumpkin Puree

This super simple homemade pumpkin puree is packed full of flavor. You will never want to use canned again once you know how it easy it is to make your own.

Homemade Pumpkin Puree by Nutmeg Nanny

I did things backwards. I should have posted this recipe first.  It would have made more sense. Then you could have seen what to do with the seeds (Sweet & Salty Roasted Pumpkin Seeds) and then what to do with the puree (Spicy Thai Pumpkin Soup).  However, since I did things backwards you are getting this post now Smile Homemade Pumpkin Puree by Nutmeg Nanny

Roasting your own pumpkin and making your own puree is super simple and equally delicious.  Make sure you use a sweet eating pumpkin and not the type you use for carving.  The reason is simple. Large pumpkins are bred for their size not their flavor. I prefer to use little sugar pumpkins or the super delicious cheese pumpkin.

Homemade Pumpkin Puree by Nutmeg Nanny

I prefer to rub the flesh of the pumpkin with salt and olive oil before roasting but you can always leave off the salt. Also I make it a point to use up my fresh puree within a week of making it.  I’m not sure exactly how long it would last but I never want to press my luck…

Homemade Pumpkin Puree by Nutmeg Nanny

Homemade Pumpkin Puree

Yield: 4 cups (depending on size)

• Whole sugar or cheese pumpkin
  • Olive oil
  • Kosher salt

Source: Nutmeg Nanny

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Cut pumpkin in half and remove seeds.Don't throw the seeds away. Make Sweet & Salty Roasted Pumpkin Seeds.

Lay halved pumpkin on baking sheet, drizzle inside with olive oil, rub the oil over the inside flesh and sprinkle with kosher salt (if using)

Roast for 35-45 minutes depending on size. You will know when the pumpkin is ready because the skin will look a little shriveled and the inside will be soft.

Pull pumpkin out of the oven and let cool on the counter. Scoop out pumpkin flesh and add to the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator until ready to use. I like to use my homemade puree within a week.

23 Responses to “How to Make Homemade Pumpkin Puree”

Barbara @ Barbara Bakes — October 27, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I’ve thought about making pumpkin puree for pumpkin pie this year. It’s such a pretty color.

Veronica Miller — October 28, 2011 at 2:43 am

Back before my food blogging days and I knew anything about anything, I decided I was going to roast one of the pumpkins I’d had on display all fall. It was huge. I plopped the entire 50-lb sucker (OK, it probably wasn’t THAT big, but it was big) on a baking sheet and stuck it in the oven for a million years without even cutting it open first and taking the seeds out. After the million years was up, I removed a deflated pumpkin that had filled up the baking sheet with water, and covered the bottom of the oven with it as well. I had no food processor and borrowed my sister’s magic bullet to try and process 50 pounds of pumpkin, but I didn’t know how to use it and I left something out and it just wouldn’t work. I ended up mashing it with a potato masher and freezing it. I only used like one of the bags of it in a cornbread that was pretty good, but the puree was despicable in texture-so stringy and watery! I haven’t roasted a pumpkin since. Can you blame me? lol Yours, on the other hand, is PERFECT, and if I ever get up the gumption to try it again, I’ll for sure be doing it your way. 🙂

• admin replied: — November 2nd, 2011 @ 11:35 pm

Can I just say this story totally made me bust out laughing! I could just imagine a whole pumpkin roasting in the oven….haha.

In Katrina's Kitchen — October 28, 2011 at 7:02 am

This is so awesome! I’ don’t think I know what a cheese pumpkin is!? So pretty 🙂

Barbara — October 28, 2011 at 7:25 am

That’s easier than I thought it would be!

Joanne — October 28, 2011 at 11:44 am

There are so many awesome things to be done with pumpkin puree, so this is a super useful post!

Chris @ TheKeenanCookBook — October 28, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I bet this would be great for Baby Boy too, as he has started on solid foods. We prefer to make whatever we can for him, as opposed to buying premade – added bonus we can use this puree ourselves too!

• admin replied: — November 2nd, 2011 @ 11:36 pm

I bet the little one would gobble this one up!!! He can eat the plain puree and you can make a pie 🙂

Erica — October 28, 2011 at 5:28 pm

This is such a great idea! I have to try it. I am buying puree in mass quantity- may as well make som eo fmy own!

Cakelaw — October 29, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Those little jars of puree look yummy. I am looking at almost half a pumpkin from “Pumpkin Stuffed with Everything Good”, which as nice as it was, is not going to fly for one person. This is one idea for how to make that pumpkin disappear.

Fran@fransfavs.com — October 29, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I have just discovered your blog through a link on Barbara Bakes. I’ve bookmarked several recipes to try. Your Banana Layer Cake with Caramel Cream and Pecans had me salivating! I must say your photos are extremely well done (photography is not my strong suit!), and I enjoy your narratives. When you have time, stop by and take a browse through my favorite recipes!

• admin replied: — November 2nd, 2011 @ 11:37 pm

Aww thank you so much! That banana cake was really delicious…now I’m craving it….haha 🙂 I off to check out your blog!

Lyndsey — October 30, 2011 at 7:22 am

This is so simple and it looks gorgeous! I don’t know why I haven;t done this before. I don’t think down here in Florida they say what kind of pumpkins they are…just pie pumpkins. I would assume that they would work for this.

• admin replied: — November 2nd, 2011 @ 11:39 pm

I’m sure they would. I’m assuming the little pie pumpkins are just sugar pumpkins. You just don’t anything too large because they will not be as sweet.

Katherine Martinelli — October 30, 2011 at 8:29 am

I love making my own pumpkin puree! It has a subtler, fresher flavor than canned puree which I like. In Israel canned pumpkin is really hard to come by so we have to make our own! Great recipe 🙂

• admin replied: — November 2nd, 2011 @ 11:40 pm

I had no idea that you couldn’t get canned pumpkin all over the world! My oh my what we take for granted her in the US. Although, the homemade is so much better!

Blond Duck — October 31, 2011 at 8:28 am

I’m amazed! I could never do that!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — November 2, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Lovely! I just love homemade pumpkin puree… So tasty! I’ve been using crookneck pumpkins lately, too. Still trying to locate some of the cheese pumpkins you mentioned.

• admin replied: — November 2nd, 2011 @ 11:41 pm

I have never used crookneck pumpkins…I gotta keep my eyes peeled! The only place I can find cheese pumpkins are at my local farm market. I have never seen them in the store. They have a white skin and almost look like a white pumpkin but tend to grow more more flat and wide instead of large like a pumpkin.

Angela — November 7, 2011 at 12:12 am

Just froze 2 packages of puree. Yet another easy staple. Thanks for the recipe!

• admin replied: — November 7th, 2011 @ 2:58 pm

Homemade puree is the best!

1. Pingback: Homemade Pumpkin Butter | Nutmeg Nanny