Celeriac Gratin

This simple celeriac gratin gives some love to the often forgotten celeriac root. Super flavorful and packed full of Parmesan cheese and lots of fresh thyme.

Celeriac is an unappreciated vegetable.

Sure. It’s a little ugly. And it’s certainly not winning any beauty awards. But looks don’t matter…right?

With a little scrubbing and some light trimming this little root vegetable turns out to be a beauty.

I decided the celeriac would make an excellent gratin so I thinly sliced it and gave it a whirl.

Luckily, it turned out delicious. You should try it too….Enjoy!!!

Celeriac Gratin

Yield: 9 inch dish

1 1/2 pounds celeriac, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Pinch fresh grated nutmeg
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese

Source: Nutmeg Nanny

Preheat oven 400 degrees

Mix all ingredients, except 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, and add to 9 inch baking dish.

Top with remaining parmesan cheese and bake for 30 minutes until soft and fully cooked.

12 Responses to “Celeriac Gratin”

Cathy @ Savory Notes — January 3, 2012 at 1:16 am

I’ve never had celeriac before… but I’m all for baking things with cream and parmesan :) I’ll have to give it a try soon!

Erica — January 3, 2012 at 7:28 am

I’ve never had it! What does it taste like? Potato? The dish looks totally amazing

• admin replied: — January 3rd, 2012 @ 10:05 pm

It sorta tastes like very mild celery. The texture is similar to a turnip. Give it a try :)

Raina — January 3, 2012 at 8:20 am

I have never tried celeriac, but it sure looks delicious the way you have prepared it:)

Lyndsey@TheTinySkillet — January 3, 2012 at 10:23 am

I do love celeriac, but like you said don’t really appreciate it like I should. Love this recipe…need to pick some up now.

Dorothy — January 3, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Never had celeriac before, but that gratin sure looks tasty!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — January 3, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Lovely! I’ve never actually made celeriac before, but this dish looks like the perfect place to start. Yum!

Joanne — January 3, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I wish I could learn to like celeriac but celery makes me gag and so does it….it’s probably the only serious food aversion I have. I’m certain, though, this would be equally delicious with parsnips or potatoes!

Christine @ Fresh Local and Best — January 3, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I love celeriac and this is a great way to prepare this gnarly root vegetable.

Deborah — January 7, 2012 at 11:42 am

I think that celeriac is one of the few vegetables I haven’t tried. But I’ve seen it at the grocery store before – looks like I need to pick some up next time to try this!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — January 9, 2012 at 8:55 am

I’ve been wanting to try celeriac. Plus, throw on cream and cheese and I’m sure anything would taste amazing!

1. Pingback: An Edible Mosaic » 75 Side Dish Recipes For a Beautiful Thanksgiving Dinner