Classic Manhattan Cocktail

This classic Manhattan cocktail is just what you need for a romantic Valentine’s Day! Made with just a few simple ingredients and ready in less than 5 minutes.

This classic Manhattan cocktail is just what Don Draper ordered! It's needs only a few simple ingredients and is ready in just 3 minutes!

If you know me by now you know I love a good cocktail. I used to be strictly a gin girl until my husband starting drinking bourbon. At first, I had no interested in his new found love until I learned to appreciate the wonders of a Manhattan. Now I know this drink is made with rye {which is the classic way} and not bourbon but it’s close enough so the story still applies.

I like my Manhattans made with either bourbon or rye but since I’m trying to keep things vintage around here we are going classic today. Plus I like to think Don Draper {my imaginary boyfriend} would appreciate my knowledge of how to keep things classic and delicious.

This classic Manhattan cocktail is sure to wet your whistle. Made with rye, sweet vermouth and just a dash of bitters.

As you can see by the title of this post things are a little bit different around here today. A few weeks ago I got together with Gina to record a video of us drinking acting professional and making scrumptious recipes for Valentine’s Day. Instead what you got is us being awkward, drinking WAY too much before shooting and talking a lot about Jon Hamm. It also is the birth of Gina’s and my new project – Kick Sass Kitchen.

Yes, this means that you get to see our mugs on YouTube once a month bringing you everything from recipes to cocktails to fun kitchen tips. But mostly just us acting wacky. Which is really what you’d get if you hung out with us in real life.

So? Are you ready to see the video? Just press play and prepare to get hungry…and thirsty!

{If you really want to see the good stuff watch our outtakes video! It’s mostly just us eating and talking even more about Jon Hamm. So much Jon Hamm talk for one day.}

This classic Manhattan Cocktail can be ready in under 5 minutes and only takes a few simple ingredients.

Hope you enjoyed our video and please remember to thumbs up and subscribe if you want more of our craziness. Plus make sure to head on over and check out Gina’s blue cheese steak crostini!

{Looking for more Valentine’s Day recipe ideas? Try these cheesecake stuffed strawberries, veal osso buco or this tasty thyme blood orange bourbon cocktail.}

Classic Manhattan Cocktail

This classic Manhattan cocktail is just what you need for a romantic Valentine's Day! Made with just a few simple ingredients and ready in less than 5 minutes.

Yield: 3 minutes

Total Time:

• 2-1/2 ounces rye
  • 3/4 ounce sweet vermouth
  • 2-3 drops bitters
  • 3 Luxardo cherries

Fill a cocktail shaker half way with ice and add in rye, sweet vermouth and bitters.

Top the shaker and gently shake.

Pour into cocktail glass and serve with cherries.

41 Responses to “Classic Manhattan Cocktail”

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — February 11, 2015 at 7:51 am

You guys are too cute! Keep the videos coming 🙂

Beth — February 11, 2015 at 7:55 am

I went straight for the outtakes, hahaha. Love this ladies!

Lauren @ Wicked Spatula — February 11, 2015 at 8:03 am

Hahaha! Love it! I watched the video on Gina’s blog and loved it but I have to say the outtakes are priceless.

The Food Hunter — February 11, 2015 at 9:23 am

I was strictly a gin girl for years but now I love a manhattan and I love it with rye

pam (Sidewalk Shoes) — February 11, 2015 at 9:29 am

I used to be a gin girl too, but now I’m pretty much an anything with alcohol girl! I’d love it if you would link up to Tipsy Tuesday at http://www.greyisthenewblack.com/oh-my-mai-tai/ – Also loved the video!!

Renee - Kudos Kitchen — February 11, 2015 at 11:05 am

AhHaHa! Cheers, Bitch! Loved the video!

Barbara | Creative Culinary — February 11, 2015 at 11:16 am

I love a good Manhattan and good on you for sourcing some great cherries! I have a good friend who was all things vodka and turned up her nose at bourbon. Know what first changed her tune? Trying the foods I make with bourbon in them…she loved them and has since enjoyed many a great bourbon cocktail with me too. Her bourbon and Coke days are finally behind her. 🙂

Cute video too; I sort of want to go there but not sure I’m up to prime time; means getting out of jammies to work right? 🙂

• nutmegnanny replied: — February 15th, 2015 @ 11:08 pm

I shouldn’t admit to this but I might be wearing super leggings and slippers out of frame…haha. You should totally do it!

Angie | Big Bear's Wife — February 11, 2015 at 11:20 am

“And because I’m super fancy, I skewered my cherries.” haha I love the video. So not only are the photos wonderful on your blog but now I’m falling in love with Kick Sass Kitchen!

heather @french press — February 11, 2015 at 11:35 am

love love love kick sass kitchen! and cannot wait to see what’s next

Kacey @ The Cookie Writer — February 11, 2015 at 12:05 pm

I do love me some girly drinks, though this one may be a bit on the knock-me-on-the-floor-type (I guess I am a lightweight, lol.) Cannot wait to try this!

Danae @ Recipe Runner — February 11, 2015 at 12:08 pm

The cocktail and crostini look fabulous and the video is so cute! Keep them coming girls!

Cookin Canuck — February 11, 2015 at 12:09 pm

I don’t know that I’ve ever tried a Manhattan…clearly that needs to change! I love the video…you and Gina work well off of each other.

Kristina — February 11, 2015 at 12:09 pm

“they don’t have weird stuff in them…” YEAH! I generally don’t care for maraschino cherries (and my Manhattans go cherry-free…) but those I might try! of course they are $20 a jar, HA

fun video, girls! CHEERS.

Krista @ Joyful Healthy Eats — February 11, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Ok, true story I’ve never had bourbon. I always thought of it like they show it in the movies, a strong guys liquor thats not meant for ladies. Well, after seeing this it is SOOO meant for ladies. This just looks amazing girl!

Martha @ A Family Feast — February 11, 2015 at 12:39 pm

You two are naturals on camera! What a great new venture! And this cocktail – I had a friend in grad school who drank Manhattans and she always said “Tastes like MORE!” when she was ready for another… this version definitely “Tastes like MORE!” 🙂

Kelley — February 11, 2015 at 1:39 pm

Agree with the “they dont have all the stuff in them”! That’s one of the main reasons I don’t buy cherries. I’ll have to see where I can find those.. and make this yummy drink!

Rachel Cooks — February 11, 2015 at 2:10 pm

You guys are adorable! More, please! 🙂

Stephanie @ Back for Seconds — February 11, 2015 at 2:35 pm

I loved the video! How cute are you?!!!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — February 11, 2015 at 4:33 pm

I love this video so much!!!! I want to have drinks with you and Don!!

Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom — February 11, 2015 at 5:29 pm

love the video, cocktail, crostini and everything!! Keep ’em coming! and now I need to go check the back of my balsamic vinegar. .

amanda @ fake ginger — February 11, 2015 at 5:36 pm

You guys are so cute! I want to drink with you!

Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes — February 11, 2015 at 5:59 pm

Loved the video. Great job! I used to hate Mahattans and they grew on me over the years!

Joanie @ ZagLeft — February 11, 2015 at 5:59 pm

I love the video, y’all work so well together and I love “you can measure it out…or don’t” – so funny. I don’t think I’ve ever had a Manhattan, but that clearly needs to change.

Heather / girlichef — February 11, 2015 at 6:45 pm

Hooray for Kick Sass Kitchen – that is so fun! This video was great, and I could definitely use a Manhattan right now.

Kim K. — February 11, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Love the video…. the official version AND the outtakes

eat good 4 life — February 11, 2015 at 10:11 pm

I need to get my drink on. God knows I need a couple of drinks… Loving the crostini and the video. You guys rock, I could never get on front of the camera!!

Angela {Mind Over Batter} — February 11, 2015 at 10:37 pm

Love, love, loved the video. And the outtakes were hilarious! Now, about that Manhattan… I need one. Right now.

Kimberly Ann @ Bake Love Give — February 12, 2015 at 12:10 am

Totally adorable video! I super need this cocktail this week (and it’s only Wednesday)!

Sherri@The Well Floured Kitchen — February 12, 2015 at 12:10 am

Love the video! Your posts always make me laugh -even though I had to google don draper 🙂 I’m definitely a cocktail girl- mostly cosmos, but I’ll have to try a legit manhattan- you definitely made me curious!

Colleen (Souffle Bombay) — February 12, 2015 at 11:52 am

THIS is my grandmoms drink! She enjoyed 2 at her 100th bday party and last year when she passed away suddenly at 102…after the service my dad led a toast to her and 45 of us raised our glasses…all Manhattan’s to honor her! Not a bad way to go out with everyone toasting to you with your favorite cocktail! PS She was a hell of a cook! Your video was awesome! Great job ladies!!

Becky | The Cookie Rookie — February 12, 2015 at 12:07 pm

So beautiful!!! Can you pass one my way?? Cheers 🙂

Lisa @ Healthy Nibbles & Bits — February 12, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Manhattans are definitely one of my favorite cocktails. LOVE this!

Carolat Wild Goose — February 12, 2015 at 3:56 pm

I have never had one of these. So fun because they are such a classic.

Kathy @ Beyond the Chicken Coop — February 12, 2015 at 10:13 pm

Never had a Manhattan….they look beautiful.

Kate @ Diethood — February 12, 2015 at 11:25 pm

OMG! Kick Sass Kitchen!! I LOVE IT! LOL! It’s the best blog name ever! And this is hilarious! AND I wanna party with you guys! haha

kellie @ The Suburban Soapbox — February 14, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Love the video! So well done! And that Manhattan….I’ll take three please. 🙂

Megan {Country Cleaver} — February 15, 2015 at 9:38 am

Keep up on these Kick Sass Videos!! OMG I’m dying laughing!! And hand me one of these cock-tails, STAT. Don Draper included 😉

1. Pingback: Blue Cheese Steak Crostini {Video} - Running to the Kitchen