{A Step Back in Time} Farming with My Family

This post brought to you by Miracle-Gro. All opinions are 100% mine.

Today I’m taking a little step back in time. I’m going to talk just a bit about my love for fresh produce and sharing a bit about farming with my family.

{A Step Back in Time} Farming with My Family by Nutmeg Nanny

Growing up we always had a garden. I’m sure you have heard me talk about it a time or two in the past. It was a simple garden but always packed full of fresh summer goodness. My favorite was when the watermelon was finally ripe and we could spend our nights eating giant slices sprinkled with salt. That is hands down the best way to eat fresh watermelon

{A Step Back in Time} Farming with My Family by Nutmeg Nanny

{A Step Back in Time} Farming with My Family by Nutmeg Nanny

I searched and searched to find pictures of my dads garden (or me with it) but sadly couldn’t find any pictures. I guess those years were ruled by the video camera. Trust me, you don’t want to see 6 year old Brandy videos. It involved a lot of me saying “Dad, dad, dad! Look at me!” and a few moments of crying, screaming and acting in general like a little a-hole of a kid.

{A Step Back in Time} Farming with My Family by Nutmeg Nanny

{A Step Back in Time} Farming with My Family by Nutmeg Nanny

Since I couldn’t find any garden pictures from my past I opted to instead share a few pictures from my families past. A few years ago my dad took some time and scanned all the old pictures of our family into his computer and then sent them to me. I was working on my family tree (not nearly as boring or lame as it sounds) so I wanted them to help put faces to the names.

My family consisted mostly of farm and factory workers. They were hard working and knew what it meant to put in a hard days work. These pictures always make me smile because it’s a nice step back into time.

{A Step Back in Time} Farming with My Family by Nutmeg Nanny

{A Step Back in Time} Farming with My Family by Nutmeg Nanny

Sadly I cannot grow a full garden in my current home but I do plan on plating a herb garden again this year. The first year I planted a herb garden I went a bit crazy with the mint. Why I thought I needed to plant three different types of mint I will never know. I guess on the plus side there was always mint for mojitos. Yes. Please.

Currently my plan is to grow basil, lemon thyme, sage, peppermint, and maybe pineapple mint.

{A Step Back in Time} Farming with My Family by Nutmeg Nanny

{A Step Back in Time} Farming with My Family by Nutmeg Nanny

So what about you? Do you garden? Do you grow your own vegetables, flowers or herbs? If you grow herbs let me know your favorites. Oh and maybe give me some tips on growing basil. Mine always seems to die…sigh. I do like to throw in a little Miracle-Gro to help give my herbs just a little boost of nutrition to get growing. Trust me, with my lack of a green thumb I can use all the help I can get!

{A Step Back in Time} Farming with My Family by Nutmeg Nanny

Do you have any garden experiences from you childhood? Head on over to share at the Gro Something Greater website!

Visit Sponsor's Site

15 Responses to “{A Step Back in Time} Farming with My Family”

Julie — April 8, 2014 at 8:55 am

I grew up watching my mother and grandmother use Miracle Gro (Momma is a master gardener, and my grandmother used to graft camellias). Anyway, to say that they have (had) a green thumb is an understatement. Loved your pictures…so many good memories for you. I’ve been told that in order for your mint not to overtake everything else (and yes, the weird varieties will go just as wild) to plant them in a pot and then into the ground, which will keep them contained but still allow them to be outside. Truthfully, I haven’t tried this, because I’ve given up on mint. Love the way it smells, but good grief…it goes wild for me and I can’t get rid of it. Good luck on your herbs. Keep us posted on how they do!

• nutmegnanny replied: — April 14th, 2014 @ 1:39 am

I have to try that with my mint this year. I love it so much but I don’t want it to go crazy! I can’t be making mojitos for the neighborhood…haha 🙂

Amy @Very Culinary — April 8, 2014 at 12:20 pm

We have a sizable yard and a few years ago, Paul built me a gorgeous raised garden bed. The kids help me plant every year – always tomatoes, snap peas, peppers, and every herb imaginable. Nothing like food that you pick yourself. Those pictures are incredible, Brandy…what keepsakes!

• nutmegnanny replied: — April 8th, 2014 @ 1:02 pm

I want your yard! I have dreamed of having a raised garden. If I had my way I would move to a big farmhouse, plant a garden, get some bees and raise some chickens 🙂

foodwanderings — April 8, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Gosh this is such a gorgeous vintage looking post. A great tale of family history.

• nutmegnanny replied: — April 8th, 2014 @ 1:02 pm

Thank you! I’m so happy I have all these pictures to share 🙂

Samantha — April 8, 2014 at 12:39 pm

This is a really cool step back in time. These photos really raw and it is great you were able to preserve them.

Also, pineapple mint? Whoa.

• nutmegnanny replied: — April 8th, 2014 @ 1:01 pm

Thank you Sam! I have so many pictures it was hard to choose which ones to share. I love looking at them.

Winnie — April 8, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Wow Brandy…thanks for sharing these photos. Love that you are starting an herb garden!

Courtney @ Neighborfood — April 8, 2014 at 11:12 pm

These pictures are wonderful! Love it. I have been scaling back my gardening because I always get over excited in spring and then don’t have the energy to take care of everything in July. But herbs and tomatoes are always on the list!

Joelen — April 8, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Your post was so touching – I love how you incorporated such precious photos. My grandfather was a farmer and just thinking about how life was back then makes me appreciate the simpler ways of life. Gardening is one of the things I really want to get into. I hope to start a garden bed next spring and work on flowers this summer!

Dawn Lopez — April 9, 2014 at 12:43 am

Wow! These photos are simply amazing, I love them! Thanks for sharing your story, I really enjoyed reading it. Now.. I really need to try watermelon with salt.. that sounds so interesting!

Kim Beaulieu — April 9, 2014 at 1:00 am

I love all the family photos. Such a great glimpse into the past.

I had a massive garden at our old house, it even had a white picket fence my hubs built for me. It was epic. We haven’t put one in here yet, it’s hard to find enough sun on our lot. Our neighbourhood is full of old, very mature trees. Hoping we can figure out a way to do some raised beds this year or next.

Angie — April 9, 2014 at 10:17 am

I absolutely love these old pictures! Thanks for sharing! I’m putting in some raised beds this weekend, can’t wait!

Angela Barrett — April 9, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Making a family tree is totally not lame! It’s awesome! I have an account with Ancestry and I’ve been building mine! I’ve even found photos of my grandmother and great grandmother in other people family trees on there! My grandpa had a garden and I have lots and lots of memories of going out there with him! I am so awful at planting myself though I have a black thumb!