Banana Donuts & Homemade Soda {Arrested Development Party}

Arrested Development Party by Nutmeg Nanny

Guess what’s happening on Sunday?! Well ladies and gentleman it’s the premier of Arrested Development on Netlfix!!!!  Are you excited? Do you have a big pot of hot ham water boiling on the stove in celebration? It’s so watery, and yet there’s a smack of ham to it…

I was sharing my excitement for the return of Arrested Development on Facebook when my blogging buddy Rebecca and I started quoting the show back and forth. We started chatting and finally decided that we needed to have a blog event to celebrate the show.

So, I gladly bring you the Arrested Development Premier Party – AKA: Operation Hot Ham Water!!! There is no red carpet but there is some tasty goods brought to you by several very talented bloggers! Plus I got my brother to develop this pretty neat poster…isn’t he the best?

Banana Donuts and Homemade Ginger Soda by Nutmeg Nanny

We are all making foods that have something to do with the show. I settled on making donuts and homemade soda from the episode where Michael goes on a date in Wee Britain. He and his date, Rita, decide to dine at Ammy’s American Style Restaurant where they are served baskets of donuts and 64 ounce sodas. Mr. F approves.

See everything in this picture? I ate it almost 30 minutes. I’m a total Lindsay Chop.

In honor of the show the donuts are banana (there is always money in the banana stand) and I packed them full of King Arthur Flour cinnamon flav-r-bites. Cinnamon and banana…could there be a better combination? The soda is a combination of homemade spicy ginger syrup and seltzer water. It has just the right balance of burn on the tongue ginger flavor and sugary sweetness. I also added a touch of vodka (oh how I wish Cloudmir was real) because it wouldn’t be an Arrested Development party without booze…am I right?

P.S. Always leave a note.

Banana Donuts and Homemade Ginger Soda by Nutmeg Nanny

4 cups finely chopped ginger root
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
1 bottle seltzer water
2 ounces vodka

Source: Donut recipes slightly adapted from Shutterbean

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray two 6 count donut pans with non-stick spray, set aside.

For donuts:
In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.

In a medium sized bowl mix together sugar, eggs, bananas, vanilla bean paste and vegetable oil. Stir until combined.

Add wet ingredients to dry and stir to combine. Fold in cinnamon flav-r-bites.

Fill donut pans 3/4 full and bake for about 15 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Once donuts are cooled top with frosting.

To make frosting mix together cream cheese, cinnamon and powdered sugar. Add a splash of half and half to thin out frosting until you reach your desired consistency.

For soda:
In a medium saucepan add chopped ginger, sugar and water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook down for about 45 minutes until you have about 1 cup syrup. Let cool

Once cool add anywhere from 3-6 tablespoons syrup in a short glass and top with vodka and seltzer water. Stir and enjoy. If you enjoy this drink for breakfast be sure to serve it with a slice of toast.

Check out more amazing recipes brought to you by fellow Arrested Development lovers:

Dinners, Dishes and Desserts – Blue Vodka Lemonade

Texanerin Baking - 100% Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sandwiches

In Katrina’s Kitchen- Banana Stand Smoothies

Gimme Some Oven - Salted Chocolate Frozen Banana Bites

Stetted - Afternoon Delight

The Realistic Nutritionist - Bluth Frozen Banana

Emily Bites - Cornballs

27 Responses to “Banana Donuts & Homemade Soda {Arrested Development Party}”

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — May 24, 2013 at 6:08 am

Thanks so much for organizing this! And thanks to your brother for the poster. He did an amazing job. :)

And banana donuts?! YES! Perfect. And those cinnamon flavor bites sounds amazing. I’ve always wanted to try!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — May 24, 2013 at 7:14 am

Ha! Love this party!! These sound awesome!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — May 24, 2013 at 7:50 am

mr. f!!!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — May 24, 2013 at 9:22 am

I’ve seriously been wanting to try those cinnamon bites mmmm!

FOR BRITISH EYES ONLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — May 24, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I want to just dive in! Those donuts look incredible! Thanks so much for organizing the event, it was so much fun!

Joanne — May 24, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I’ve been rewatching all of the Arrested Development episodes in preparation for the premiere and it is so much better this time around…and that’s saying a lot because I loved it so much the first (three) times. :) Those donuts = need.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 24, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Love making homemade donuts and last week I made homemade ginger ale, too! Yours looks wonderful! And your donuts look so soft and moist – the only way to have them :)

rebecca — May 24, 2013 at 11:21 pm

never watched the show but will have a doughnut they look fab he he

Barbara @ Barbara Bakes — May 25, 2013 at 8:03 am

Banana cinnamon donuts are always a hit at our house. I’ll have to try them with your icing. Now that summers here, I’ll be looking for something fun to watch.

Samantha — May 25, 2013 at 9:32 am

I’m so glad this is happening. I wish I noticed the twitter quotes, would have joined in.

katie — May 25, 2013 at 11:54 am

ha ha… i love your recipes but I will be the first to admit that I’ve never watched the show. Maybe I should start? lol.

Sue/the view from great island — May 25, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Banana doughnuts sound incredible, but the glaze puts them over the top!

JulieD — May 26, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Those donuts look amazing!!

Reeni — May 26, 2013 at 8:48 pm

I feel totally out of the loop since I have never watched the show but I can still appreciate these banana donuts and ginger ale! Banana. Donuts? Heavenly!

Erica — May 27, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Josh is OBSESSED with AD! Hes thrilled its coming back. I want one of those donuts right now!

DessertForTwo — May 27, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Hahaha! I love this! I love this show! And I was cracking up at every quote. The donuts look awesome and the soda is something I could drink daily!

grace — May 28, 2013 at 11:57 am

i’m personally taking my time through the episodes–i don’t want them to be over too quickly! :)

Jennifer | Bake or Break — May 28, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I’ve made a huge mistake.

I so hate I missed out on this. <3 We watched the first 10 episodes over the weekend. It's killing me not to watch the rest in secret while my husband is at work.

AND, the banana stand was in NYC, but I had a cold and decided not to brave the crazy long lines. Go ahead, do your best chicken dance in response.

carrian — May 28, 2013 at 11:58 pm

I resign as a human being. Everyone is so into Arrested Development and I’ve still never seen a single episode.

steph@stephsbitebybite — May 30, 2013 at 7:54 am

Oh these doughnuts. I need a few of them to get me going this morning!

Laurie — June 19, 2013 at 11:08 am

These were really good and moist. We loved the cinnamon chips in them. I made a glaze with cinnamon in it instead of the cream cheese frosting. These would also be good muffins or bread. Great recipe. Thanks!!!

• nutmegnanny replied: — June 19th, 2013 @ 9:00 pm

Hi Laurie! Thank you so much for leaving such lovely feedback. I’m glad you enjoyed the donuts!

1. Pingback: Bluth Frozen Bananas | The Realistic Nutritionist

2. Pingback: Afternoon Delight (Grilled Pound Cake with Roasted Fruit) | stetted

3. Pingback: Nutmeg Nanny » Very Berry Baked Donuts