Raspberry Vanilla Rice Pudding

Raspberry Vanilla Rice Pudding by Nutmeg Nanny {Made with coconut milk!}

*This post is sponsored by ViSalus. All opinions are my own.

I have a secret love for pudding. I know it’s a little old fashioned and maybe even thought of as an “old persons” dessert. But lets get serious. Pudding is freaking awesome. What’s not to love? Milk, cream, vanilla, chocolate, fruit…how are any of those things bad?

Raspberry Vanilla Rice Pudding by Nutmeg Nanny {Made with coconut milk!}

I had only made rice pudding once in the past and I had a serious craving. I could have easily bought some in the store but rice pudding is definitely something better made at home. I kept pretty traditional with the recipe but I did add a few modern twists. I used a mixture of whole milk and coconut milk and I added a sprinkling of sweet cream Vi-Shape Shake Mix.

Raspberry Vanilla Rice Pudding by Nutmeg Nanny {Made with coconut milk!}

The pudding is creamy, flecked with vanilla beans and topped with a fresh raspberry puree. It was delicious warm and even better after it cools for a few hours. This is no old persons dessert. This is a dessert for all ages. Plus the addition of Vi-Shape Shake Mix helps add a little nutrition to an otherwise pure decadent (although old fashioned) dessert.

Raspberry Vanilla Rice Pudding by Nutmeg Nanny {Made with coconut milk!}

Raspberry Vanilla Rice Pudding

Yield: 4 - 6 servings

Total Time: 45 minutes + 3 hours cooling time

2 cups whole milk
1 (14 ounce) coconut milk
1/2 cup raw medium grain rice
Pinch of kosher salt
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
2 larges egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
2 scoops Vi-Shape Shake Mix (or other protein powder)
1 pint fresh raspberries
2 tablespoons sugar

Source: Slightly adapted from Fine Cooking

In a large sauce pan add whole milk, coconut milk, rice and kosher salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.

Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Remove the lid and simmer uncovered until the mixture is reduced to 3-1/2 cups, about 8 minutes.

In a large bowl whisk together vanilla bean paste, egg yolks and sugar. Add a spoonful of the hot rice mixture to the yolk mixture. Whisking constantly. You are tempering the mixture so the eggs do not scramble. Whisk in a few spoonfuls of the hot rice mixtures and once it's tempered add in the rest of the hot rice mixture and stir.

Add the mixture back to the pan over medium-low heat and stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon. About 2 minutes.

Once the pudding is thick add it to a bowl and cover with a piece of plastic wrap. Make sure to push the plastic wrap onto the surface of the pudding. Add to the refrigerator and let cool completely.

When you are ready to serve your pudding make your fresh raspberry puree.

Add raspberries and sugar to a blender and puree. If the mixture is too thick to puree simply add a few drops of water to loosen the mixture. If your berries are not very sweet you can add another 2 tablespoons of sugar.

To serve your pudding add it to a bowl and top with fresh raspberry puree.

14 Responses to “Raspberry Vanilla Rice Pudding”

Erica — July 2, 2013 at 6:26 am

I agree- rice pudding is totally underrated. So good. That raspberry layer on top is not only pretty, but I bet its so delicious. Great dessert

Happy Valley Chow — July 2, 2013 at 8:53 am

Oh wow that looks and sounds absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

Reeni — July 2, 2013 at 8:42 pm

I’m a pudding lover too! Especially rice pudding. Love the addition of coconut milk with the raspberry topping! Delectable!

Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama — July 2, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Absolutely gorgeous! I love rice pudding, it is one of my favorite desserts. I need need need to make this!

Joanne — July 2, 2013 at 9:48 pm

I’m a big rice pudding fan and I love that I can now eat it almost as a health food! That extra protein totally means I can have it for breakfast, yes??

Chaya — July 2, 2013 at 10:58 pm

That is the best looking rice pudding, I’ve seen.

Gillie — July 3, 2013 at 8:17 am

Another rice pudding fan here. Have you tried coconut and cardomon? That is sublime, I am experimenting with lemongrass and coconut but can’t find a way to cut up the lemongrass small enough to get the flavour but big enough to find before we eat it!

I love the little individual pots. I’ve never tried that before. I have a few glass ramekins so will try that out. Thanks.

Dina — July 3, 2013 at 10:47 am

this sounds really good. i love rice pudding and i’d like to try it with coconut milk and raspberry!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — July 4, 2013 at 5:33 pm

I love rice pudding made with coconut milk – it’s the BEST way! And that layer of berries looks incredible!

Kate | Food Babbles — July 5, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Ooo! I love rice pudding and I’ve never had anything other than a classic version. Love the pairing with raspberries. Yum! So creative.

katie — July 9, 2013 at 11:52 am

my parents use to “force me” to eat rice pudding as a kid… and I hated it. But now as an adult I love the stuff. Definitely need to try making my own!

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life — July 25, 2013 at 8:45 am

That is a gorgeous rice pudding! I haven’t had that in forever…it was always one of my favorites. And I am loving that pretty puree on top!

Katelyn — January 12, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Maybe I’m going crazy, but the ingredients list references protein powder, but you make no mention of it in the recipe…

• nutmegnanny replied: — January 12th, 2014 @ 4:59 pm

Hi Katelyn! In the ingredient list under sugar you should see “2 scoops Vi-Shape Shake Mix (or other protein powder)” Hope this helps!