Zucchini Fritters {Mid-East Feast}

Today I’m bringing you some amazingly delicious zucchini fritters for the Mid-East Feast virtual dinner party! These fritters are the perfect appetizer because they can be made quickly and they re-heat like a dream! Which means you can prep early in the day and spend little to no time in the kitchen for dinner.

Shamefully I have to admit that I have never really thrown a true dinner party. My crazy work schedule usually has me working on the weekends so it’s hard to have a parties during the week. That is why I love this idea of  a virtual party. I get all the delicious food without the craziness of actually throwing a party. Oh, and I don’t have to clean the house like a crazy fool since no one is actually coming over. It’s a win win in my book.

Now, the thing I like about these fritters is that they are a little more eggy than the zucchini fritters I have had in the past. Usually I find them to be more like a pancake or more like a hash brown. These little fritters are almost like a little egg zucchini patty. Plus, I love that the zucchini is cooked beforehand so it does not create a watery batter.

Zucchini Fritters

Yield: 16 - 20 pancakes (depending on size)

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
3/4 lb (350 g) zucchini (about 1 medium), grated
2 large cloves garlic, crushed in a mortar and pestle with 1 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 bunch fresh parsley, minced
Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
Canola oil, for frying

Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat; add the onion and cook until it starts to soften, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the zucchini and cook until softened and the water has evaporated, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally; add the garlic and cook 1 minute more, stirring constantly. Cool slightly.

Lightly beat together the eggs, flour, parsley, and black pepper in a medium bowl. Stir in the zucchini mixture.

Add enough canola oil to a large nonstick skillet to lightly coat the bottom; heat the oil over medium heat.

Drop the batter into the hot pan using a small (about 2 tablespoon) or large (about 4 tablespoon) scoop. Fry until set and golden on one side, about 2 minutes; flip and cook until set and golden on the other side, about 1 minute.

Transfer the cooked fritters to a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil, and cook the remaining egg mixture the same way, adding more oil to the skillet as necessary.

Check out the other Mid-East Feast participants zucchini fritters!

Jeanette – Jeanette’s Healthy Living
Amanda – Fake Ginger
Gina – Running to the Kitchen
Joanne – Eats Well With Others
Heather – Girlichef
Natasha – Five Star Foodie
Megan – What’s Megan Making
Rachel – Baked by Rachel

21 Responses to “Zucchini Fritters {Mid-East Feast}”

Rachel Cooks — October 15, 2012 at 8:34 am

When you asked me to participate in this, I didn’t know it was *this* cookbook (probably my fault, I’m in la-la land half of the time)! I think it looks amazing and I’d love to try cooking some of our Middle Eastern favorites at home.

Can’t wait to see more!

Faith — October 15, 2012 at 9:28 am

Ahhh, I’m so excited — your fritters look gorgeous, Brandy!!! I’m so glad you enjoyed them too. Thank you again SO MUCH for organizing this!

amanda @ fake ginger — October 15, 2012 at 9:40 am

They look awesome! I had planned on making mine tomorrow but I’m thinking they might get made today! I can’t wait!

Mackenzie {SusieFreakingHomemaker} — October 15, 2012 at 9:52 am

I have never made middle eastern food – I must change this! These would be a great start!! Vitual dinner parties have to be better than real ones – less dishes, yes!?

carrian — October 15, 2012 at 11:31 am

OHHHHH BABY! This looks awesome! I hvae people over for dinner often, but I’ve yet to thrown a for real dinner party. I want to though!

Mimi @ Culinary Couture — October 15, 2012 at 1:47 pm

How does one go about becoming part of these virtual parties? Also, these look GREAT!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — October 15, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I love zucchini so I know I’d inhale these fritters. Beautiful!

Mary — October 15, 2012 at 2:54 pm

These sound delicious – making them tonight! Thanks!

Jeanette — October 15, 2012 at 7:39 pm

These came out so beautifully! Thanks so much for organizing this event – I am really enjoying Faith’s new cookbook and thrilled to have the chance to participate.

Lynna — October 15, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Oh these are pretty cool! This dinner party idea is awesome.

Joanne — October 15, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I absolutely ADORED these and am posting on Wednesday! I loved the texture too…felt like I was really eating a pancake!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — October 15, 2012 at 9:34 pm

They turned out great!

Jenny — October 16, 2012 at 8:19 am

These look delicious – I have this book on my wish list!

Ruthy @ omeletta — October 16, 2012 at 9:15 am

These look excellent! I like the idea of cooking the zucchini beforehand for non-watery batter as well. My fritters are usually the hash brown variety, so I bet these pancake-ish ones would be a great change. With some lemon sour cream on the side? Yum.

5 Star Foodie — October 17, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Brandy, thanks so much for organizing this event! We loved the zucchini fritters and looking forward to the next dishes!

Heather @girlichef — October 18, 2012 at 9:17 am

I was SO pleasantly surprised by these fritters. I know I’ll be making them on a regular basis. Yours look absolutely mouthwatering! Thanks so much for including me in this feast, Brandy :)

Gwen @SimplyHealthyFamily — October 18, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I love fritters and Middle Eastern food although I haven’t ventured to cook it at home as often as I’d like. I truly look forward to following all of your recipes for this virtual dinner party.

J.Alexander — April 8, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Will be making these tonight for my wife. This looks good.

1. Pingback: Zucchini Fritters | Baked by Rachel