Creamy Chicken Bacon and Mushrooms

This creamy chicken bacon and mushrooms is the perfect weekday meal. Packed full of flavor and delicious when served with pasta, mashed potatoes or vegetables.

This creamy chicken bacon and mushrooms is the perfect weekday meal. Made all in one skillet and packed full of flavor. Perfect over top noodles or potatoes.

Chicken is almost always something I have hanging around in my freezer. While I’m a huge fan chicken thighs {hello crispy pan roasted chicken thighs!} I do have a place in my heart for chicken breast. I feel like it gets a bad wrap but my opinion it’s only because it so often gets overcooked. Can I get an amen?

Also, lets pledge to stop overcooking our chicken. I think it’s because everyone is petrified of getting sick so they cook their chicken until it’s totally dead. I get the fear but no need to overcook. My biggest tip – use a thermometer. The FDA will tell you that chicken needs to be taken to 165 degrees to be cooked safely. I like to pull my chicken out around 155-160 degrees and let it rise until 165 degrees. This helps keep it most and not overcooked and shoe leather in texture.

Who likes eating leather?

For this recipe I used 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts and pounded them out until they were equal in size. That doesn’t mean I made them super thin – I just made them even and made sure no area was was substantially thicker than another area. Then I seasoned it up with kosher salt and pepper and gave it a a quick fry in the pan. Then I paired it up with a creamy mushrooms sauce and lots of little pieces of bacon.

That’s right, bacon.

Sweet baby J I love the stuff.

I served this dish with a side of steamed broccoli but I think it would be slammin’ over mashed potatoes or buttered egg noodles. It’s your choice. I never judge.

Well, if you make this without the bacon I might judge. You must promise you will make it with the bacon.

It’s worth it – trust me.

Cream Chicken Bacon and Mushrooms

Yield: 4 servings

• 6 thick slices bacon, diced
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breast, pounded until even in thickness
  • Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
  • 8 ounces sliced baby bella mushrooms
  • 4 sprigs thyme, leaves removed
  • 3/4 cup dry white wine
  • 1-1/2 cups heavy cream

In a large frying pan set over medium high heat add the diced bacon and fry until crispy. Remove bacon from the pan and set aside on a paper towel lined plate.

Add the pan (with the bacon grease) back onto the heat.

Season your chicken breast with kosher salt and pepper and cook until the chicken is lightly browned on each side. It's ok fi the chicken issn't fully cooked. You're just browning them in the skillet.

Remove from the pan and set aside to rest while you prepare the mushroom sauce. If there is not enough grease in the skillet to brown your mushroom add a little drizzle of olive oil to the pan.

Add in the mushrooms and season lightly with kosher salt and pepper. Sauté until the mushrooms start to soften and release their moisture.

Add in the thyme and white wine and let the wine cook down until half of the wine remains. Pour in the cream and lower the heat to medium low.

Add the chicken back to the skillet and let the mixture warm (and finish cooking the chicken totally through) until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is fully cooked.

Stir in the bacon and serve the chicken smothered in sauce.

33 Responses to “Creamy Chicken Bacon and Mushrooms”

Christie — January 9, 2015 at 8:52 am

I am so with you – no more overcooked chicken. This dish looks perfect. I love the mix of flavors, bacon & mushrooms. What could be better?

Linda Omura — January 9, 2015 at 8:54 am

You are making me hungry for dinner and it’s only 8 am. Saving this recipe, my husband would love it!
    Linda @foodhuntress.com

Sharon @ What The Fork Food Blog — January 9, 2015 at 9:49 am

holy mother of all things bacon, this looks AH-MAZING! I love bacon, chicken and mushrooms. Gotta try this!

Alyssa — January 9, 2015 at 10:20 am

This looks so good and I would most definitely make it with the bacon.

The Food Hunter — January 9, 2015 at 10:28 am

I love these kind of meals!

Liz — January 9, 2015 at 11:05 am

A very nice recipe and I would definitely make it. Thank you.

Cookin Canuck — January 9, 2015 at 11:14 am

Yep, you get an “Amen” from me on the overcooked chicken breasts! But when you cook them well (and add bacon and mushrooms…hello!), they can make a fantastic meal.

KalynsKitchen — January 9, 2015 at 11:17 am

This sounds delicious. I’d prefer chicken stock instead of the wine; do you think that would change the result much?

• nutmegnanny replied: — January 9th, 2015 @ 12:47 pm

Hi Kalyn! I think chicken stock is just fine. I made this chicken with stock once and it turned out great. It takes out the wine flavor but replaces it with a nice rich chicken flavor. Totally delicious in my opinion 🙂

Kate @ Diethood — January 9, 2015 at 11:54 am

Yes to bacon and all things chicken!! What an awesome dish!

Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes — January 9, 2015 at 12:32 pm

I love meals that are made all in one dish – less clean up for me is a good thing! Looks wonderful.

Cat @ Breakfast to Bed — January 9, 2015 at 12:45 pm

I’m making coq au vin tonight, but damn if this isn’t ever making me reconsider that decision. As a former NEOhioan, buttered egg noodles are my JAM.

• nutmegnanny replied: — January 9th, 2015 @ 12:48 pm

YES! I LOVE me some buttered egg noodles. When I go home I always come back with a few bags of Amish noodles…yum!

karen @ joyfuldinners — January 9, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Amen. Amen. Aaaaaaamen. At 165 a chicken breast is officially done – as in grind it up and use it as a filler. I’m not a chicken breast fan – but the mushrooms and bacon make this look irresistible.

What plug in do you use for your recipes – I really love the look.

claire — January 9, 2015 at 2:21 pm

You had me at creamy, bacon and mushrooms.

Paula - bell'alimento — January 9, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Love this. You can never have too many chicken recipes. Especially when mushrooms are involved!

Lana | Never Enough Thyme — January 9, 2015 at 3:50 pm

I totally agree with you about chicken often being overcooked! I really enjoy the chicken breast if it’s cooked correctly. Wonderful recipe – lovely combination of flavors!

Danae @ Recipe Runner — January 9, 2015 at 5:07 pm

Chicken leather is no bueno! This gorgeous chicken looks perfectly browned and don’t even get me started on how amazing the bacon and mushrooms on top look!

Katya @ Little Broken — January 9, 2015 at 5:51 pm

Chicken with mushrooms and cream is a staple in any Russian home! I grew up eating many chicken dishes, especially over mashed potatoes. So this here is my comfort food! Looks beautiful and I can already taste it

Bea — January 9, 2015 at 5:51 pm

Amen to that!!! That is probably the reason it took me so long to like chicken, you know the over cooked tough stuff…Love this recipe. and I have visions of this slathered over egg noodles. Oh it sounds so good – wish I could take a bite through my screen 🙂

Julie | This Gal Cooks — January 9, 2015 at 8:54 pm

What a beautiful dish, Brandy! Gah, that creamy sauce with my favorite things is totally making me swoon!

Laura — January 9, 2015 at 10:49 pm

Only in our world do chicken breasts (justifiably) get a bad rap lol. I feel like everyone else prefers the breast! Not me, thigh any time. But I will take any part of the chicken prepared like this. Yum!

Jennifer @foodprocessor07 — January 10, 2015 at 12:46 am

What perfect little treats! How elegant! I’m sure anyone would love thes

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — January 10, 2015 at 1:18 pm

As a non-veggie liker, I want to make this and I’m thinking subbing the mushrooms with the same amount of bacon would be exquisite. 🙂

Angela {Mind Over Batter} — January 10, 2015 at 3:37 pm

Amen!! 2015 is the year we stop overcooking our chicken. Love this dish and you already know I love me some bacon.

Erlene — January 10, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Yum! Bacon and mushrooms together is definitely a winning combination. Pinned.

Lisa @ Healthy Nibbles & Bits — January 10, 2015 at 8:43 pm

This chicken dish looks absolutely gorgeous! I’ve been a bit stuck on what to do with chicken breasts lately, so thanks for the inspiration! And, oh my gosh, bacon!

Megan {Country Cleaver} — January 11, 2015 at 12:26 am

Bacon, bacon, bacon baocnnnnnnn this is like the holy freakin’ trinity here with the chicken and mushrooms! Wow, Brandy!

Monica Dubsky — January 11, 2015 at 7:29 am

Oh my goodness, I have just eaten a big lunch and am starving already. Fantastic recipe will definitely give it a go!

Please visit/follow my page

Martha @ A Family Feast — January 11, 2015 at 3:21 pm

I’d like to order an entire pan of this dish – all for myself! YUMMMMY!

Jennie @themessybakerblog — January 11, 2015 at 7:15 pm

Amen! I like my chicken tender and juicy. That sauce is killer! Pinned.

Kim (Feed Me, Seymour) — January 11, 2015 at 9:29 pm

This is basically all the good stuff on earth! Love it!

Nikki @ NikSnacks — January 13, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Harris Teeter had Buy 2 get 3 chicken on sale last week. And I got it! And I’m going to make this soon. I just need to find some appropriate mushrooms…