Chipotle Shrimp Tacos

These chipotle shrimp tacos are the perfect balance of sweet and spicy. Flour tortillas topped with tangy broccoli slaw, shrimp and gochujang mayonnaise.

These chipotle shrimp tacos are the perfect balance of sweet and spicy. Flour tortillas topped with tangy broccoli slaw, chipotle shrimp and gochujang mayonnaise.

This weekend I made my way down to NYC to Carnegie Hall to see one of my most favorite comedians  – John Mulaney. Dear lord this man is funny. He looks like he is 12 but really he was born in 1982 so that means I get all his jokes and random 1990’s references.

The only downside of the night is when I had to walk my fat ass up 6 flights of stairs to get to the tippy top of Carnegie Hall. I’m not sure I realized just how high those seats were when we bought them. After about flight 5 I stood there thinking “yeah, I’m not going to make it.” Sure, this probably means that I should get my butt to the gym more BUT really it means they should put in an escalator.

A photo posted by Brandy O’Neill (@nutmegnanny) on

Before our show we stopped at a Italian restaurant across the street that has some pretty good pizza and a large nipple sculpture on the wall. So there was also that.

These chipotle shrimp tacos are the perfect balance of sweet and spicy. Flour tortillas topped with tangy broccoli slaw, shrimp and flavorful gochujang mayonnaise.

Now I know none of this has anything to do with these scrumptious looking tacos but I really just wanted to tell you that I saw John Mulaney because really he does rock my world.

Because this recipe uses shrimp it takes no time at all to cook. You simply sprinkle on some spices, cook up quickly and throw on top of soft steamed flour tortillas. I also added on some tangy broccoli slaw because every taco is better with a little bit of crunch. Oh that delicious sauce on top? It’s totally gochujang mayonnaise. I cannot even begin to tell you how awesome gochujang tastes. If you can’t find it in the store you can easily pick it up on Amazon.

These chipotle shrimp tacos are the perfect balance of sweet and spicy. Flour tortillas topped with tangy broccoli slaw, spicy shrimp and flavorful gochujang mayonnaise.

Looking for more seafood dishes? Try my spicy shrimp over creamy polenta, drunken clams and sausage and my hot lobster roll.

Chipotle Shrimp Tacos

Yield: 2-4 servings

For shrimp:

• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 pound medium sizes shrimp, cleaned
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder

For slaw:

• 4 cups broccoli slaw
  • 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • Kosher salt and pepper, to taste

For sauce:

• 1/3 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 teaspoons gochujang paste

For serving:

• 6-8 small flour tortillas, lightly steamed
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1/4 cup diced green onions

For shrimp:
In a large skillet set over medium high heat add unsalted butter.

In a medium sized bowl add shrimp, paprika, curry and chipotle chile powder. Stir to combine.

Add shrimp to the pan of melted butter. Cook just until the shrimp is pink and firm.

For slaw:
In a medium bowl add all ingredients and stir to combine. Let it sit while you prepare the shrimp.

For sauce:
In a small bowl whisk together and let sit while you prepare your tacos.

For serving:
Top tortillas with equal amounts of slaw, shrimp, drizzle with gochujang mayonnaise and sprinkle with chopped cilantro and green onions.

52 Responses to “Chipotle Shrimp Tacos”

Rochelle @ Oh So Sweet Baker — March 16, 2015 at 7:43 am

Mmmmm.. I really want these for dinner now! They look soon good!

Beth — March 16, 2015 at 7:59 am

I think you might convince me to like shrimp 🙂

Kathy @ Beyond the Chicken Coop — March 16, 2015 at 8:09 am

These look amazing. I love the simplicity and the bit of chipotle sauce on top would add just the perfect touch!

Renee - Kudos Kitchen — March 16, 2015 at 8:25 am

Nice touch with the broccoli slaw! I’ve never heard of gochujang sauce but you can bet I’ll now be on the lookout for it!

Julie @ Tastes of Lizzy T — March 16, 2015 at 8:30 am

Two words…absolutely gorgeous! And delicious, too! 🙂

Sune Moolman — March 16, 2015 at 8:37 am

These look absolutely stunning!

Kate @ Veggie Desserts — March 16, 2015 at 8:50 am

WOW – these look and sound soooo good!

Jennie @themessybakerblog — March 16, 2015 at 8:51 am

What an interesting choice of artwork for a pizza joint. I’d love to see John Mulaney on stage. He’s a funny dude. These tacos… Well, they look damn good. Pinned.

Krista @ Joyful Healthy Eats — March 16, 2015 at 8:51 am

So fun! My husband and I went to see Kevin James a couple weekends ago, had a blast. Its just fun to go on date nights like that! 🙂

These tacos are gorgeous and I need to try that mayo, this is the second recipe you’ve made with it so it must be good! 🙂 Gorgeous photos!

Liz @ Floating Kitchen — March 16, 2015 at 8:52 am

I’m totally crushing on this photos! They are gorgeous. I just want to stare at them all day long. And what am I suppose to do with myself tonight now that there is no Bachelor? GAH. Mondays have now become boring again. Boo.

Erin@WellPlated — March 16, 2015 at 8:56 am

LOVE John Mulaney. I’d definitely climb the stairs for him…as I would for a giant plate of these tacos. Ole!

Jackie @Wife Life Kitchen — March 16, 2015 at 9:22 am

I love a good shrimp taco! These are just gorgeous!

Julie @ Table for Two — March 16, 2015 at 9:28 am

Omg – I LOVE gochujang!!! I want to make that sauce and slather it on everything now. These tacos are everything <3

Sharon — March 16, 2015 at 9:36 am

Looks soooo good! I’m definitely going to try this! 🙂

Holly N @ Spend With Pennies — March 16, 2015 at 9:51 am

I am literally dying to eat these right now (and it’s only 8:00am)!! I love any kind of tacos and these look so incredible!

heather @french press — March 16, 2015 at 10:31 am

now I need to hunt down gochujang, can’t say I have ever even seen it before, but now I need to have it on these tacos

Joanie @ ZagLeft — March 16, 2015 at 10:46 am

I need to get some of that gochujang sauce, it looks fantastic! And those shrimp tacos look gorgeous – a simple yet elegant looking meal.

stephanie @ Back for Seconds — March 16, 2015 at 10:59 am

Woah. These tacos are everythigng I love. Must make them soon!!!

Alisa @ Go Dairy Free — March 16, 2015 at 11:11 am

Wow, these are the most stunning tacos I’ve ever seen! It’s so hard to find wild shrimp these days, so it seems like ages since I’ve had good shrimp tacos. These are going on the list!

Shinee — March 16, 2015 at 11:14 am

Wow, these tacos look absolutely delicious. Interesting mexican-korean mix of flavors, but I really want to try them asap!

The Food Hunter — March 16, 2015 at 11:26 am

I’m not even a taco eater and these look delicious.

Cookin Canuck — March 16, 2015 at 11:29 am

Two things…first of all, John Mulaney always cracks me up. How fun that you got to see him at Carnegie Hall! Seconds, I can not start staring at these tacos. Gorgeous!

Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious — March 16, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Broccoli slaw for the win!

Paula - bell'alimento — March 16, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Holy cow I’d love to be having this for lunch right about NOW. Pinned xo

Amy @ A Healthy Life For Me — March 16, 2015 at 1:31 pm

These look amazing! I love tacos, and that slaw sounds perfect. Sharing!

Martha @ A Family Feast — March 16, 2015 at 2:02 pm

Sounds like a great show! And – these tacos…love the addition of chipotle!

Ashley | The Recipe Rebel — March 16, 2015 at 2:32 pm

Such an awesome combination of flavours! And stunning photos! Pinned 🙂

Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes — March 16, 2015 at 3:07 pm

Sounds like such a fun show!! Minus the stairs, of course 🙂 I would have been so winded LOL Love the tacos – your photos make them look out of this world.

Lauren @ Wicked Spatula — March 16, 2015 at 6:51 pm

I’m totally making these for lunch tomorrow with a few tweaks to make them Paleo! They look amazing!

Megan {Country Cleaver} — March 16, 2015 at 9:56 pm

I love John Mulaney!!! Though six flights of stairs would have had me questioning it too. But I am NOT questioning these tacos – Holy geez!

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet — March 16, 2015 at 10:37 pm

I bought a bag of shrimp today, now I need to make these because they look amazing!

rebecca — March 16, 2015 at 11:30 pm

these look so good

Susan } LunaCafe — March 16, 2015 at 11:36 pm

These look beyond delicious. What a treat!

claire @the realistic nutritionist — March 17, 2015 at 10:12 am

I couldn’t love these more if I treid!!

Heather / girlichef — March 17, 2015 at 6:55 pm

Why do I not know who this guy is? I’m going to have to go listen to some of his stuff. And I totally feel you on those flights of stairs. What is wrong with them!? 😉 Now, pass me a tray of these tacos, stat.

Kim Beaulieu — March 17, 2015 at 8:45 pm

I’d haul my fat ass up six flights of stairs for these tacos. Absolutely awesome. I loved seeing you post the ticket on instagram, I was thinking ‘what a lucky duck”.

Coleen @ The Redhead Baker — March 17, 2015 at 9:19 pm

I’ve never heard of that comedian — I’ll have to look him up! Oh, and those tacos have my family’s name written ALLLLL over it. Yum!

Angie | Big Bear's Wife — March 17, 2015 at 9:33 pm

Dangit…I totally meant to make these for dinner tonight! I’ll have to make them Thursday instead! ooo and 6 flights of stairs…I would have died.

Kristi @ Inspiration Kitchen — March 18, 2015 at 12:21 am

OMGosh – these are amazing! Not only did these make my mouth water when I saw them, but I want to run to the kitchen and make them right now, and I just ate! Totally pinned – because these will be made in my kitchen. #mylifesbucketlist 🙂

Andi @ The Weary Chef — March 18, 2015 at 1:00 am

I saw one standup show from John Mulaney on TV, and I LOVED HIM! He is absolutely hilarious, even worth schlepping up six flights of stairs! I hope you had a really fun time. Thanks for making these delicious tacos because they look perfect and I need them.

Rose | The Clean Dish — March 18, 2015 at 8:16 pm

I’m so in love with these photos! They look terrific! I so want to take a huge bite out of these tacos mmmm. I didn’t even know John Mulaney but I will check him out for sure! Good comedians are rare, if you ask me… Jim Gaffigan is still my favorite. His thoughts on food… cracks me up!

Melanie — March 18, 2015 at 8:57 pm

I could live on this. Just give me a few margaritas along with it and I’d be a happy camper. Perfection.

Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures — March 19, 2015 at 7:54 am

So delicious! I exercise regularly, but I don’t think I could walk up five flights of stairs without a breather!

Des @ Life's Ambrosia — March 20, 2015 at 12:38 am

Oh my gawd. I cannot even handle all of the delicousness with these tacos. SO YUM!

Kelly — April 2, 2015 at 10:36 am

I adore John Mulaney! He’s hilarious! Also, I can’t wait to try these tacos!

Paige — April 3, 2015 at 7:02 pm

I’m in love with these! I love ship tacos, but the chipotle sauce takes it over the edge! I’m a fan of John as well, glad you got to see him.

Laura — May 2, 2015 at 7:34 pm

These are as delicious as they are beautiful and colorful! I’m not a fan
    big fan of cilantro so I substituted 50% parsley. Yum!

Ahorsesoul — March 18, 2016 at 11:29 pm

Made these tonight. I did use soft corn shells since we eat gluten free. These tacos were excellent. I even found the gochujang at our small town grocery. That was a shock. It’s my new favorite sauce. TFS

• nutmegnanny replied: — March 21st, 2016 @ 7:58 pm

Thank you so much for letting me know! I’m so happy your family enjoyed them 🙂

1. Pingback: Chipotle Shrimp Tacos - As Cook As U Can