Classic Roast Chicken

There is nothing more classic than roasted chicken.  I used to be scared of roasting whole chickens but I like to think I have now become a master.  Plus, it’s beyond easy and makes a nice big meal.

You can stuff your bird with almost anything but I prefer lemon, fresh rosemary,  fresh sage and lots of salt and pepper.  Sometimes I add fresh thyme for good measure as well.

The best part about roasting a whole chicken is the skin.  So get that stuff nice and crispy! Then devour it all. Don’t be a pansy and throw it out. As my grandfather would say “eat the skin…it will put hair on your chest.”

How can you argue with logic like that?

Classic Roast Chicken

Yield: 5 pound roast chicken

Cook Time: 1 hour 25 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes

5 pound whole chicken
Kosher salt
Black pepper
3 lemons - halved and quartered
Fresh sage
Fresh Rosemary
1/2 cup dry white wine

Source: Nutmeg Nanny

Preheat oven to 450 degrees

Remove giblets from chicken and rinse chicken cavity with cold water. Pat chicken dry and add to Dutch oven.

Liberally sprinkle the inside of the chicken cavity with kosher salt and pepper. Stuff with the majority of the lemon and fresh herbs.

Sprinkle the outside of the bird liberally with kosher salt and pepper and add remaining lemon and herbs around the chicken. Pour white wine into the bottom of the pan and add to oven.

Cook for 25 minutes at 450 degrees and lower temperature to 375 degrees. Cook for approximately an hour until a meat thermometer register 165 degrees when tested into the middle of the thigh meat.

Now the most important step. Let the chicken rest for 15 minutes before you carve. Then enjoy!

22 Responses to “Classic Roast Chicken”

Kathryn — March 5, 2012 at 5:03 am

I absolutely love roast chicken, it’s one of my families favourite meals!

Blog is the New Black — March 5, 2012 at 5:39 am

I need to roast a chicken soon. YUM! :)

Bri — March 5, 2012 at 10:57 am

This is always one of our favorite meals, so easy & delicious. We love to wrap the chicken in foil & throw it on the grill!

Cassie — March 5, 2012 at 11:23 am

Rosemary and sage are my go-to herbs for roasted chicken. My mouth is watering!

Krista — March 5, 2012 at 12:17 pm

This is just beautiful! Grandpas are so funny and so wise! How could you argue with that!?

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — March 5, 2012 at 4:13 pm

LOL I don’t want hair on my chest BUT I do love a good tasty crispy chicken skin ;) I recently made a roast chicken and am dying to make one for the blog. Yours looks insanely delicious.

Gorgeous, Brandy!

Jenny — March 5, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Brandy — Roast chicken is a fave in our house too. I’ve never tried it like this though. Steve Farris let me know about your site. It is unbeliveable! This is Jenny your across the parking lot neighbor in 1A. If you get a chance stop on over to http://www.thenymelrosefamily.blogspot.com. I’m so glad he told me about Nutmeg Nanny.
    Jenny

Marla — March 5, 2012 at 7:37 pm

A classic roast chicken is always a favorite over here too!

Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies — March 5, 2012 at 11:45 pm

You are absolutely right – there is nothing more classic (or comforting) than a roast chicken with all the fixins (as we say in Texas). I’ve been meaning to teach my sister how to make one. Thanks for the inspiration!

Baker Street — March 5, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Pepper, Rosemary and Sage.. Mmmm.. Bet this tasted delicious.

Windy — March 6, 2012 at 11:38 am

Mmm…now I’m in the mood for chicken. This sounds really good. Do you have suggestions for what to use the chicken leftovers in during the rest of the week?

• admin replied: — March 6th, 2012 @ 2:25 pm

Hi Windy,

I like to use my leftover chicken by making chicken noodle soup, potato hash but instead of corn beef I use the chicken and lastly I really like a good homemade chicken salad. Enjoy!!!

Dee — March 7, 2012 at 12:07 pm

it looks delicious! I love a good cooked bird, and what better way to have chicken then to share it with family, just pop into oven and let it do its thing! such a simple way to entertain! it gets my vote!

Jill Mant~a SaucyCook — March 9, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Roast chicken makes such a good comfort food dish. It has the added bonus of making your house smell so wonderful. Your chicken looks delish and I too love the crispy skin.

Maris (In Good Taste) — March 10, 2012 at 8:48 pm

This sounds really good – so simple and perfect for a rainy Sunday!

Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen — March 11, 2012 at 12:08 am

This looks so comforting and delicious!

Bethany Shondark Mandel — May 14, 2012 at 9:45 am

Do you cook it covered or uncovered? Would this work in a dutch oven?

Toni — October 5, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I’ve made this several times using your recipe and it turns out wonderful every time! Making it again right now and wanted to say thank you for sharing!

JulieD — November 1, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Love this!! Lemon in roast chicken or turkey is a must for me!

1. Pingback: Nutmeg Nanny » Blood Orange Thyme Roasted Chicken