A few weeks ago I was contacted by the fine folks at Pacific Foods to come up with a fun baked good for their new hemp milk. Now, at first I was a little scared. Hemp milk? What do I know about baking with hemp milk? The answer was nothing if you are wondering.
However, after a quick phone conversation with my little vegan brother (he does have a name, it’s Matt) the ideas started rolling. I first went to the idea of a bread pudding and I couldn’t get it out of my mind. Who doesn’t love bread pudding?
Now, there are about a million different flavor combinations you can use when making bread pudding but I settled on chocolate chunks and banana. A perfect combination. Plus, I decided to use croissants instead of regular bread. Croissants are the bomb. I could happily eat them every single day. Who’s with me?
Oh, and if chocolate, bananas and croissants weren’t enough I decided to make a hemp milk caramel too. You didn’t think I would let this bread pudding get eaten without getting a bath in caramel did you?
Needless to say after all this delicious I had to go run a few miles. Ha, I’m kidding. I don’t run unless I’m being chased. I laid down on the couch and decided this was a dessert success and thought about making it again.
So, you wanna know how you can get your hands on some delicious non-dairy milk? Well, you’re in luck. The awesome folks at Pacific Foods have offered to giveaway an assorted case of non-dairy milks or a case of hemp milk…winners choice!
Chocolat Chunk Banana Hemp Milk Bread Pudding with Hemp Milk Caramel
Yield: 6-8 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
For Bread Pudding:
2 cups vanilla unsweetened Pacific Foods hemp milk
4 large eggs
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla paste
2 large brown bananas (mashed)
8 large croissants (cubed)
1 cup dark chocolate chunks
For Hemp Milk Caramel:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla hemp milk
2 tablespoons butter
For Bread Pudding:
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl add hemp milk, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla paste and mashed bananas. Whisk until completely combined.
Add in cubed croissants and stir until combined. Pour in chocolate chunks, stir to combine and let mixture sit for at least 5 minutes to let the mixture soak into the croissants.
Divide mixture between gratin dishes. I used four 8 ounce dishes and they could have easily fed two people each. If you have small dishes that would make it a bit more single size.
Add dishes to a large casserole dish and pour water around the gratin dishes till the water is half way up the side of the dishes.
Bake for about an hour until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let bread pudding rest for a few minutes and then enjoy! This recipe is best enjoyed right out of the oven and while it's still warm.
For Hemp Milk Caramel:
In a large skillet add all ingredients and bring to a boil over medium heat.
Stir constantly until the sugar is melted.
Let cool slightly and drizzle over bread pudding.
The fine folks at Pacific Foods are offering to give away a mixed case of non-dairy milk or a case of hemp milk (winners choice) to one lucky Nutmeg Nanny reader!
One winner will receive a prize pack sent directly from Pacific Foods. They will receive:
- One case mixed non-dairy milk OR one case hemp milk (winners choice)
- Giveaway starts February 25th at 12pm EST
- Giveaway ends March 4th at 11pm EST
- Only residents who are over 18 years of age and reside in the US are eligible for this giveaway
- The winner will be chosen using Random.org
- I will personally contact the winner and they have 3 days to respond. If they do not respond a new winner will be picked via random.org
How to enter: (If your comment does not post right away it’s because it needs to be approved. I will approve all comments within 24 hours. Don’t worry, all entries will be counted)
- Have you ever cooked with non-dairy milk? (This is your mandatory first entry)
Additional entries: (Please leave separate comment for each)
- Like my Frozen Cherry Crisp for Le Creuset & Williams-Sonoma Pinterest contest (if I win I get to giveaway a 3 piece Le Creuset set in the new color quince)
- Like the Nutmeg Nanny Facebook Page
- Follow Nutmeg Nanny on Twitter
- Tweet the following: Win a case of non-dairy milk from @NutmegNanny and @PacificFoods. Enter to win! http://bit.ly/WnMxOq #giveaway
- Follow Nutmeg Nanny on Pinterest and pin this post
- Follow Nutmeg Nanny on Instagram
- Like Pacific Foods on Facebook
- Follow Pacific Foods on Twitter
- Participate in the Pacific Foods #PacificBakes Twitter party on Wednesday February 27th 4pm EST. Make sure to use the #PacificBakes hashtag in your tweets so I know you joined the party! Also, make sure you are following Pacific Foods and Nutmeg Nanny so you are sure to not miss a question!
Disclosure: I was compensated for my time from Pacific Foods and received non-dairy milk at no cost. However, as always all opinions are 100% my own.