Blood Orange Margarita

Happy National Margarita Day!!!

I made this little gem a while ago and was waiting for the perfect moment to share the recipe. I guess no moment is more perfect than National Margarita Day!

Since blood oranges are popping up in stores I couldn’t resist buying a bag.  They are so amazingly beautiful.  Plus not to mention their amazing flavor.

Plus if you take that delicious flavor and pair it with tequila, lime juice and Cointreau you get an amazing party in your mouth! And lets face it…who doesn’t want a party in their mouth?

Blood Orange Margarita

Yield: 1 margarita

1 1/2 ounces gold tequila
1 ounce Cointreau
1 ounce fresh lime juice
2 ounces blood orange juice
Salt for the rim
Blood orange and lime slices for garnish

Rim your glass in some of the fresh squeezed blood orange juice and dip in salt.

Fill glass with ice.

In a pitcher or cocktail shaker, combine tequila, Cointreau, lime juice and blood orange juice. Shake until combined. Pour over ice and add in blood orange and lime slices.

*I have seen some blood orange margarita recipes that contain simple syrup. My oranges were sweet enough to leave the extra sugar out. If you feel like you want a little extra sweetness you can add an ounce of simple syrup.

17 Responses to “Blood Orange Margarita”

Stephanie — February 22, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I love blood oranges (who doesn’t?)! I just got 2 lbs. for $1.99 at Trader Joe’s. I’m going to go get some more and I have to add this margarita to my to-make list. It looks absolutely wonderful Brandy!

Blog is the New Black — February 22, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Yay! Happy margarita day to you! 😉

Erica — February 22, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I still am yet to try a blood orange on its own! They are gorgeous- totally buying some this week! Pretty drink 🙂

Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen — February 23, 2012 at 12:01 am

I could really go for one of these right now! Gorgeous and it looks so refreshing. Yum!!!

Julie @ Table for Two — February 23, 2012 at 10:31 am

oh heyyyyyyyy gurlfraaannd..totally would love to have a sip of this right now!! it’s the evening somewhere — right?!

Emily — February 23, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Margaritas make me so happy and this one is so pretty! I’ve pinned it and I can’t wait to try it!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — February 23, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I demand a sample in a 12oz glass 😉

Julia — February 23, 2012 at 2:41 pm

My favorite part about these is that I can have them for breakfast because the oranges are like orange juice. I’m on my way to the store right now and added blood oranges to the list. I hope they have some because I need to make this, STAT!

blogcomment@creative-culinary.com — February 23, 2012 at 3:49 pm

You know I love these. So much so that I bought a bunch of blood oranges yesterday so that I can juice them and freeze the juice for summer. I’m a staunch fan of my tried and true recipe which includes both lemon and lime juices and grated rind and hours of time in the fridge for the best meld of flavors BUT these were fantastico! Truly the prettiest margarita I’ve ever made. Try making them with an aged tequila sometime; I think the bit of aging with a reposado elevates them even more.

Doggone it…I want one now!

Cheers!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray (Soon to be Rachel Cooks) — February 23, 2012 at 8:59 pm

YES PLEASE.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — February 23, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Seriously?! I missed National Margarita day? i am so upset about this. I would have drank a couple of these, they sound amazing!

Terra — February 24, 2012 at 12:04 am

I just ate a blood orange tonight, I am in love with them! This sounds awesome, and looks gorgeous! Hugs, Terra

Cathy @ Savory Notes — February 25, 2012 at 12:40 am

I just made one of these. T-A-S-T-Y. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go make another.

Lucie (Thursday Night Dinner) — February 26, 2012 at 6:16 pm

this looks amazing i cant wait to try it out

nicole @ I am a Honey Bee — April 3, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I could use one of these right about now!!

1. Pingback: Small Bites For Oscar Night | From Valerie's Kitchen

2. Pingback: {Happy Margarita Day} Margarita Recipes With a Twist | Sweet Little Sparrow