Mulled Cider

Welcome to day two of The Twelve Boozy Days of Christmas!

Today I’m going to showcase a very classic winter drink – Mulled Cider.  It’s filled with warm spices, hints of lemon and of course a little booze :) Spiced rum to be exact.  Nothing wrong with that in my book!

This recipe is enough to serve eight guests or to have one drunk night by yourself :)

Mulled Cider

Yield: 8 glasses

2 quarts apple cider (8 cups)
12 oz. spiced rum
4 strips lemon zest
2 cinnamon sticks
2 whole star anise
1 teaspoon whole allspice berries
1 teaspoon whole cloves

Source: Slightly adapted from Martha Stewart

Heat all ingredients in a saucepan and strain into warmed mug.

24 Responses to “Mulled Cider”

Keeley — December 2, 2010 at 10:26 am

I love cider and I love rum… this looks sooo good!

Jessica — December 2, 2010 at 10:48 am

oooh this looks great! I loved mulled cider and now that it’s turned cold and yucky in Ohio, this will be perfect!

Kim — December 2, 2010 at 12:25 pm

this looks great…. right now i’m leaning toward the one drunk night by my self. :)

Tiffany — December 2, 2010 at 12:33 pm

This looks awesome. Cider and rum….yum!

Joanne — December 2, 2010 at 12:50 pm

After the horrible exam I just took…I think I’m veering towards one drunken night. This cider sounds delicious! I love the spices in it.

Blond Duck — December 2, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I don’t know why, but this makes me wonder: do you have a good spiced apple recipe?

Heavenly Housewife — December 2, 2010 at 2:44 pm

What a great warming drink on a cold winter’s day. I love all the spices.
    *kisses* HH

Faith — December 2, 2010 at 3:37 pm

This is a favorite in my house! Love it!

5 Star Foodie — December 2, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Loving your 12 boozy days of Christmas so far! The mulled cider sounds wonderful! I really like the shot, focusing on the cinnamon sticks, gorgeous!

Reeni — December 2, 2010 at 8:15 pm

I wish I had some right now! Delicious!

rebecca — December 2, 2010 at 10:43 pm

looks great and what a fun series

Barbara — December 3, 2010 at 7:41 am

Going back to your last post: did you see both the candy cane martini (which I think is such a cute idea) and the egg nog martini recipes posted on someone’s blog who had been to some sort of event? Recipes were provided and she posted them. I copied both.
    The candy cane martini had vodka, BOLS peppermint white and white cranberry juice. The eggnog had dark rum, spiced rum and eggnog.

Now, as for THIS mulled cider recipe, all I can say is yum! bring it on!

girlichef — December 3, 2010 at 7:50 am

Oh, nothing wrong with that in my book, either! In fact, everything’s SO right ;) Look perfect…wish I could have a cup to warm me up for breakfast. Hey, kids are off to school…so…. ;)

heather — December 3, 2010 at 8:39 am

I agree with everyone in that it LOOKS great, but I’m such a wimp when it comes to hard liquor. It makes my nose crinkle just thinking about it. Maybe I should start small with tons of cider and little rum, then work my way up gradually to the full amount. Not all on the same night, of course! Think it’ll cure me of my affliction?

Cheers,

*Heather*

Erica — December 3, 2010 at 9:36 am

mmm I love cider, but I’ve never had a “drunken” version. Sounds tasty, must give it a try

Melody Fury — December 3, 2010 at 3:27 pm

What a stunning holiday recipe! Would you like to submit it to my contest to win a cookbook? Just wanting to share the holiday cheer (and exposure to your blog) Would love for you to win :) http://ow.ly/3j61M

grace — December 4, 2010 at 1:43 am

i still say i’m no boozer, but i’d enjoy this very much. you’re two for two in my eyes, brandy! :)

culinaryneophyte — December 4, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Beautiful photos!

megan — December 5, 2010 at 1:43 am

I’ll take a cup of that please. Looks perfect for these cold nights!

Friedl — December 5, 2010 at 4:29 am

Haha, I love the concept !
    That mulled cider sounds really good, I should try it…

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention The Twelve Boozy Days of Christmas – Mulled Cider | Nutmeg Nanny -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: The Twelve Boozy Days of Christmas – Warm Vanilla Cider | Nutmeg Nanny

3. Pingback: Celebrate This: Mulled Cider Day | Life of the Party

4. Pingback: Mulled Cider cocktail idea by The Simplifiers | Austin, TX — The Simplifiers : Event Planning - Austin, Texas