Cuban Sandwich

This over the top gooey Cuban sandwich is going to make your panini press your new favorite appliance…

Cuban Sandwich Recipe by Nutmeg Nanny

Remember that crispy roast pork I made awhile ago? And that pork panini with rapini and and spicy sauce? Well I’m finally sharing my last sandwich recipe I made with that delicious hunk of meat. This tasty sandwich is simply a classic Cuban. In the past I posted a sandwich called sloppy cubanos but this time I made a full on classic Cuban sandwich.

There is not a lot to a Cuban sandwich but the flavor it creates when cooked together is nothing short of amazing. It’s a tasty mix of roasted pork, ham, pickles, Swiss cheese and yellow mustard. So simple and so delicious.

If only I could have fresh pork sitting in my fridge every single day.

Cuban Sandwich Recipe by Nutmeg Nanny

Cuban Sandwich

Yield: 2 sandwiches

Prep Time: 10

Cook Time: 25

Total Time: 35

4 medium-large slices crusty bread (I used peasant bread)
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
8 thin slices Swiss cheese
8 thick slices crispy roasted pork (more or less depending on slice size or desired sandwich thickness)
8 thin slices smoked ham
4 large pickle slices
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Pre-heat a panini press to medium heat.

Spread 1 tablespoon yellow mustard on one side of each slice of bread.

Add two slices of Swiss cheese to 2 pieces of bread. Top each sandwich with as much or as little roast pork and 3 slices ham. Top each sandwich with 2 more slices of Swiss cheese.

Top with bread and thinly coat the outside of each sandwich with butter.

Add to a pre-heated panini press. Cook for about 15 minutes until the sandwich is hot and cheese is melted.

Items used in this post:

22 Responses to “Cuban Sandwich”

Ruthy @ Omeletta — September 30, 2013 at 9:16 am

Holy wow- this sandwich looks unbelievable!! You really made the most of that crispy pork, I’m dying to get in the kitchen and try my hand at it now.

Norma @ Allspice and Nutmeg — September 30, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Wow! This looks scrumptious. My hubby would be all over this one. Gotta make it for him.

Amy (Savory Moments) — September 30, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Oh this looks so good! I love Cuban sandwiches. They are so yummy.

Joanne — September 30, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Sigh. That melty cheese. Beautiful.

Lora @cakeduchess — October 1, 2013 at 10:34 am

I live on Cuban sandwich heaven here in Florida and haven’t seen one as good looking as yours in a while. Holy cow-I want this for breakfast, lunch and dinner!:)xx

ashley - baker by nature — October 1, 2013 at 10:49 am

Ok… this is killing me!!!! Cubans are my all-time-favorite thing on bread.

grace — October 1, 2013 at 3:20 pm

would you believe i’ve never had a cuban? it’s true. you’ve made it look amazingly appealing. ;)

Reeni — October 1, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Wow, wow, wow! I don’t eat much ham but this could change things! I know my Dad would be thrilled if I made it for him!

Kim (Feed Me, Seymour) — October 2, 2013 at 7:47 am

I think my husband will love me until the ends of the Earth if I make him this sandwich. He adores Cubans and this one looks fantastic. So gooey and cheesy!

carrian — October 2, 2013 at 6:33 pm

holy crap. I mean, wow. Good mercy, child. You aren’t allowed to post this stuff. I am just totally enamord

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life — October 3, 2013 at 8:17 am

I have never had a Cuban sandwich, but I am seriously drooling over here! What a great looking sandwich!!!

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — October 3, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I knew I shouldn’t have clicked over here before dinner! Suddenly my BBQ chicken looks boring….

Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama — October 4, 2013 at 7:52 am

I do love a Cuban sandwich but have never made them at home. I tend only order them when we go out. You photos have me drooling and now this is all I want! Pork and pickles in the Am is totally ok right?

Bree (Skinny Mommy) — October 4, 2013 at 9:41 am

Love Cubans and this one looks amazing!

Katie | Healthy Seasonal Recipes — October 7, 2013 at 11:07 am

Oh good gracious! I feel like making Homer Simpson statements and drooling on the table when I see this post Brandy!!! Wow! Must make!!!

DessertForTwo — October 8, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Ok, I’m not normally a sandwich person, but if I eat a sandwich, it’s a Cuban! This looks heavenly! :)

Barbara @ Barbara Bakes — October 8, 2013 at 10:08 pm

This reminds me of the sandwich I had in Miami. It looks fantastic.

Tamara Coleman — October 10, 2013 at 1:12 am

Wow, this cuban sandwich is to die for! YUM-O!

Mel — October 10, 2013 at 10:22 pm

When I make Cubans I season the pork with a sofrito mixture which includes fresh tarragon, fresh oregano, lots of fresh garlic (crushed), Goya olive oil, salt, and pepper. Every bite is filed will intense flavors… ENJOY…

Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies — October 17, 2013 at 11:31 am

A Cubano is my husband’s favorite hot sandwich. I have a panini press that’s been sitting in the box for the last year. I think I’ll surprise him tonight :)

wizzy — October 17, 2013 at 9:33 pm

OMG! I don’t know where to start. I am in all kinds of love with this sandwich!

1. Pingback: Crispy Roast Pork Panini with Rapini | Nutmeg Nanny