Spiced Plum Butter

This sweet homemade spiced plum butter is packed full of summer plums and just a hint of allspice. It’s perfect on toast, biscuits or eaten off a spoon.

Spiced Plum Butter by Nutmeg Nanny

I know I posted a fruit butter recipe on Monday but I had another one waiting in reserves that I had to share with you.  You see, the same day I went peach picking I also went sugar plum picking.  I had never picked plums before so I had no idea what to expect.  Since the trees has just ripened I was lucky enough to be able to pick a lot of fruit from the ground.

They had cute ladders set up to climb into the trees but there was no way I was doing that.  I was alone, and I pictured myself falling from the ladder and trying to scream in an empty orchard where no one would hear me.  Very much like the “I have fallen and can’t get up” commercials.

Spiced Plum Butter by Nutmeg Nanny

Anyway, I left the farm with over five pounds of plums and no idea what to do with them.  They were delicious to eat but after a few days I was a bit plumed out.  I finally decided to make another fruit butter. My new favorite food.  The butter is flavored with cinnamon and allspice and taste likes Christmas in a jar.  How can you not love that?

Spiced Plum Butter by Nutmeg Nanny

Spiced Plum Butter

This sweet homemade spiced plum butter is packed full of summer plums and just a hint of allspice. It's perfect on toast, biscuits or eaten off a spoon.

Yield: 3 1/2 cups

Cook Time: 3 hours

Total Time: 3 hour 40 minutes

3-1/2 pounds sugar plums
1-1/4 cups sugar
3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Source: Adapted from Martha Stewart

Split plums in half, remove pits, and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces. Do not peel.

Place in a 6 quart nonreactive saucepan, and add 1 cup water and the sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook until fruit is very soft, about 20 minutes.

Remove from heat, puree fruit and liquid in a food processor.

Rinse saucepan and return puree to pan along with allspice and cinnamon. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently to prevent scorching, until thick enough to spread, 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Remove from heat and let cool. Store in airtight container.

I did not process (as in hot water bath canning) this fruit butter so you must keep this stored in the refrigerator.

38 Responses to “Spiced Plum Butter”

hungryandfrozen — August 25, 2011 at 2:37 am

Oh, I can’t wait for summer and the glut of plums that comes with it.
    This recipe sounds so delicious – I love the colour – but gotta say, I was hoping there’d be actual butter in it!! ;)

Maris (In Good Taste) — August 25, 2011 at 4:26 am

I am glad there is no butter! Eat as much as I want of this beautiful ‘butter’! Looks amazing! Great photos too!

Erica — August 25, 2011 at 4:54 am

Plums are one of my husbands favorite fruits, hed go nuts for this. Pick your own is so much fun!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — August 25, 2011 at 11:07 am

Homemade “butters” and jams are amazing and a great treat for summer. This looks delicious!

Lauren @ KeepItSweet — August 25, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I have a ton of those sweet little plums, I might have to try this!

Joanne — August 25, 2011 at 9:40 pm

The only thing better than Christmas in summer is Christmas all year long! And you can have both with this!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — August 26, 2011 at 8:12 am

Haha, your story about the ladder is so funny. This looks amazing! Love the spices you chose.

Julia — August 26, 2011 at 11:57 am

Wanna mail me some?

Michelle Jaffee — August 26, 2011 at 11:59 am

Ummmm, how did I mis this post?? YUM!! Plums and prunes are 2 of my favs.

Emily | Nomnivorous — August 26, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Oooh the spices in this remind me of the Plum Noir Jam I made last year. It was a tiny batch, recipe from Hungry Tigress. Nice revelation, discovering how much I love spices with plums!

Cookin' Canuck — August 26, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I adore the flavors of allspice and plums together. I would love some of this plum butter with my weekend breakfast.

Barbara @ Barbara Bakes — August 26, 2011 at 12:40 pm

The pictures made me want some, but then Chirstmas in a jar made me want it even more.

Faith — August 26, 2011 at 6:53 pm

This spiced plum butter is making me long for the holidays! :) Bet it tasted fantastic.

5 Star Foodie — August 27, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Wonderfully delicious! I’m a big fan of fruit butters and jams, especially homemade! The plum butter with allspice and cinnamon sounds just perfect!

• Kaylan replied: — October 20th, 2011 @ 9:25 pm

I told my grdanotmher how you helped. She said, “bake them a cake!”

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — August 27, 2011 at 9:11 pm

This sounds lovely! I haven’t gotten any plums yet this summer, but now I need to add that to my list!

Kerstin — August 27, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Yum, this sounds incredibly addicting and like the perfect way to enjoy those plums!

Anna Johnston — August 28, 2011 at 8:44 am

5 pounds of plums…. Oh my, I’m so envious. I adore plums, the juicy sweet textured fruit reminds me of my childhood. :) Your spread sounds AMAZING. If there is any left overs, feel free to send my way. Lol!

Denise @ Creative Kitchen — August 28, 2011 at 3:47 pm

I have a bowl of pluots in my fridge that are a little bit past their prime…this may be the perfect thing for them. A pluot is half apricot/half plum….one of my new favorite fruits as I LOVE apricots! Can’t wait to try this….it looks amazing and I’m sure the taste is great! :)

Suzanne — August 28, 2011 at 5:22 pm

looks plum good LOL! Really I am getting more and more motivated to can since I’ve come over here and seen what you have been up to. I canned some nectarine jam the other day from my nectarine tree and it turned out good and pretty too, I’ll have to post about it soon. Thanks for the nudge ;)

Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} — August 28, 2011 at 6:30 pm

That looks great! I love making my own jam and fruit spread.

grace — August 29, 2011 at 5:38 am

yeah, so i’d swap the amounts of cinnamon and allspice, but regardless, this is a lovely batch of fruity spread!

Lyndsey ~The Tiny Skillet~ — August 30, 2011 at 10:14 am

This looks so good and so do-able. I have some plums and I want to go home and make it right now!

Ira — August 31, 2011 at 9:50 am

This looks yummy!! I see, i think all spice does the trick

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — December 17, 2011 at 7:53 pm

oh this looks delish!

i recently made a cranberry/mango/orange chutney and i love all the TJs fruit butters…i need to try this during the summer during plum season!

Cleveland Smith — September 16, 2012 at 3:09 am

I have about 20 lbs of Italian and Brook plums that I need to process (jelly, plum butter, wine or liqueur). Can a blender be used in place of a food processor and can one use a slow cooker for the long cooking process? Your recipe sounds tasty.

• Brandy replied: — September 16th, 2012 @ 9:54 pm

Hi Cleveland. I think a blender would work fine. Also, a slow cooker would probably work as well too. It might take longer but if you have all day it should work. Let me know how it works out if you use your slow cooker. Thanks!

Angela, TulaDoula — July 27, 2014 at 11:35 pm

I’m making this right now and it smells heavenly. I subbed honey for the sugar so we’ll see how that turns out…fingers crossed! I’m wondering how long you think this will keep in the fridge?

• nutmegnanny replied: — July 29th, 2014 @ 9:23 am

I kept mine in the fridge for a few months. It was totally fine and tasted delicious :)

Julie — August 19, 2014 at 10:51 am

Kind of bummed that I don’t have any plums left to make this!

And to the commenter above who asked about using honey (it won’t let me reply directly to her): honey will probably work just fine, but it might not last quite as long in the fridge!

Meryl — August 19, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Can you freeze it?

• nutmegnanny replied: — August 22nd, 2014 @ 11:26 am

Hi Meryl! I have never froze this specific recipes but I’m assuming it would freeze just fine. I have frozen other fruit butters before and they turned out fine. If you do it please come back and let me know how it turns out.

Terry — August 22, 2014 at 1:20 am

Do you think it could be frozen.? It looks delish!!

• nutmegnanny replied: — August 22nd, 2014 @ 11:25 am

Hi Terry! I think it probably freeze well. I have never done it but I do often times freeze other fruit butters and they turn out fine. If you do it let me know how it turns out :)

Jeannie — September 4, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Just made a big batch of this and not only does it look jewel like in the jars but it is delicious! Especially good on homemade scones with whipped cream. Great recipe.

• nutmegnanny replied: — September 4th, 2014 @ 9:03 pm

Hi Jeannie! I’m so glad you like it :)

Nicole — September 28, 2014 at 11:09 am

I can can and water bath this, right?

• nutmegnanny replied: — October 2nd, 2014 @ 11:03 pm

Hi Nicole, I have not water bath canned this plum butter. Sorry!