Goat Butter Biscuits

Bear with me as I go off topic for a bit. This week we finally decided to cut cable. This has resulted in a lot of Netflix, Amazon Prime and Aereo watching. It’s not bad. I get to catch up on old shows while I’m puttering away in the kitchen. Plus it save a lot of money each week that was being wasted on cable.

This week I stumbled onto Amazon and saw that they have the original Beverly Hills, 90210. Now a normal person would probably drift off into a nostalgic daydream about how much they loved the show, but not me. I wasn’t allowed to watch. Apparetnly it was to “risqué” and my parents needed to shield my young eyes.

So now here I am. A 31 year old woman watching 90210 for the first time ever. I’m only in the middle of the first season and so far here are my thoughts:

• Brandon Walsh is really cute. If I were still a kid I would tear out his picture in my Teen Pop magainze and hang it on my ceiling.
  • Brenda is really annoying. Every time I see her face I just think about the annoying little sister she played in the movie “Girls Just Want to Have Fun”
  • Luke Perry is cute but way tooooooooo skinny. Like scrawny skinny. I’ll take Brandon.
  • Jennie Garth is really pretty and if this was 1991 I would probably wet my hair in “Sun-In” and pray it turned me blonde.
  • Brian Austin Green is so young! I’m pretty sure his voice hasn’t even changed yet.
  • Lastly, what in the hell is up with this Andrea Zuckerman character. She looks like she is 30. There is no way that chick is in high school.

Now, onto the biscuits. If you have never had goat butter you need to run out to the store and buy a block. It’s amazing! It’s a little tangy and perfect in these biscuits. The best part about this recipes is that it only use three ingredients…that’s right….three! How simple is that? Make the dough, cut out the delicious little rounds, bake them off and enter heaven!

So, wanna know the best way to eat these bad boys? I found they are best eaten warm, room temperature, slathered with more goat butter, eaten plain and sandwiched with a few pieces of prosciutto in the middle.

Ok, you get it, they are good anyway you eat them.

P.S. Did you watching Beverly Hills, 90201? Did you love it? Am I right about this Andrea character?

Goat Butter Biscuits

2 1/4 cups self-rising flour - plus more as needed
4 ounces chilled goat's-milk butter - cut into 1/2-inch cubes
3/4 cup whole milk

Source: Nathalie Dupree and Cynthia Graubart's Southern Biscuits Cookbook

Prepare a sheet pan with parchment paper, set aside.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Whisk 2 cups of the flour in a large bowl, preferably wider than deeper, and reserve the remaining 1/4 cup of flour. Scatter the pieces of chilled goat’s-milk butter over the flour and work it in with a pastry cutter until the mixture is crumbly, with no pieces larger than a pea.

Refrigerate for 5 minutes if the flour/butter blending took longer than 5 minutes. This will help to chill the fat.

Make a deep hollow in the center of the flour mixture. Pour the milk into the hollow and stir quickly, pulling the flour in using broad circular strokes. Mix just until the dry ingredients are moistened and the dough begins to pull away from the side of the bowl. If there is some flour remaining in the bottom and sides of the bowl, stir in a tablespoon or two of milk to incorporate the remaining flour. If the dough is a little sticky, it may become easier to handle when shaping.

Use some of the reserved flour to dust a clean work surface. Turn the dough out onto the floured surface and sprinkle the top of the dough lightly with flour. Flour your hands.

Fold the dough over in half and pat it out into about a 1/2-inch-thick round, using a little extra flour as needed. Fold the dough again, then pat it to a thickness of 1/2 inch. Brush off any extra flour.

For each biscuit, dip a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter into the reserved flour. Cut out the biscuits very close together, starting at the outside edge, being careful not to twist the cutter. The scraps may be rerolled, although these scraps make tougher biscuits.

Use a spatula to transfer the biscuits to the pan or baking sheet. Bake the biscuits for 10 - 14 minutes until light golden brown. After 6 minutes, rotate the pan in the oven so the front of the pan is now turned to the back, and check to see if the bottoms are browning too quickly. If so, slide another baking pan underneath.

When the biscuits are done, lightly brush the tops with additional melted goat butter. Turn the biscuits out upside down on a plate to cool slightly before serving.

25 Responses to “Goat Butter Biscuits”

Gina — March 6, 2013 at 8:35 am

Haha, this cracked me up. I think my parents banned 90210 too for the same reasons but somehow I caught on while at friends’ houses or elsewhere. I always thought the same thing about Andrea. Her character was just bizarre.

• Brandy replied: — March 7th, 2013 @ 4:32 pm

Agreed. Those big glasses were fooling no one. That chick looked like a teacher.

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — March 6, 2013 at 10:17 am

Hilarious! I loved 90210. I think I would have a totally different view of the characters now though. Probably not Brenda, she is and always will be annoying. You know what show you need to watch next? Party of Five. That was my jam!!! My husband wants to cancel out cable too. I am a little nervous, I love way too many TV shows.

• Brandy replied: — March 6th, 2013 @ 6:55 pm

I only saw one episode of Party of Five and it was the one where Scott Wolf and Jennifer Love Hewitt did “it”…haha. What a great only one episode to see. I hope they get that on demand soon!

Edie C — March 6, 2013 at 11:40 am

Where would one go about finding ‘goat’ butter?

• Brandy replied: — March 6th, 2013 @ 6:51 pm

Hi Edie! You can find goat butter at most gourmet or Whole Food type grocery stores.

Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama — March 6, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Laughing my butt off. Andrea… I always thought she looked like my mom! My parents did not care if I watched crap TV… I think I must have been in the 4th grade when I got really into watching the reruns….. I was 10! Totally too young.

Onto other things… goat butter is nothing I have ever used. I need to see if our local co-op sells it.

• Brandy replied: — March 7th, 2013 @ 4:04 pm

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who feels this way about Andrea. She just seems so odd on the show. I hope your co-op sells the goat butter. It’s amazing!

Carrie @ poet in the pantry — March 6, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Yeah, Andrea was something like 30 (alright, maybe not that old) in real life. Didn’t fit in at all. I had pictures of Brian Austin Green all over my bedroom when 90210 was on–and a few autographed photos and letters from him, before he hit “the big time.” (Alright, did he ever? Still, they seemed authentically innocent at the time, and I still have them.) BTW, congrats on pulling the plug. We did when we moved last year and we’re also utilizing Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime to fill the gap. It works just fine. :)

Now I need to find some goat butter because these look delicious!

• Brandy replied: — March 7th, 2013 @ 4:06 pm

Hahaha I love that you had autographed pictures of Brian Austin Green :) I should confess that I once sent an autographed picture request to Charlie Sheen and he totally sent me one….haha.

Karen — March 7, 2013 at 12:55 am

I am a youngin’ so 90210 was not in my childhood, but I would watch it on SOAPNET every day from 1-2 one summer (followed by the OC). Watched all 9 seasons every day, and it was great. And I agree with you: Brenda is the worse.

These biscuits look amazing, a great treat while observing the 90210 lifestyle.

• Brandy replied: — March 7th, 2013 @ 4:07 pm

90210 is the perfect summertime show :) I can’t wait to see the whole show. I hear there is lots of craziness…haha

Stacey — March 7, 2013 at 1:01 am

These look gorgeous, I wish I had come across your recipe earlier! I had the same butter sitting in my fridge for ages while I pondered its uses, nothing really came of it. Next time, biscuits for sure!

• Brandy replied: — March 7th, 2013 @ 4:14 pm

I hope you get some more butter and give these biscuits a try. They were so tasty!

Sweet as Sugar Cookies — March 7, 2013 at 3:11 am

I liked 90210 when it was in the early seasons – lighthearted and fun. After that, it just got a little too tawdry for my taste. Brandon’s totally my choice too!

• Brandy replied: — March 7th, 2013 @ 4:15 pm

Another one for team Brandon :) (BTW your comment went to spam but I saved it :) )

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — March 7, 2013 at 9:27 am

How did you never watch that show before? haha! :) I love Jason Priestly!! :)

Um, goat butter. How am I not on board with this?

• Brandy replied: — March 7th, 2013 @ 4:18 pm

I know! My parents were so weird about TV. The stuff on TV is WAY worse that this show. At least I’m finally getting my Brandon Walsh fill :) Also, go get yourself some goat butter. You will LOVE it!

Joanne — March 7, 2013 at 11:56 am

OMG I wasn’t allowed to watch 90210 either!!! It was tragic. I’m so psyched that AMazon has it! I don’t have a tv but watch evertything on Hulu or Amazon…godsends!!

And goat butter. need. in my life.

• Brandy replied: — March 7th, 2013 @ 4:20 pm

Yes! We can be 90210 buddies :)

brandi — March 8, 2013 at 9:05 am

i’ve only seen 1 episode of 90210 in my life. i wasn’t allowed to watch when it was on! so i’ve just never gone back to watch it. but i don’t know if i could handle the fashion now :)

these biscuits look awesome. and goat butter? i think i need some.

Kate | Food Babbles — March 9, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Oh my goodness!! This post cracked me UP!! You are SO right about Andrea. I thought that way back then. She looked like she should have been a teacher at their school. Definitely Brandon all the way. Brenda?? I wanted to smack the snot out of her. And goat cheese? Wowza!! I’m all over it. I need these in my life ASAP. Yum!

Keeley @ My Life on a Plate — March 12, 2013 at 1:01 pm

You crack me up! I am 33 (so I was like 12-14 when that show was on) and my mom wouldn’t let me watch, either. I also could not watch The Simpsons and Married with Children. My mom is old school! I didn’t even get to see any shows on the Disney Channel because they were premium stations an my mom was not going to pay for them!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — March 19, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I am impressed!!!!! They look beautiful and I’ve never worked with goat’s butter. Cheese, yes. Milk, yes. But never butter. Wow a food find I have to try now. Beautiful biscuits, Brandy!

Reeni — March 20, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Haha I was one who made sure I was glued to the tv at least 10 minutes before every episode started! I didn’t have a crush on any of them though – none were my type. Being a lover of goat cheese I could definitely use some goat butter in my life! These are beauties!