Philly Cheesesteak Grilled Cheese

There is something utterly delicious about grilled cheese. Whenever I’m not sure what to make for dinner, you can guarantee I’m going to go the grilled cheese route. Seriously, what could be simpler?

When the fine folks from Kitchen PLAY and Land O’Lakes asked me to participate in the 30 Days of Grilled Cheese, I could not resist! One of my other favorite sandwiches is a Philly cheesesteak. So I took the two and combined them! This sandwich is STUFFED to the max with roast beef, peppers, onions and lots of cheesy goodness!

I used the Land O Lakes® 4 Cheese Italian Blend because I loved the flavor of the cheese blend and really wanted it to shine between all those layers of fillings.

Also, during the month of April, Land O’Lakes will donate $1 to Feeding America every time someone pins or repins a Land O’Lakes recipe on Pinterest. That’s eight meals for a hungry family when you a pin a recipe—and eight more every time anyone else gives it a repin! Let the gift of giving go viral!

Philly Cheesesteak Grilled Cheese

Yield: 2 sandwiches

2 tablespoons olive oil
½ green bell pepper, thinly sliced
½ small yellow onion, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 slices bread
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ pound deli shaved roast beef
4 slices Land O Lakes® 4 Cheese Italian Blend

Pour olive oil into a medium skillet and place over medium heat. Once oil is hot, add sliced green bell pepper and sliced yellow onion.

Cook until vegetables are soft and then season with salt and pepper. Remove vegetables to a plate and set aside while you prepare you sandwiches.

Preheat your panini press to medium.

Butter one side of your bread slices. Flip over two slices and start layering your sandwiches: cheese, handful of pepper-onion mixture, ¼ pound roast beef and another slice of cheese.

Place in panini press, close the lid, and press until the bread is toasted, the inside of the sandwich is warm and the cheese is melted.

*Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Land O’Lakes as part of the Kitchen Sidecar series. All opinions given are my own.

40 Responses to “Philly Cheesesteak Grilled Cheese”

bellini — April 19, 2013 at 6:14 am

Love the sandwich. I have pinned for this great cause.

Jamie | Thrifty Veggie Mama — April 19, 2013 at 8:07 am

Grilled cheese is a favorite in our family!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — April 19, 2013 at 8:51 am

Totally fun grilled cheese. I’m on a huge grilled cheese kick lately. Love this one!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — April 19, 2013 at 4:52 pm

This looks incredible! I love that photo too!

Kate | Food Babbles — April 19, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Love how you melded two amazing sandwiches into one fantastic creation! The peppers, onions and roast beef with all that melty cheese sounds absolutely fantastic. Drool!

Reeni — April 19, 2013 at 9:42 pm

I’m craving a cheesesteak like crazy! You just fueled it further with this mouth-watering grilled cheese. LOVE.

Joanne — April 19, 2013 at 9:54 pm

This is grilled cheese TO THE MAX. Love that the filling is busting out!

Bree — April 20, 2013 at 2:22 am

Looks like the best grilled cheese ever!

Carrie @ poet in the pantry — April 20, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Fantastic looking grilled cheese! Love the melding of flavors here!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — April 20, 2013 at 10:20 pm

This is my kind of grilled cheese! Just gorgeous and delicious!

Megan {Country Cleaver} — April 20, 2013 at 10:56 pm

How fun is this grilled cheese!? Just look at it!! It’s a thang of beauty!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — April 21, 2013 at 3:50 pm

The panini marks on your sandwich are just perfect – and all that glistening cheese! Congrats on being asked to do this from Land O Lakes. Fun!

Tracey — April 21, 2013 at 4:38 pm

I’m long overdue for a grilled cheese sandwich, and this one is calling my name! Steak, cheese and onions (hold the peppers for me) = one of my favorite combos ever :)

Rachel @ TwinTough — April 21, 2013 at 7:29 pm

I love how you’ve combined the Philly Cheesesteak and Grilled Cheese to make one scrumptious sandwich!! Looks delicious!

Winnie — April 22, 2013 at 5:15 am

This looks delicious! I can’t wait try this!

grace — April 22, 2013 at 9:02 am

when cheese is mentioned twice in the title of a recipe, i know i’ll be pleased. :)

Ashley @ Baker by Nature — April 22, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I grew up in Philly and LOVE cheesesteaks. This is just screaming my name!

Kristin @ Dizzy Busy and Hungry! — April 22, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Great grilled cheese option! My family would love this.

Diane {Created by Diane} — April 22, 2013 at 11:43 pm

This looks fantastic, I just LOVE Philly Cheesesteaks. What a great idea to make it into a grilled cheese!

Erica — April 23, 2013 at 9:02 am

I’m SO with you! When I don’t know what to have for dinner its either oatmeal or grilled cheese! Josh would adore this. Hes a massive philly cheesesteak fan

sally @ sallys baking addiction — April 23, 2013 at 11:53 am

born and raised in Philly, I can honestly say this is making me proud. :) It looks amazing!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — April 23, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Amazing! So when’s lunch? Because I desperately need a stack of these sandwiches!

I’m in heaven!!! making this ASAP

Aggie — April 27, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Oh my goodness, this is absolutely mouthwatering. I want one now please!!

BambiLeigh — April 29, 2013 at 5:36 pm

I absolutely hate beef but somehow this looks amazing! The presentation’s so simple but is still so effective! xo

Karen — April 30, 2013 at 12:49 pm

mmmmmm….delicious…mouthwatering….philly grilled cheese! I need to get in my kitchen asap!

Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama — May 1, 2013 at 8:09 am

These would be a huge hit in my belly! I love cheesesteaks in any form!

Amanda at TheCottonwoodJournals.com — May 7, 2013 at 1:03 pm

This looks amazing. Are you going to enter it in the Grilled Cheese Academy’s Recipe Showdown? http://grilledcheeseacademy.com

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — May 14, 2013 at 2:35 pm

AAH! Cheesesteaks! I haven’t had one in, like, 4 years. And it’s very sad. A travesty, I tell you. Because I love them. I can’t get the right kind / cut of meat where I live and the butchers I’ve gone to are useless. :(

I’ll stop the whining now. I just wanted to say that this looks amazing and love that it’s in grilled cheese form!

1. Pingback: Things I like Thursday | Crazy Jamie's Blog

2. Pingback: Meal Plan Monday

3. Pingback: 20 Grown-Up Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

4. Pingback: 15 Amazing Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipes - Good Recipes Online

5. Pingback: Cumin Marinated Grilled Flank Steak with Salsa Recipe - Savory Simple

6. Pingback: 15 Amazing Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipes | Yummy Food Market

7. Pingback: 15 Epic Grilled Cheese Sandwiches | Chef Recipes

8. Pingback: 20 Mind-Blowingly Delicious Grilled Cheese Recipes You Must Not Miss

9. Pingback: Happy Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day! | Playdates + Pearls