Blood Orange Thyme Roasted Chicken

Roast chicken is one of those dishes that I was always scared to make until I finally broke down and gave it a try. Trust me. It’s not as scary as it seems. All you need is a good thermometer and patience.

There are no set rules when making roast chicken. A little bit of this, and a little bit of that. It all works. Throw it in, cook till crisp and enjoy! Sometimes I think it’s fun to just let it cool slightly and just pick the meat right off the bird. Not exactly civilized but it sure is tasty.

Blood Orange Thyme Roasted Chicken

Yield: 1 roast chicken

Cook Time: 1 hour 25 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes

5 pound whole chicken
Kosher salt
Black pepper
3 blood oranges - halved and quartered
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme (save remaining thyme for stuffing)
1/2 cup dry white wine

Adapted from my Classic Roast Chicken recipe

Preheat oven to 450 degrees

Remove giblets from chicken and rinse chicken cavity with cold water. Pat chicken dry and add to Dutch oven.

Liberally sprinkle the inside of the chicken cavity with kosher salt and pepper. Stuff with the majority of the blood orange slices and fresh thyme.

Sprinkle the outside of the bird liberally with kosher salt, pepper and thyme. Add remaining blood orange slices and thyme around the chicken. Pour white wine into the bottom of the pan and add to oven.

Cook for 25 minutes at 450 degrees and lower temperature to 375 degrees. Cook for approximately an hour until a meat thermometer register 165 degrees when tested into the middle of the thigh meat.

Now the most important step. Let the chicken rest for 15 minutes before you carve. Then enjoy!

16 Responses to “Blood Orange Thyme Roasted Chicken”

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — February 5, 2013 at 1:51 am

This looks so great! I love the idea of using blood oranges! There is nothing better than roast chicken right out of the oven!

• Brandy replied: — February 7th, 2013 @ 10:28 pm

Thank you Stephanie! Chicken fresh out of the oven is one of my favorite suppers!

megan @ whatmegansmaking — February 5, 2013 at 6:49 am

I’m still scared of roast chicken. But I love the idea of blood oranges thrown in there! So interesting, I want to try it :)

• Brandy replied: — February 7th, 2013 @ 10:30 pm

Don’t be scared! It’s the best and easiest dish for Sunday dinner. I hope you give it a try!

Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom — February 5, 2013 at 9:55 am

This chicken looks wonderful! Love the addition of the blood oranges!

• Brandy replied: — February 7th, 2013 @ 10:31 pm

Blood oranges are just so darn pretty! :)

Erica @ In and Around Town — February 5, 2013 at 9:56 am

Always looking for another reason to use my dutch oven. I have yet to try roasting a chicken, but I should definitely give it a go!

• Brandy replied: — February 7th, 2013 @ 10:33 pm

I LOVE my dutch oven. That thing gets a workout in my kitchen!

bridget {bake at 350} — February 6, 2013 at 10:25 am

Roasting a chicken in on my February must list! Love the blood oranges!

• Brandy replied: — February 7th, 2013 @ 10:32 pm

Thanks Bridget! I would happily make roast chicken once a week if my poor husband wouldn’t get sick of it…haha :)

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — February 6, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Oh i love the orange addition here!

• Brandy replied: — February 7th, 2013 @ 10:35 pm

Thanks Claire! I LOVE blood oranges…they are so pretty!

Jessica @ Burlap and Butter Knives — February 7, 2013 at 5:51 am

I never thought to use blood orange, even though I love them! Thanks Brandy! <3

Mackenzie {SusieFreakingHomemaker} — February 7, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Picky chicken! That’s what we call it, and that’s how classy we are at our house!

Emily — February 7, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Wow! What a nice bird! I love that you used blood oranges. Yum.

Feast on the Cheap — February 22, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Love this spin on roasted chicken! I have a roaster marinading right now, actually. Always looking for new ways to spice it up. YUM.