Orange Hot Chocolate

This orange hot chocolate combines classic winter flavors and is easily made on the stove top or in your Vitamix. Plus it’s ready in under 10 minutes.

This orange hot chocolate is ready in less than 10 minutes and is perfect for cold winter days.

I used to have a serious distaste for all things chocolate and orange. I thought the flavor combination was weird and didn’t understand why everyone went gaga over it. Then I had a really {like really really really} good truffle from a local chocolate shop. I swear to you I about lost it after I realized how delicious it could taste.

I also blame my hate for chocolate and orange on those crappy chocolate oranges they sell at Christmas. I know I have talked about my distaste for them before and I just can’t get over their weirdness.

{Looking for more chocolate orange deliciousness? Check out these recipes – chocolate orange pudding pie, chocolate orange gingerbread cake and chocolate orange baked doughnuts

This orange hot chocolate is perfectly flavored and can be made in a Vitamix or on the stove top.

I don’t know why they gross me out so much considering some of the weird stuff I ate in my childhood {spam, vienna sausages, wild game meat…} but I just can’t take chocolate seriously when it comes in the shape of an orange and you have to slam it on a table in order for it to break into bite size segments.

This orange hot chocolate is perfect for cold winter nights. Easily make a batch in under 10 minutes.

Soooooo back to the hot chocolate. I made mine in the Vitamix BUT you can easily make it on the stove top too. Either way it’s delicious and ready in under 10 minutes. Plus it’s perfect topped with giant marshmallows or whipped cream. I would have probably use whipped cream if I wasn’t traipsing around outside while taking pictures. Putting a marshmallow on top is a lot easier than trying to whip cream in the frozen tundra.

This orange hot chocolate is the perfect addition to your outdoor winter activities. Deliciously flavored and ready in under 10 minutes.

I’m sure you’re also wondering why there is 5603950945 pictures in this post. Well, I had this idea to this outdoor hot chocolate photo shoot in the middle of snow storm. Luckily my husband was working from home and indulged me in my crazy idea.

This warm orange hot chocolate is perfect for snowy winter days. Plus it's ready in under 10 minutes!

Truvia asked me to spread the word about their #SweetWarmUp winter contest. Share your sledding or sledding inspired photos on the Truvia Facebook page or by using #SweetWarmUp on Instagram or Twitter. The contest runs from February 9th – 24th and fans have the chance to some fun winter inspired prizes!

Since I’m not one to sled (and it was freeeeeeeezing!) I opted to share a few pictures of myself in the snow with a giant cup of my orange hot chocolate. Which by the way would be the perfect beverage to share outside in the snow after an intense round of sledding.

This orange hot chocolate is ready perfect for winter. Easily made on the stove top or in a Vitamix!

Orange Hot Chocolate

This orange hot chocolate combines classic winter flavors and is easily made on the stove top or in your Vitamix. Plus it's ready in under 10 minutes.

Yield: 2 servings

• 1-1/2 cups whole milk
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
  • 2 teaspoons Truvia sweetener (more if you want it sweeter)
  • 1 teaspoon orange zest
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (orange extract can be used for even more flavor)
  • Whipped cream or marshmallows, for topping

Add all ingredients except the whipped cream into your Vitamix blender. If you have a Vitamix Blender that has a hot soup preset option set it and forget it! (Well, don't forget it...drink it after it's done) After your hot chocolate is finished pour it into a mug, top with whipped cream or marshmallows.

If your Vitamix does not have a preset option simple blend on high until hot. This will take about 4 minutes.

* If you don't have a Vitamix (or Blendtec) you could simply add all ingredients (except marshmallows and whipped cream) to a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until fully melted and combined.

Disclosure: This post has been sponsored by Truvia and as always all opinions are 100% my own. There are also affiliate links in this post.

45 Responses to “Orange Hot Chocolate”

Tori@Gringalicious.com — February 13, 2015 at 5:59 am

This is Hot chocolate perfection!
    p.s. Love the pictures with you in the snow. They’re so cute! I miss snow so much.

Charlotte @ Drop Dead Bread — February 13, 2015 at 6:43 am

Alas, I am a sucker for chocolate orange, even the Terry’s variety, which means this recipe is double perfect for me!
    Also, those photos are really cute and you look so warm!

Kathy @ Beyond the Chicken Coop — February 13, 2015 at 7:40 am

This hot chocolate sounds perfect, but what I really love are your pictures! What fun!!!

Mischa @ Accidental Farm Wife — February 13, 2015 at 7:56 am

Ok, yay for your husband indulging your photo shoot. LOVE the pictures! How cute are you!! And the orange hot chocolate sounds perfect for chilling temperatures (ok, 50s…but it was near 80 degrees a couple days ago!).

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — February 13, 2015 at 7:58 am

First off, STOP BEING SO CUTE! I LOVE these photos!
    I grew up not being into the whole orange and chocolate shenanigans, but NOW I totally am!
    I wish I was curled up with this right now! Pinning!

Dawn — February 13, 2015 at 8:20 am

The camera loves you – adorable post and great recipe! I have entered my email and wold love to put you on our list for sponsored brand posts – can you email me?

Susan — February 13, 2015 at 8:21 am

You are adorable! It’s a perfect winter wonderland out there and obviously hot chocolate is a necessary accessory. I’m all for some orange and chocolate but I’ll take mine inside. Also let me talk about the jealousy I have of your husbands awesome photo taking skills, mine doesn’t even know where the shutter button is or how to hold a camera (I hang my head in shame).

Shelby — February 13, 2015 at 8:23 am

I know, this snow has been insane right! I’m only a little north of you (near Catskill) and I know we haven’t gotten as much as those south and east of us, but we have gotten enough. I’m with you on the chocolate orange. Never ever liked them. I love the photos and your idea for sharing the sweet warm up in the midst of all that snow. This weekend is yet another one to enjoy your hot chocolate, I may have to make it myself for a quite time indulgence! 🙂

Liz @ Floating Kitchen — February 13, 2015 at 8:25 am

Love this hot chocolate and I love the photos of you even more! So great!

Wenderly — February 13, 2015 at 8:28 am

You are so cute!! Love those snaps of you! Gorgeous just gorgeous! And the orange hot chocolate looks & sounds divine!

Krista @ Joyful Healthy Eats — February 13, 2015 at 8:40 am

Oh my gosh, you are seriously adorable! Love those photos and of course this chocolate recipe. I’m not a big fan of the orange chocolate combo either, but I trust ya so I’m gonna give it a try! (since you were also a former chocolate orange hater. :)) Pinned girl!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — February 13, 2015 at 8:57 am

I’m glad you’ve come to enjoy the combo of orange and chocolate. I love it! I also love that photo of you with the scrunchy nose. 🙂

Carrie @ poet in the pantry — February 13, 2015 at 9:24 am

I’ve been waiting for this post!! LOVE the photos–you are adorable! 😀 As for those chocolate oranges, yes, they suck. It’s no wonder why you didn’t like the combination of flavors for so long!

Kristina — February 13, 2015 at 9:25 am

fun photos! I love chocolate and orange together – what a great idea for a hot chocolate!

Melanie @ Carmel Moments — February 13, 2015 at 9:34 am

Love this! And it just pops with the blue color. Which also happens to be my favorite!

Happy Valentines’s Day!

Deb @ Cooking on the Front Burner — February 13, 2015 at 9:52 am

LOVE the photo shoot!! The cocoa sounds wonderful especially with that flavor combo!!

Marye — February 13, 2015 at 10:15 am

You are so cute. The hot chocolate sounds fantastic – there won’t be sledding for me here in Texas, and I am thankful for that since I am well past enjoying cold but I DO like to look at snow while drinking something hot…like this… so much yum!

heather @french press — February 13, 2015 at 10:26 am

I absolutely LOVE all of thee photos! what a fun way to spend the afternoon, freezing in the snow, and drinking delicious hot cooa

Tonia from TheGunnySack — February 13, 2015 at 10:37 am

How fun it that? It’s been too cold here in MN to spend much time outside but today is supposed to be a little warmer!

Miranda @ Cookie Dough & Oven Mitt — February 13, 2015 at 11:18 am

First.. your orange hot chocolate selfies are adorable! I love orange and chocolate together. I’m trying out new chocolate recipes, this one will be my next experiment. I’m positive it’s going to be my new favorite!

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — February 13, 2015 at 11:33 am

This orange hot chocolate is just the perfect thing on a cold day!
    I laughed out loud about your dislike of those orange chocolate Christmas candies – I remember! But good orange and chocolate is an awesome combo!
    But I have to tell you, I enjoyed your snow selfies the most! Cute!

Emily @ Life on Food — February 13, 2015 at 12:12 pm

I have been having hot chocolate every night after dinner for dessert. It makes me one happy mama. This jazzed up version sounds delish.

Julia — February 13, 2015 at 12:17 pm

Such a fun way to spruce up hot chocolate! These photos are so fun too.

Alisa @ Go Dairy Free — February 13, 2015 at 12:19 pm

What an awesome flavor combination! And I’m so jealous of those pictures – in the snow, gloves on, hot chocolate – our AC just kicked in of all things! Crazy warm winter.

Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes — February 13, 2015 at 12:55 pm

I used to hate orange and chocolate too and it grew on me! I’m glad I’m not the only one 🙂

Angie — February 13, 2015 at 1:02 pm

Your photos are super cute! I haven’t had that weird chocolate orange, however I’ve had all those other off the wall things like spam, potted meat, vienna sausages, and random game, which are awesome! One of my favs is still sardines in hot sauce. I first had that chocolate and orange combo as an adult, it was chocolates from Italy and it was amazing! So I know your hot chocolate is beyond amazing!

The Food Hunter — February 13, 2015 at 1:45 pm

This has always been one of my favorite flavor combinations. Love the Thermous

kristy @ the wicked noodle — February 13, 2015 at 4:07 pm

I love Truvia and I’m doing a post about their contest, too! What a great post to tie it all together – brilliant! And I seriously cannot wait to try this chocolate orange cocoa – looks soooo good!!

Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom — February 13, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Brandy, you’re gorgeous!!! LOVE these photos. . and can’t wait to try this hot chocolate!!! ORANGE hot chocolate is seriously brilliant!

Holly N @ Spend With Pennies — February 13, 2015 at 7:21 pm

OMG… Orange hot chocolate… sign me up! Sounds like the perfect snow-day treat! (Love the photos BTW, you are so cute!!)

Susan | LunaCafe — February 13, 2015 at 11:47 pm

Love chocolate and orange together. This hot chocolate sounds wonderful.

Jen @ Yummy Healthy Easy — February 14, 2015 at 1:45 am

OMG!!! I LOVE this post so much! I love seeing pictures of you – you are gorgeous! Also, this hot chocolate – swoon. Perfect. And with Truvia AND a Vitamix?? Amazing!! Pinned!

Martha@A Family Feast — February 14, 2015 at 9:50 am

Awww – you are adorable! I love the orange twist on this hot chocolate (and agree – those chocolate oranges taste a little funky…)!

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — February 14, 2015 at 12:56 pm

I really love the third to last picture. I tried to recreate it for my husband just now and my face isn’t playing along. You have skills. 🙂

And I think chocolate and orange is kind of weird but not weird enough to prevent me from from trying this!

Becky | The Cookie Rookie — February 14, 2015 at 2:18 pm

This is the most adorable post ever!! I have tried this too and did not look nearly as cute in front of the camera! Love this, need some today!

eat good 4 life — February 14, 2015 at 3:34 pm

I love me some good hot chocolate. I am sure this was awesome with the hint of orange. Great pictures 🙂

Nicole @ Or Whatever You Do — February 14, 2015 at 3:57 pm

Oh my gosh! That hot chocolate looks incredible, and I LOVE your winter photo shoot! Its more like spring here right now, and once in a while I actually miss the snow.

Heather / girlichef — February 14, 2015 at 4:21 pm

These pictures are so pretty – I love the winter color palate, it’s so cool (like, literally and figuratively). And of course this hot chocolate sounds like perfection.

Megan {Country Cleaver} — February 15, 2015 at 9:47 am

Ohhhh c’mon you are too cute for words!!And this hot cocoa – how did you know orange and chocolate was my kyrptonite?

Cate | Chez CateyLou — February 15, 2015 at 12:08 pm

This hot chocolate sounds amazing, and I love the pictures!! What a fun photo shoot!

Angie+|+Big+Bear's+Wife — February 15, 2015 at 1:46 pm

I never really got into those weird chocolate oranges either, something about them was just odd haha. But this however, I could fall in love with this! I adore those photos of you haha, too cute!

Coleen @ The Redhead Baker — February 16, 2015 at 12:30 pm

I’ve been waiting for this post since you posted the preview pictures on Facebook. Orange hot chocolate sounds absolutely delicious!!

Sylvie | Gourmande in the Kitchen — February 17, 2015 at 9:39 pm

I’m a sucker for that chocolate orange combination. Maybe it’s from all those chocolate covered candied orange peels I’ve consumed over the years!

Joanne — February 18, 2015 at 12:04 am

These photos of you are THEEE cutest!!

1. Pingback: Hot Chocolate Recipes You Have to Try