These sun-dried tomato chicken burgers are packed with flavor and topped with smoked mozzarella cheese. If you’re looking to jazz up your burger routine this recipe is just what you need!
I know – ANOTHER chicken burger.
Well, it’s true. I’m here with yet another chicken burger recipe.
I can’t help it. I just love chicken burgers.
Ground chicken is such a versatile protein and it can handle a TON of flavor.
So, to me, it makes it the perfect choice for a burger.
I also went ahead and topped these burgers with cheese because cheese = delicious.
You could really use whatever cheese you have on hand but I opted to use smoked mozzarella. I think smoked provolone would work great too.
Ingredients for sun dried tomato chicken burgers
- ground chicken: ground chicken is easily found in almost any grocery store. If you can’t find ground chicken you could also ground turkey or ground pork.
- sun-dried tomatoes: you want to look for sun-dried tomatoes NOT in oil. You can typically find them in the grocery store near where you would find nuts or dried fruits.
- fresh oregano: I personally think fresh oregano is the best option for this burger. It’s such a bright flavorful herb. If you can’t find fresh you can use dried but you’ll want to use about half as much. Dried spices are a lot more potent.
- garlic: yeah, you knew you were gonna need that.
- smoked mozzarella: I used a lovely fresh smoked mozzarella cheese that went perfectly with all the sun-dried tomato flavor. If you can’t find (or don’t like) smoked mozzarella cheese you could easily do fresh mozzarella or provolone cheese.
- microgreens: totally not necessary but I love the little brightness greens bring to a burger. Another great option is baby arugula.
I really like to leave bun options up to you but this worked wonderfully with a brioche bun. I toasted it lightly because who doesn’t love a well-toasted bun?
If you’re new to cooking with ground chicken it’s totally normal that it’s super soft.
The burgers do hold up well to cooking but you just need to be a little more gentle. If the softness bothers you (or you plan on grilling) you can add in a little panko bread crumbs (about 1/4 cup) to help firm up the patties.
Again, totally optional but I do find panko bread crumbs help when doing patties for the grill.
Also, obviously, in the photos, I made my burgers into double patty sliders.
You can 100% do this just by breaking the meat into 8 small patties instead of 4 regular burger-sized patties.
This won’t affect much about how you make the burgers except lessen the cooking time. Just keep this in mind if you opt to make sliders vs. burgers.
You’ll also want to cut your cheese in half so that every baby slider can get covered in cheese #leavenoburgeruncovered
More chicken burger recipes
- Love a sweet and savory burger? Try my Apple Butter Onion Chicken Burgers.
- Craving big flavor? Try my Thai Chicken Burgers.
- Want a herb-packed burger? Try my Chicken Souvlaki Burgers.
- Need a flavor-packed burger? Try my Chicken Tandoori Burger.
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1/3 cup minced sun dried tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slices smoked mozzarella cheese
- 4 buns, lightly toasted
- Microgreens, for topping, optional
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl add ground chicken, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, oregano, kosher salt, and black pepper.
- Using your hands, mix together the ingredients until fully combined.
- Divide into 4 equal-sized patties.
- In a 12-inch skillet add olive oil and set over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot add in the burger patties.
- Cook until no longer pink and feels firm to the touch, about 5 minutes per side.
- Add smoked mozzarella cheese to your burgers and let rest, covered for 2 minutes, to melt the cheese.
- To serve, add to the toasted bun and add some microgreens.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 465Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 144mgSodium: 802mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 38g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.