This apple butter bbq chicken sandwich is made with a homemade apple butter bbq sauce, roasted chicken breast and topped with a tangy apple cilantro slaw.
Growing up we always ate shredded chickens sandwiches. You took fresh shredded chicken (that you could buy in the store fresh thanks to a local place called Root’s Poultry) mixed with some cream of mushroom soup, let it warm and then pile it high on a soft squishy roll. This is the type of sandwich that you would have at almost any occasion – birthday party, baby shower, wedding, etc. Basically if there was an event where people gathered there was bound to be shredded chicken.
Now, living in New York I cannot just easily go to the store and pick up a few pound of pre-shredded chicken. Soooooooo I have to do it myself. Not that it’s hard or anything, but it’s still an extra step.
You feel my pain?
Yeah, probably not. I’m just whining.
Now as you can see this version of a shredded chicken sandwich is not swimming in cream of something soup. This version is swimming in a homemade sweet and spicy Musselman’s apple butter bbq sauce and topped with tangy green apple and cilantro slaw. It’s a giant burst of flavor and totally worth all the extra chicken roasting effort.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, small dice
- 1 cup Musselman's apple butter
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 large granny smith apple, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 2 large bone-in chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 12 small slider-sized buns
- Add a medium-sized skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. When the oil is hot add the onions and sauté just until transparent and soft.
- Add in remaining ingredients and lower heat to low.
- Simmer for about 10-15 minutes to let the flavors meld together.
- Add salt and pepper if desired/needed.
- Toss with shredded chicken or pork.
- Note: If the sauce is not sweet enough you can always add a few tablespoons of dark brown sugar. This will depend on whether or not you like a sweet BBQ sauce.
- Mix ingredients together and serve on top of sandwiches.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a rimmed baking sheet with a Silpat liner or parchment paper.
- Drizzle each breast with olive oil and season with kosher salt and pepper.
- Roast for about 45 minutes until fully cooked.
- Remove from the oven, let cool slightly and pull the chicken from the breast.
- Mix shredded chicken with warm apple butter bbq sauce and stir to combine.
- Place chicken on a small slider bun and top with slaw.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1283Total Fat: 52gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 30gCholesterol: 259mgSodium: 1772mgCarbohydrates: 123gFiber: 9gSugar: 54gProtein: 78g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.