Pineapple Bourbon Butter Glazed Ham

This pineapple bourbon butter glazed ham is perfect for Easter or any holiday gathering. Slightly sweet and full of smoked ham flavor.

Pineapple Bourbon Butter Glazed Ham by Nutmeg Nanny

As I write this post I’m staring at the one and only Jon Hamm. Goodness gracious that man is fine. There is just something about a classy 1960’s gentleman that puts a smile on my face. Now I realize last season he was a bit of a hot mess but all that washed away when I saw his fresh shaven face for the first time this season. What I wouldn’t do to be able to have a run in with Don Draper…or really I would be happy just meeting Jon Hamm. Can anyone get me the hookup? I would totally appreciate it. I could repay you in cookies and cupcakes.

Soooooooooooooo, speaking of Hamm, I made ham. See what I did there? I’m so witty when I try.

Pineapple Bourbon Butter Glazed Ham by Nutmeg Nanny

It is at this point of the post I should let you know that I have disliked just about 90% of the ham I have ever consumed in my life. Usually it’s too sweet, salty and just lacks good flavor. I don’t mind a little sweetness but when I pull off giant hunks of brown sugar my teeth start to hurt with out even taking a bite.

This ham has none of the qualities I mentioned above. It’s more smoky than sweet and that is exactly how I like it. If you have never had a true smoked ham you need to rectify this situation this Easter. This ham is the perfect balance between smokiness, sweetness and saltiness. I made the glaze out of pineapple juice, bourbon {woot woot!}, maple syrup, dark brown sugar and just a touch of butter. Trust me, the butter is totally necessary. It takes the glaze from delicious to “Oh my gosh this glaze is totes amazing!” Well, maybe you won’t say that. I have a feeling I’m the only 32 year old woman who walks around talking like that.

However, I can’t take complete credit for making this amazing ham. The ham was cured and smoked by the awesome folks at Jones Dairy Farm. They sent me one to test out and obviously I’m pleased. It has turned my normal ham hating mind into a ham loving mind. And, if you’re like me, you know nothing about carving a bone-in ham. So lucky for us Jones made this handy video to help us both out.

Pineapple Bourbon Butter Glazed Ham by Nutmeg Nanny

The only downside of this ham is that it takes a couple hours to bake so you have to smell the deliciousness cooking. All. Day. Long.

Pineapple Bourbon Butter Glazed Ham

Cook Time: 5 hours

Total Time: 5 hours 45 minutes

• 1 Jones Dairy Farm Hickory Smoked Old Fashioned ham (this ham is not fully cooked)
  • 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple juice
  • 1/3 cup bourbon
  • 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Unwrap ham and add to a large roasting dish, skin side up.

Bake uncovered until the internal temperature reaches 150 degrees, about 18-20 minutes per pound.

About 10 minutes before the ham reaches temperature start making your glaze.

In a large skillet add pineapple juice, bourbon, maple syrup and dark brown sugar. Simmer until the glaze is cooked down by about half. It should be slightly thick. Add in butter and stir to combine. Remove from the heat and set aside while you get the ham out of the oven.

Take ham from the oven, remove skin (it should pull off easily) and score the fat in a criss-cross pattern.

Baste on half the glaze, return to the oven, bake for 15 minutes, re-glaze the ham with remaining glaze and bake for another 15 minutes.

Remove the ham from the oven, let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

Serve ham hot or cold.

Disclosure: I was compensated for my time and recipe for Jones Dairy Farm. As always, all opinions are 100% my own.

31 Responses to “Pineapple Bourbon Butter Glazed Ham”

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — April 14, 2014 at 6:40 am

I love you…because this is gonna make my husband love me more. You’re good at making recipes for that…my marriage thanks you. He is totally obsessed with anything ham and pineapple…and bourbon. So, this! Pinned!

leslie — April 14, 2014 at 7:04 am

Classy gentleman are hard to find these days!!!!
    This ham sounds scrumptious!

Brenda@SugarFreeMom — April 14, 2014 at 8:52 am

Sweet and succulent!! Looks delicious!

Michele @ Flavor Mosaic — April 14, 2014 at 9:22 am

This smoky ham sounds incredible. It would be perfect for Easter or any holiday meal Thanks for sharing.

Christine from Cook the Story — April 14, 2014 at 9:24 am

oh my freaking deliciousness!

Angela Barrett — April 14, 2014 at 10:09 am

It’s so beautiful! Now if my hams always came out looking that good I’d make ham all the time! Just wow! Love it!

Kirsten/ComfortablyDomestic — April 14, 2014 at 10:38 am

First of all…your photograph is totes stunning! See? You’re not the only one using that kind of verbage. Secondly, I agree about a ham needing to be just the right amount of sweet, but not so cloying that your tooth enamel deteriorates with the first bite.

Taylor @ greens & chocolate — April 14, 2014 at 11:02 am

This looks incredible!! Your photos are so gorgeous I can almost taste and smell it all the way in Minnesota 🙂

Rebecca {foodie with family} — April 14, 2014 at 11:19 am

Oh wait. Is THIS the ham you said you got that we should come over and help eat? I’m kicking myself HARD now. I want it!!!!

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — April 14, 2014 at 11:42 am

Wow I wish I were in charge of the ham this year! I’ll have to save this for next year.

Paula - bell'alimento — April 14, 2014 at 12:33 pm

This is totally ham-tastic!

Lora @cakeduchess — April 14, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Incredible ham! I love a wonderful baked ham during the different holidays…yours looks like it should be on it’s way to my house this week!! love it, Brandy!

Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes — April 14, 2014 at 12:40 pm

I have been looking for new ways to make a ham that is delicious!! Thanks for the recipe!

Liz — April 14, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Whoa, I need this ham AND this glaze! I won’t tell you where I ordered my Easter ham from this year, but I know where I’ll order from next year!

Jess — April 14, 2014 at 1:24 pm

This looks divine- I love homemade baked hams!

Julie — April 14, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Ooh, that pineapple glaze is brilliant!

Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos — April 14, 2014 at 1:59 pm

I’ve honestly never seen a more beautiful picture of ham before…how stunning!!

Ginny McMeans — April 14, 2014 at 1:59 pm

This looks wonderful and your photos are beautiful!

Susan — April 14, 2014 at 3:58 pm

So now the only thing that would make this better is if Jon Hamm came over for ham. 🙂

Judit @Wine Dine Daily — April 14, 2014 at 6:11 pm

This smoky & sultry ham does look scrumptious with that gorgeous pineapple glaze!

Norma | Allspice and Nutmeg — April 14, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Wow, so succulent and delicious! Your photos are beautiful.

Joanne Bruno — April 14, 2014 at 11:14 pm

I’m waiting for the episode to show up on OnDemand and it is TORTURE!!! Oh Jon Hamm. Such a cutie.

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — April 15, 2014 at 8:18 am

I will never ever know how you make meat look so dang sexy.

grace — April 15, 2014 at 2:24 pm

easter ham is something i look forward to right after christmas ham is gone. i love this recipe!

Joelen — April 15, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Oh wow… I’m drooling just reading the title and even more looking at your gorgeous pics! I’m going to have to save this to use on the ham AFTER Easter when they go on super sale!

Charlotte Herbert — April 20, 2014 at 8:31 pm

I accidentally used brandy, instead of bourbon. It was still very good!

• nutmegnanny replied: — April 20th, 2014 @ 11:54 pm