Burrata Caprese Salad

This burrata caprese salad is the perfect plate of summer. Fresh plump tomatoes drizzled with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and served with fresh burrata cheese and basil.Β

Yesterday I drove what felt like 4 bazillion miles to Ohio from New York. I have made this drive hundreds of times but the big difference is that usually my husband is with me. He is the one that does the driving and I’m the one playing around on my phone and taking naps every few hours.

When you do the drive yourself is sucks. Big time. There is no one to talk too. No one take over driving so you can just nap because you’re tired. Talk radio is great for like 2 hours, until you realize you don’t actually care about anything their talking about, and the radio plays the same songs WAY too much. It’s pure hell. The only plus side to traveling alone is that I blast my music when a good song comes on the radio. The hubs is not really a fan of loud music.

In my defense how can one NOT blast Real McCoy?Β

So now here I lay on my old childhood bed totally beat and not really wanting to post today. So instead of sharing something fancy I’m sharing something simple. This salad is something I eat at least once a week during the summer. It’s so simple to throw together and I have the basil from the front porch, tomatoes from my neighbors bush and the burrata from the store.

I’m not a colonial woman. I’m not making burrata myself.

All you do it throw it together and drizzle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, kosher salt and LOTS of fresh cracked pepper. It’s so good my mouth is seriously salivating just thinking about it.

{Looking for more easy tomato recipes? Try my savory tomato cobbler, spicy 30 minute tomato sauce or my summertime tomato sandwich}

Now I know this recipe is far from rocket science but it is totally perfect for summer. It’s easy, requires zero cooking and uses up ingredients that grow like weeds in the summer.

Well, except for the burrata. You sorta need to go to the store and get that. But it’s totally worth it because BURRATAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Burrata Caprese Salad

Yield: 2-4 servings

• 1 ball of burrata
  • 2-3 large tomatoes, sliced
  • Handful ofΒ large basil leaves
  • Extra virgini olive oil
  • Balsamic vingar
  • Kosher salt
  • Fresh cracked pepper

Place burrata ball in the middle of a platter and arrange tomato slices and bail leaves around the cheese.

Drizzle everything with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar. You don't want to drown the salad in dressing just enough to moisten everything and bring in flavor.

Sprinkle on kosher salt and black pepper.

23 Responses to “Burrata Caprese Salad”

Beth — July 9, 2015 at 8:21 am

Awwww, the joys of sleeping in your childhood bed.. it’s not as joyful as it once was, right?! That’s where the burrata comes into play πŸ™‚

Kathy @ Beyond the Chicken Coop — July 9, 2015 at 8:39 am

We don’t always need something that took hours to concoct to be amazing. This looks great with just it’s simplicity and amazing ingredients.

judy@ImBoredLetsGo — July 9, 2015 at 8:40 am

I hate driving long distances, alone…heck I hate driving all together! Now this salad… I love caprese and eat it all the time. Using burrata just upped the deliciousness factor 100x

Kristen Chidsey — July 9, 2015 at 9:24 am

I have made the drive from Georgia to Ohio many times–with 2 kids and a dog. So much easier when my husband is there too, I agree!! But I would drive for this salad!

cristina — July 9, 2015 at 10:12 am

Your Burrata Caprese Salad is absolutely perfect not only during summer but all through the year (but especially when basil is abundant!). Really delicious and my kinda eats any day. Thanks for sharing…. πŸ™‚

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — July 9, 2015 at 10:51 am

Such a stunner! That burrata looks so creamy..I could die!! Love.

Kacey @ The Cookie Writer — July 9, 2015 at 11:02 am

Ahhhhh! Caprese is my favourite and this is seriously making me jealous that I do not have this in my life right now! I mean it, I need this! As for lonesome car rides, I have satellite radio for that exact reason so I do not get bored πŸ™‚

Rachael @ La Fuji Mama — July 9, 2015 at 12:13 pm

I’ll take simple over fancy any day if I get to eat this!!

Justine | Cooking and Beer — July 9, 2015 at 1:54 pm

Ugh. I absolutely despise driving. I can totally feel your pain! This salad is just gorgeous, and burrata makes my world go round! Yum!

Melanie | Melanie Makes — July 9, 2015 at 2:56 pm

Welcome back to Ohio! Once a week? I’d eat this deliciousness like everyday if possible. Love these flavors together!

Julia — July 9, 2015 at 3:02 pm

Welcome to Ohio….and this rainy mess we are having. πŸ™ This salad looks like the perfect thing to cheer you up. I love burrata and with those dark red tomatoes I bet this salad is just delicious!

Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes — July 9, 2015 at 5:07 pm

So weird – i was JUST going through old photos and found one of burrata that I had at a restaurant in Boston. I was thinking I need to have it at home sometime soon! Love this idea!

Danae @ Recipe Runner — July 9, 2015 at 5:07 pm

Long road trips alone totally suck and I can only take listening to the same songs over and over for so long. This burrata salad however does not suck because burrata! πŸ™‚

Dee Dee (My Midlife Kitchen) — July 9, 2015 at 6:30 pm

I. Love. Burrata. There is nothing like that creamy texture to make me feel like I’m splurging, which of course I am. Anything with a caprese twist is ALWAYS a winner in my book!

brenda@sugarfreemom — July 9, 2015 at 8:58 pm

I’m so embarrassed to say I’ve never had burrata! This looks so incredible!

Michelle @ Blackberry Babe — July 9, 2015 at 10:32 pm

Gah!!! Burrata on all the things! Looks incredible.

Laura — July 10, 2015 at 12:02 am

Love these flavors–and this looks like a perfect use for the balsamic vinegar I brought home from Italy! Now if it would get hot enough to grow decent tomatoes!

Joanne — July 11, 2015 at 7:51 am

“I’m not a colonial woman” – I think that has to be my favorite one-liner of all time. Also, I want to eat this every night for dinner all summer long.

Kelley — July 11, 2015 at 11:14 am

Oh I hate driving alone! I actually don’t like driving much period. I enjoy letting the hubby drive while I watch Netflix. Or nap. It’s the best part of road tripping! ha! Glad you made it home ok! And this salad looks divine!

Rose | The Clean Dish — July 11, 2015 at 9:14 pm

You’re right, this IS perfect for summer! It doesn’t always have to be complicated — sometimes, I’m just looking for inspiration and I’ve definitely found it!! I have a bunch of tomatoes and basil so this is a no-brainer πŸ™‚

Jaren (Diary of a Recipe Collector) — July 12, 2015 at 12:01 pm

I like being the rider as opposed to the driver too! Time passes so quickly when I get to just play on my phone. I love how this recipe just screams summer!

1. Pingback: summer produce guide: what to eat right now (late august) | brooklyn supper

2. Pingback: Fig Goat Cheese Salad with Fig Vinaigrette | Nutmeg Nanny