Nectarine, Sage & Blue Cheese Pizza

Every now and again you fall in love. Hard. Now don’t worry. I’m still getting married in October. I’m not running off with anyone new. I’m talking about this pizza. This wonderful, delicious and beautiful pizza.

I have never been a big fan of blue cheese but I’m trying to learn to love it. I just can’t accept that I don’t like blue cheese. Everyone else seems to love it. People rave about how it’s the best thing since sliced bread. I feel the same way about fish and olives. I hate them too. Maybe someday I will learn to the love them. If not, I’m guessing I will survive.

What about you? Are there any foods you can’t stand?

So, now while I may not start slathering everything I own in blue cheese (who would?) I will gladly eat this pizza. The blue cheese brought a nice sharp note to the sweet nectarines. Oh, and that sage. I grew it. Yep. I have managed to not kill my herbs…yet. Well except my basil. That is on it’s way out the door. For some reason it likes to keep dying on me. It looks great, then one day I see a little brown on the stem, then more brown and then death. It’s a tragic cycle that keeps happening. Sigh.

Nectarine, Sage & Blue Cheese Pizza

Yield: 2 small pies

Whole wheat pizza dough (store bought is fine)
Olive oil
8 ounces blue cheese
1 nectarine - sliced
2-4 sage leaves - chopped (depends on size of leave and love of sage)
Kosher salt
Fresh cracked pepper

Source: Recipe adapted from Alexandra's Kitchen

Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.

Let dough reach room temperature and divide in half. Sprinkle a little corn meal on parchment lined baking sheet and pull out dough to create a small pizza. Do this with both pieces of dough.

Drizzle each pie with olive oil. Using a pastry brush spread it evenly over the dough. Top each pie with 4 ounces blue cheese and a few nectarine slices.

Bake for 18 minutes until cheese is melted and dough is cooked through.

Sprinkle pies evenly with sage after removing them from the oven and let sit for a few minutes before digging in!

Enjoy!

29 Responses to “Nectarine, Sage & Blue Cheese Pizza”

Miriam @ Overtime Cook — June 27, 2012 at 12:25 am

This pizza looks amazing! And I know I am late on this but…I love your redesign!

darla magee — June 27, 2012 at 1:27 am

pretty pretty!

Kathryn — June 27, 2012 at 5:07 am

I’m not a big fan of blue cheese by itself either but I love the intriguing combination of flavours here!

Blog is the New Black — June 27, 2012 at 5:29 am

Loving this unique idea!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — June 27, 2012 at 8:48 am

Well I have the sage (thank you!) and nectarines so I think I need to get myself some blue cheese. I love the mold stuff so any excuse to eat it is taken advantage of :)

Samantha — June 27, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I want to eat this.

Shannon — June 27, 2012 at 4:25 pm

this combination sounds amazing!! i don’t love blue cheese, but i can handle gorgonzola just fine, so that will be on my pizza ;)

• Brandy replied: — June 28th, 2012 @ 9:34 am

I love gorgonzola! Especially on salad…yum!

Keeley @ My Life on a Plate — June 27, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Even though I don’t like blue cheese (it’s just sooo tangy!) I’d be willing to try a bite of this pizza, especially if it was grilled.

My sage has been growing out of control for 4 summers now. Sage is a perennial and if you cut it back at the end of the season it will grow even bigger next year. At the end of September I hang my sage leaves upside down to try them and I crumble them up and use the dried sage all winter.

As far as foods I hate… well, there are a few. Mayonaise (I abhor it), olives, and cold cuts. There are other foods that I don’t prefer (mushrooms, sour cream, hard boiled eggs, and mustard), but I can tolerate them in small doses or when they are well-disguised in a dish. But that mayo thing? Yuck, yuck and yuck!

• Brandy replied: — June 28th, 2012 @ 9:36 am

Oh no! No mayo? I would cry. I even dip my fries in mayo…haha. I’m glad to hear you don’t like olives. It’s nice to know I’m not the only one :)

My sage is in a pot so I’m not sure how well it’s going to last through the winter. I do know that it’s grows like crazy and is producing a ton! I’m going to have to dry it because there is no way I can use this much sage in one season.

Julie @ Table for Two — June 27, 2012 at 5:58 pm

yum!! this looks so good! i love pizzas that have the sweet fruit on top, especially seasonal fruits. great choice on the blue cheese too!

Joanne — June 27, 2012 at 8:37 pm

I really can’t get behind celery. Like, at all. Or mayo. Or sour cream. I’m working on mustard.

But blue cheese and fruit and in my pizzas? I totally love those!

• Brandy replied: — June 28th, 2012 @ 9:37 am

When I was a kid I used to hate celery because of the stringiness. I hated the way it would get caught in my throat.

5 Star Foodie — June 27, 2012 at 9:43 pm

That is one amazing summer time pizza! Loving the combination of nectarines and blue cheese!

amanda @ fake ginger — June 27, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Mmm, I love blue cheese so much! I would totally slather it on everything I own but then I would probably be single. And have no friends. The dog probably wouldn’t even hang out with me.

Anyway, the pizza looks delicious! Sage is probably my favorite herb ever and I’m jealous that you grew it. I kill everything. :(

• Brandy replied: — June 28th, 2012 @ 9:38 am

Haha I knew there would be one of those “slather it on everything” people out there :) Don’t worry about killing everything. This is the first year where I have manged to sorta keep things alive. My basil is dying though…sigh.

Rachel Cooks — June 28, 2012 at 8:11 am

Dang. You like goat cheese AND blue cheese? Can we still be friends?

• Brandy replied: — June 28th, 2012 @ 9:40 am

Well I really only slightly like blue cheese. Only on this pizza. I have tried blue cheese on a million different other things and it was gross. But goat cheese. I’m all over that! :) I’m assuming we can still be friends just because of my sheer awesomeness….am I wrong? :)

brandi — June 28, 2012 at 10:02 am

don’t hate me. but….i’m not a fan of blue cheese! i don’t know what it is. but i would probably eat this anyway :) OR use goat cheese instead. yum.

Jersey Girl Cooks — June 28, 2012 at 10:21 am

I used to not like blue cheese but one day I started liking it. I can’t eat big hunks at once but love it crumbled with other things. Love this pizza and it looks so pretty!

Sandi — June 28, 2012 at 10:29 am

What a beauty, and that sage!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — July 4, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I think blue cheese is best enjoyed when paired with something a little sweet like, pears or honey or like you did here with the nectarines, which by the way sounds amazing and I have to try!

Amy (Savory Moments) — July 5, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I love the combination of flavors on this pizza. Fruit + cheese + herb is always great. Very lovely indeed.

Jen @ Jen's Favorite Cookies — July 6, 2012 at 12:23 pm

This is such a brilliant idea, with the nectarines. Plus, it’s beautiful and I can’t wait to try it! I’ve had a hard time with blue cheese in the past, but I’m learning to love it. Good luck to us both! ;)

Michelle — July 6, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Looks beautiful and like something I would like to try a bite of!! :) I’m with you on the blue cheese…the only time it was okay with me was a little bit sprinkled on beefsteak tomatoes and then drenched in balsamic vinaigrette. I hate mayo, mustard, sweet pickles, raw onion, any seafood except for salmon, and sushi. Love olives, could eat them every day! Go figure :)

Michelle — July 6, 2012 at 5:01 pm

AND I think drinking milk is gross! Only over cereal.

1. Pingback: Nectarine pizza