Celeriac Gratin

Celeriac Gratin (4)

Celeriac is an unappreciated vegetable.

Sure. It’s a little ugly. And it’s certainly not winning any beauty awards. But looks don’t matter…right?

Celeriac Gratin (1)

With a little scrubbing and some light trimming this little root vegetable turns out to be a beauty.

I decided the celeriac would make an excellent gratin so I thinly sliced it and gave it a whirl.

Luckily, it turned out delicious. You should try it too….Enjoy!!!

Celeriac Gratin (2)

Celeriac Gratin

1 1/2 pounds celeriac (also called celery root) - thinly sliced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
Salt and pepper - to taste
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Fresh grated nutmeg - just a little pinch
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese

Source: Nutmeg Nanny

Preheat oven 400 degrees

Mix all ingredients, except 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, and add to baking dish. Top with remaining parmesan cheese and bake for 30 minutes until soft and fully cooked.

12 Responses to “Celeriac Gratin”

Cathy @ Savory Notes — January 3, 2012 at 1:16 am

I’ve never had celeriac before… but I’m all for baking things with cream and parmesan :) I’ll have to give it a try soon!

Erica — January 3, 2012 at 7:28 am

I’ve never had it! What does it taste like? Potato? The dish looks totally amazing

• admin replied: — January 3rd, 2012 @ 10:05 pm

It sorta tastes like very mild celery. The texture is similar to a turnip. Give it a try :)

Raina — January 3, 2012 at 8:20 am

I have never tried celeriac, but it sure looks delicious the way you have prepared it:)

Lyndsey@TheTinySkillet — January 3, 2012 at 10:23 am

I do love celeriac, but like you said don’t really appreciate it like I should. Love this recipe…need to pick some up now.

Dorothy — January 3, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Never had celeriac before, but that gratin sure looks tasty!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — January 3, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Lovely! I’ve never actually made celeriac before, but this dish looks like the perfect place to start. Yum!

Joanne — January 3, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I wish I could learn to like celeriac but celery makes me gag and so does it….it’s probably the only serious food aversion I have. I’m certain, though, this would be equally delicious with parsnips or potatoes!

Christine @ Fresh Local and Best — January 3, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I love celeriac and this is a great way to prepare this gnarly root vegetable.

Deborah — January 7, 2012 at 11:42 am

I think that celeriac is one of the few vegetables I haven’t tried. But I’ve seen it at the grocery store before – looks like I need to pick some up next time to try this!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — January 9, 2012 at 8:55 am

I’ve been wanting to try celeriac. Plus, throw on cream and cheese and I’m sure anything would taste amazing!

1. Pingback: An Edible Mosaic » 75 Side Dish Recipes For a Beautiful Thanksgiving Dinner