Vanilla Honey Peach Butter

There is something soothing about knowing you can take something as delicate and delicious as a peach and turn it into something even more delicious.  These jars of peach butter will sit patiently on the shelf just waiting to get used.  In the middle of winter, when I’m cursing myself for living in New York, I can go into the pantry, open a jar of this vanilla honey peach butter and taste the flavors of summer.  It’s what I love most about canning.  You can easily bottle up the flavors of the season and have them anytime you want.

I picked all these peaches myself at a local farm – Fishkill Farms.  They are a sweet mix of yellow and white.  The day I went and picked there were so many peaches on the trees that the branches were sagging just trying to hold them all. It took me less than five minutes to pick over twelve pounds of peaches.  It was a very successful day.

Since I now had a kitchen full of peaches I needed to do something with them.  Of course, eating them was an option but there are only so many peaches one girl can eat.  I knew I had to can them in some way.  I was a bit jellied out so I opted to instead make a fruit butter.  I found a recipe I liked and decided to alter it just a bit to bring some vanilla flavor to the mix.  Vanilla and peaches are one of my favorite flavor combinations.  The butter was extremely easy to make and only took 5 minutes to process for canning.  You can of course keep your fruit butter in the fridge (I would say use it in a month) if you do not want to fully process but you might want to cut the recipe in half.  It makes six full 8 ounce jelly jars.

Enjoy!!!

Vanilla Honey Peach Butter

Yield: 6 pint jars

Prep Time: 1 hour

Cook Time: 25 - 30 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes - 1 hour 30 minutes

18 ripe peaches – peeled, pitted and cut
1/4 cup water
2 1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup honey
2 vanilla beans - scrape the seed out

Source: Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Canning Magazine.

In and 8 - 10 quart heavy pot (I used my Le Creuset) combine peaches and the water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer cover, for 10 - 15 minutes or until peaches are tender. Remove from heat and cool slightly.

Use a blender or food processor to puree peach mixture, in batches, until smooth. Return peach puree to same pot. Add sugar, honey and vanilla bean seeds and empty vanilla pod. Bring to boiling, stirring until sugar dissolve - reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes or until mixture is thick and mounds on a spoon, stirring often.

Take out vanilla pods and ladle hot peach butter into hot, sterilized half pint canning jars, leaving a 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe jar rims, adjust lids.

Process filled jars in a boiling water canner for 5 minutes (start timing when water returns to boiling). Remove jars from canner, cool on wire racks. (Makes 4 - 6 8oz. jelly jars of peach butter)

**When I made this recipe I got 6 half pints of fruit butter. However, there have been some people who have told me they have gotten a lot more out of this recipe - approximately 12-14 half pints. I'm assuming this has to do with the size of the peaches. Just assume if you have large peaches you will get a lot more fruit butter...not that that's a bad thing :)

65 Responses to “Vanilla Honey Peach Butter”

Jessica — August 22, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Amazing! I wish I had the courage to can! Maybe someday:)

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — August 22, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Oh I would be licking every oz off of my fingers! Yum!

Erica — August 22, 2011 at 9:00 pm

How delicious-i totally want to try this! I bet the honey is the perfect peach compliment

Nelly Rodriguez — August 22, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Wow, these look gorgeous and I bet they tasted even better!!!

Maris (In Good Taste) — August 22, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I am a little nervous to can but this looks so good I may have to get over my fear!

Veronica — August 23, 2011 at 2:58 am

I love your handwriting! It’s so nice I suspected it might be a printed label so I compared the writing and found that the labels weren’t exactly the same, so I knew they were hand-written. So pretty! Not to mention what’s inside the jar, lol! This sounds so wondermous, no wonder you wanted to submit it to the fair. Do you know with canned goods at our fair, they are only judged by appearance? If people are submitted stuff like this, that is such a travesty that it doesn’t get tasted!

Jessica / Green Skies and Sugar Trips — August 23, 2011 at 7:25 am

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm peach butter, I hadn’t thought of that! WOW! ok, now this must be added to me “to can” list! how exciting! LOVE THIS!!! (and it makes me want to go pick some peaches!)

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — August 23, 2011 at 8:28 am

All I kept thinking while I read this was “Wow, she has really nice handwriting!” Well, I was thinking something else too, but I think you know what that is! :)

Megan'sCookin' — August 23, 2011 at 8:59 am

Peach jam is one of my favorites but I’ve never made a peach butter. This recipe sounds amazing!

Keeley — August 23, 2011 at 9:29 am

I just made peach jam for the first time last week! I haven’t eaten it yet, but I ended up with eleven 1/2 pint jars.

I’m going to try peach butter this weekend because although I love jam, it has a stiffer texture and I think I’ll like the smooth, softer texture of a peach butter.

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme — August 23, 2011 at 9:36 am

That’s a gorgeous peach butter! I haven’t done any jams/jellies/butters yet this year. Think I better get started!

Mal @ The Chic Geek — August 23, 2011 at 9:41 am

Oh my, this sounds amazing!!! I am planning to go peach picking this weekend, and I think I need to make this with some of them. Yum!

Suzanne — August 23, 2011 at 11:53 am

oh I love butters, peach and pear are my favorite. I still have a big bottle of pear butter in my pantry. The addition of honey and vanilla is brilliant :) I need to do this with my nectarines. Enjoy your peach butter.

Erica @ In and Around Town — August 23, 2011 at 12:22 pm

This sounds amazing! What a great different way to use the peaches

Tiffany — August 23, 2011 at 1:00 pm

looks amazing! it sounds great and I bet it tastes even better!

Joanne — August 23, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Obviously I need to go peach picking now. Not sure I’m going to be able to survive the winter without at least thirty jars of this stuff!

In response to your comment, I’m not sure if I’m going to the wine and food festival yet! I’m applying for press passes so we’ll see…otherwise I’ll have to hope that someone wants to sponsor me to go!

Kelly — August 23, 2011 at 2:51 pm

How gorgeous, this looks delicious!! Love your photos! :)

Denise @ Creative Kitchen — August 23, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Bookmarked it (thumbs up) on Stumble upon so I can make it sometime. Love this idea!! I agree…your handwriting is beautiful.

Getting ready to make your crust….from way back when (I blogged about it on my mango rhubarb tart). It’s a nut based crust I got from you…SO good!!

Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} — August 23, 2011 at 4:56 pm

That looks heavenly! I am definitely going to try this recipe!

Betsy — August 23, 2011 at 5:38 pm

yes! This is exactly what I was looking for! Some way to save that peach flavor for the winter. I’m totally making some this week!

Heather @girlichef — August 23, 2011 at 5:57 pm

What an awesome combination…it sounds like heaven on toast!

Mallory @ It's Only Life — August 24, 2011 at 1:25 am

that sounds like such an amazing treat in the winter! i am from connecticut and this would bring such warmth on a snowy day!! i might make this tomorrow!

julia — August 24, 2011 at 7:28 am

Im so lame. I’ve never canned anything. It scares me. Like sourdough scares me. It’s irrational. This looks SOOO good, I really need to just buck up and do it!

Linda — August 24, 2011 at 7:30 am

You are so lucky to get to pick your own! This canning recipe actually sounds doable for my electric stove-top, since the actual processing time is only 5 minutes. I would like to try it because of the name alone. :)

Barefeet In The Kitchen — August 24, 2011 at 9:42 am

I love peach butter! Great pictures. They made me wish like crazy for a chance to can some more jam and butter this year.

Alicia — August 24, 2011 at 10:24 am

This looks so lovely! I will make this, maybe using the peach honey I’m about to make. Thanks for sharing this :)

Raina — August 24, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Yum! This sounds wonderful! I have just learned about canning and would love to try this:)

megan @ whatmegansmaking — August 24, 2011 at 3:01 pm

This looks incredible. If I could can anything this summer, this would be it!!

grace — August 24, 2011 at 4:58 pm

marvelous use for fresh peaches, brandy! i can’t think of a finer way to preserve summer’s bounty. :)

blackbookkitchendiaries — August 24, 2011 at 5:59 pm

just gimme a spoon and i will finish that whole jar in a minutes! yummy:)

Feast on the Cheap — August 24, 2011 at 6:52 pm

What a wonderful hostess gift idea!

Blond Duck — August 24, 2011 at 8:25 pm

BUTTAH!

Katherine Martinelli — August 24, 2011 at 9:45 pm

All I can say is yum, yum, yum!!! This recipe is so easy and sounds so amazing. Can’t wait to try it.

Marla — August 25, 2011 at 8:16 am

Such a great spread, I would love it in my oatmeal.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — August 25, 2011 at 9:15 pm

That peach butter looks divine. Now I’m really wishing I had picked up some more peaches at the farmer’s market this afternoon.

MaryBeth — August 28, 2011 at 5:48 pm

This sounds like it would be awesome on some hot fresh corn bread…

Yuri — August 30, 2011 at 7:58 am

“vanilla honey peach butter” would make a great body splash too :) I can almost smell it. Eat it, wear it!

Marie — September 1, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Just made this. Amazing. Simply amazing.
    Used 20 peaches, substituted the 2 and a quarter cup of white sugar with one cup white sugar, half a cup of brown sugar and half a cup of agave nectar.
    Ended up with 14 half pint jars and 2 quarter pint jars (total of 15 cups of butter). They were big peaches I guess. The sweetness level is perfect.
    Thanks a lot for an amazing recipe!

• admin replied: — September 1st, 2011 @ 5:55 pm

I’m glad you tried the recipe! I love that you added brown sugar and agave…I will have to try that next time!

I had a friend who made it and she got about 12 jars. I just made a note at the bottom explaining that some people have gotten much larger quantities than what I did. I don’t want people to be too shocked if they get more than 6 jars :)

• Marie replied: — September 1st, 2011 @ 7:03 pm

Love your website, by the way! You are inspiring!

BigFatBaker — September 1, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Omg I would be eating so many spoonfuls during the process… I want to go back to the farmer’s market and get the end of summer peaches. This sounds so delicious I can’t wait to try it!

shuhan — September 4, 2011 at 11:16 pm

that looks beautiful! I can totally imagine it in a high-end grocery store selling for an insane price, so I’m glad you shared the recipe for it (:

Louisa — August 13, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Beautiful and delicious sounding recipe!! I made a batch yesterday. The only problem I had was that when I followed the recipe exactly, my peach mixture was the consistency of soup still, not thick enough for peach butter. To remedy this, I just transferred the whole mixture to my crockpot and cooked it on low for 5-6 hours and then left it on warm overnight. It should end up being thick so that when you lift it with a spoon and dribble it back in, the ribbon of butter stays on top of your mixture before blending back in.

If you do it this way, you can also add a bunch more peaches since the crockpot will cook it down so much. I added more peaches and still ended up with just 4 half-pints, the perfect amount for our little family!

Josh Vincent — June 25, 2013 at 1:11 pm

This sound divine!!! I made this yesterday and i am going to test it today. I did it two different ways not knowing exactly whether to include the peeled or not include the peels. Could you Tell me whether or not to include them? Otherwise, the recipe is looking fantastic!!! Thx for putting it on the web!!!

• nutmegnanny replied: — June 26th, 2013 @ 9:32 am

Hi Josh! No, I do not use the peels but if you did and it turns out lovely let me know! I would always love to skip that step of peeling :)

Amy P. — August 20, 2013 at 10:19 pm

I peeled the peaches, then realized I didn’t have vanilla beans or even vanilla extract, but I DID have almond extract. So I tried that…with crazy fantastic results. Super delish! My family is devouring the stuff. Later this week I am very excited to try the recipe as is and I am sure the results will be equally great. Thanks for a good recipe!

Bridgett — August 23, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Hello, my mom and I made this today and it looks delish….the only problem was that it doesn’t seem to be as thick as it sounds like above. When we were slicing the pieces of peaches there was liquid from them that we ended up mixing with our 1/4 of water. should we have drained this? What is the consistency that yours comes too? Ours was a little thinner than applesauce? Need help to understand for future makings…thank you!!

• nutmegnanny replied: — August 23rd, 2013 @ 10:14 pm

Hi Bridgett! Sometimes depending on the juiciness of the peach it needs to simmer down more. Ideally the fruit butter should be pretty thick but thin enough to spread without being runny. If it’s too runny this time you can always try to cook it down more or just use it for an ice cream or oatmeal topping. Although it would probably still be great on toast :)

Libby — September 2, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Am making this right now. Just finishing up the water bath as I type this. It smells soooo very good. I wasn’t able to count out the peaches as I had already cut the peaches I figured would be good for jams etc. into very small pieces and froze the rest in sliced form (I had picked about 30 lbs of Elbertas). So, I measured out 8 rounded cups of my cut pieces and that seems to be working well for me. I have some “accidental” leftovers for my ice cream tonight ;-) I was also too lazy to run to e store for vanilla beans, so used vanilla extract instead. I know the beans would taste better, but made do with what I had. I also added in some cinnamon and ground ginger.

Libby — September 2, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Oops. I meant “6″ rounded cups, not “8.” Also, this is extremely delicious on my ice cream. I may have to make crepes or pancakes next weekend just for the peach butter. Thanks for the recipe!

Jules — September 9, 2013 at 11:58 am

Hi – I just made a small batch of this, to use up some peaches before they went bad. (Was intending to make a pie, but I just didn’t feel like dealing with pie crust today!) It is Absolutely Delicious! Thank you so much for sharing – I’m glad I found your post!

• nutmegnanny replied: — September 9th, 2013 @ 10:54 pm

I’m so glad you enjoy the peach butter! Thank you so much for letting me know!

Savannah — September 18, 2013 at 9:38 pm

GIRL.
    Thank you for this recipe. Everyone I have given it to has LOVED it, and I’m giving everyone your website.
    Pretty sure this peach butter is the best thing about Summer!

Jamie — February 7, 2014 at 3:06 pm

What grade of honey did you use?

• nutmegnanny replied: — February 26th, 2014 @ 12:06 pm

Hello Jamie! I’m apologize I missed this comment! I just checked my honey and it says that is is Grade A. Hope that helps!

TJ {Sugar Blossoms} — June 10, 2014 at 12:18 am

I featured your recipe on my blog today. Check it out. =) http://sweetsugarblossoms.blogspot.com/2014/06/33-perfectly-peachy-recipes.html

Cassandra — June 30, 2014 at 8:57 am

made the peach butter yesterday and it turned out amazing!! love it. I did sub statue a little brown sugar. I have my own peach trees and will make this every year!! thinking about trying maple and cinnamon in place of the vanilla, any other suggestions? I have lots more peaches to play with

1. Pingback: Spiced Plum Butter |

2. Pingback: Seasonal Potluck: Vanilla Honey Peach Butter | BetsyLife

3. Pingback: A Few Free Web Favorites - Walking in High Cotton | Walking in High Cotton

4. Pingback: Canning Peach Butter - Walking in High Cotton | Walking in High Cotton

5. Pingback: Peach Butter

6. Pingback: 50+ Recipes with Peaches Recipe Round-up | Crunchy Creamy Sweet

7. Pingback: A guide to peaches - Running to the Kitchen

8. Pingback: The many ways to preserve Peaches! | The Greenery Nursery and Garden Shop