Strawberry Rhubarb Margarita

This strawberry rhubarb margarita is the perfect way to celebrate spring and Cinco de Mayo. The perfect balance of sweet, tart and tequila! Made with a homemade strawberry rhubarb syrup and served perfectly chilled on the rocks with a salted rim. Cheers to your new summer drink!

This strawberry rhubarb margarita is the perfect way to celebrate spring and Cinco de Mayo. The perfect balance of sweet, tart and tequila! Made with a homemade strawberry rhubarb syrup and served perfectly chilled on the rocks with a salted rim. Cheers to your new summer drink!

You guys – SPRING IS HERE! I have a mad serious love for rhubarb. Growing up we had a few different rhubarb bushes and I would pick it fresh and eat it raw all spring long. I would peel down the skin, sprinkle it with salt and eat the whole thing. It’s the perfectly tart and crunchy and I LOVE it!

A few weeks ago my friends at Frieda’s Produce asked me if I wanted some organic rhubarb and I emailed back in 2.2 seconds with YES PLESE GIVE ME ALL THE RHUBARB! Luckily they know I’m weird so they were not taken back my aggressive email. Since I no longer have access to my childhood garden it can be hard to find rhubarb around here. There is a guy a few houses down the road that has it every year but I have yet built up the courage to knock on his door and be all “heyyyyyy can I take all that rhubarb off your hands?” I could also buy it in the store but they seriously charge such an insane price that I won’t buy based purely on the fact that the price annoys me. I know – it’s irrational.

So while I love rhubarb on its own I also love it when it’s paired with strawberry. It gives it a nice sweetness that helps balance all that natural tartness. For this margarita, I made a homemade strawberry rhubarb syrup that is ready in just 15 minutes! Plus look the color of that syrup! I swear I swoon just looking at it! I sorta wish I could bottle that color so I can paint my nails the same color.

I personally think a salted rim is important in any margarita but a sugar rim could be used here as well. I think it will depend on how sweet you like your cocktails. The syrup brings a bit of sweetness but it’s not overly sweet so keep that in mind while putting these babies together.

Oh, and guess what? I’m not just making a margarita because I love tequila I’m making a margarita because it’s almost Cinco de Mayo! I was asked to celebrate the upcoming holiday by Kate of Hola Jalapeño. She is putting together a little margarita week celebration and there was no way I could not take part in anything related to margaritas.

{Seriously, I love margs! Check out my cilantro margarita, fresh grapefruit margarita or my mango margarita boozesicles!}

So I know it’s a few days away from Cinco de Mayo but I think it’s totally okay to make one of these margaritas today!

{Looking for more strawberry rhubarb treats? Try my strawberry rhubarb coffee cake, buckwheat crepes with strawberry rhubarb compote or my strawberry rhubarb crisp.}

Strawberry Rhubarb Margarita

Yield: 1 cocktail

Total Time: 25 minutes (plus syrup chilling time)

For margarita:

• 3 ounces strawberry rhubarb syrup, chilled
  • 2 ounces tequila
  • 1 ounce fresh lime juice
  • 1 ounce triple sec
  • Kosher salt, for rimming the glass
  • For garnish: lime wedges and sliced strawberries

For syrup:

• 1 cup quartered strawberries
  • 1 cup 1/2 diced rhubarb
  • 1 cup white granulated sugar
  • 1 cup water

For margarita:
Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add in strawberry rhubarb syrup, tequila, lime juice and triple sec. Shake until cold.

Add kosher salt to a small plate. Lightly dip the rim of your short cocktail glass in water and dip in the kosher salt to create a kosher salt rim.

Fill the glass with ice and pour the margarita over the ice. Garnish with lime wedges and sliced strawberries.

For syrup:
Add all ingredients to a medium-sized saucepan and set over medium heat. Let simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes. Try not to smash down the fruit as it cooks but it will start to get very soft. After it has cooked down and the mixture is a deep red color (about 15 minutes) strain it into a bowl. Let the mixture drain for a few minutes without pushing the fruit through the strainer.

Once strained let it cool in the refrigerator.

25 Responses to “Strawberry Rhubarb Margarita”

Kate — April 29, 2016 at 6:35 am

Wow! Go girl!! So in love with that color. I’m a rhubarb freak too and especially love it in cocktails. Can’t wait to try this one. Thanks so much for showing off your talents in the spirit of Cinco de Mayo!!

Kristen @A Mind Full MOm — April 29, 2016 at 8:07 am

Yea for spring and rhubarb (and I agree much better when paired with strawberries!)

eat good 4 life — April 29, 2016 at 8:38 am

I could totally start drinking this in the a.m This drink looks plain sensational and I bet it tastes even better!!

Lori @ RecipeGirl — April 29, 2016 at 8:40 am

These are fabulous- great flavor combo!!!

Lauren | Wicked Spatula — April 29, 2016 at 9:37 am

I made a raspberry rhubarb margarita last year and LOVED it! I’m not a die hard fan of rhubarb but when used with tequila it’s manageable 😉 I’ll have to try it with strawberries this year!

Stephanie @ Daily Appetite — April 29, 2016 at 9:53 am

I can’t think of a better way to use the rhubarb and strawberries out of my garden! Cheers!

Ashley @ Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen — April 29, 2016 at 10:42 am

Rhubarb is one of my FAVES! This looks like such a perfect way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo (or any other day!). Cheers!

Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes — April 29, 2016 at 10:55 am

I’m so glad is rhubarb season again! These are so pretty to look at!

Danae @ Recipe Runner — April 29, 2016 at 11:01 am

Rhubarb just started showing up in our stores and I’m so excited! I will definitely be making these strawberry rhubarb margaritas, they’re just perfect for spring!

Marye — April 29, 2016 at 11:23 am

This margarita looks amazing, I love the flavors of strawberry and rhubarb together!

Joanie @ ZagLeft — April 29, 2016 at 1:40 pm

This margarita is such a beautiful rich color. Cheers to the weekend!

Kirsten/ComfortablyDomestic — April 29, 2016 at 3:16 pm

A salted rim on a fruity margarita is absolutely mandatory. I totally would have snatched up All the Rhubarb too!

Allison - Celebrating Sweets — April 29, 2016 at 5:38 pm

I need one of these to kick off my weekend!

Kimberly @ The Daring Gourmet — April 29, 2016 at 7:07 pm

I loooove rhubarb, have a ton growing our garden! Your pictures, as always, are absolutely gorgeous!

Sheena @ Hot Eats and Cool Reads — April 29, 2016 at 8:47 pm

Oh my goodness!! This looks fabulous! Rhubarb is my favorite and as soon as mine is big enough to pick, I’m making this! Thanks for a great recipe!

Krista — April 29, 2016 at 10:10 pm

Totally going to be making this drink! Looks so good!

Cynthia | What A Girl Eats — April 29, 2016 at 11:39 pm

These are so beautiful! I would love one right now!

Chrisy @ Homemade Hooplah — April 30, 2016 at 12:16 am

My husband and I love trying to margaritas – this one will definitely be on the hit list for this summer!

Sarah Walker Caron (Sarah's Cucina Bella) — April 30, 2016 at 8:41 am

Our summer farmers market opens here tomorrow (there was a winter one that ended two weeks ago), and I am keeping my fingers crossed that among the delights there is some rhubarb because I love it. And now, I really, really, really want to try this — and perhaps use the simple syrup in everything.

Carrie @Frugal Foodie Mama — April 30, 2016 at 2:38 pm

First of all, this cocktail is GORGEOUS! 🙂 Second of all, can you believe that I haven’t really tried rhubarb before?? It just isn’t something that I grew up with or that was served often in my family. But I am thinking that I need to get on this rhubarb train soon. 😉

Heather | All Roads Lead to the Kitchen — April 30, 2016 at 8:53 pm

I want that syrup in all the things! I’m so making a batch of these margs for cinco de mayo.

Karyn @ Pint Sized Baker — April 30, 2016 at 11:15 pm

Can you make this is vat size so I can just dive into it? I’m loving this drink and will definitely be making it with the fresh rhubarb in season.

MB @ Bourbon and Brown Sugar — May 1, 2016 at 6:10 am

Oh my word… I just discovered your blog via the Margarita party, and LOVE this margarita. Strawberry and rhubarb… inspired! Happy Weekend!

michelle @ blackberry babe — May 1, 2016 at 10:06 pm

I thought it didn’t get any better than strawberry rhubarb pie, then you went and did this. I’m sold!

Renee - Kudos Kitchen — May 2, 2016 at 9:17 am

I tend to be a salt rim fan myself. Brandy, this looks amazing, and as always your photos are beautiful!