Pan Fried Morel Mushrooms

These pan fried morel mushrooms are the perfect way to use up the delicious spring mushroom. Lightly pan fried in butter and totally delicious! So get out and forage those mushrooms and get to cooking!

When I was a kid my dad and I would go out in the woods and forage for wild morel mushrooms. It was my favorite time of the year. Sometimes we would strike it rich and come home with a giant bag full of mushrooms and other times we would come home with only a handful. You never quite know what you will find.

If you have never had a morel mushroom they have a wonderful meaty texture and a slightly nutty taste. It’s hard for me to describe but it’s amazing delicious. It taste completely different than the store bought mushrooms you may be accustomed too.

A couple important thing to note is that if you are foraging for your own morels you must make sure you are actually picking morels. There are  mushrooms that look a lot a like but are in fact false morels. They are poisonous and obviously not something you want to eat. The easiest way to check if you have a true morel is by making sure the head and stem are connected (one fluid piece) and making sure the inside of the stem is hollow. If you notice the head is not attached or see a cotton substance inside the stem you should steer clear.

There is also the option of just going to the store and buying them. Either way.

Now, a few more points. Always soak your mushrooms (even the store bought ones!) because bugs love to hid out inside those little spongy caps. The salt water soak will help kill and draw out all the bugs and dirt. Also, never eat morels raw. They have a toxin that must be cooked out.

I love my morels lightly coated and cooked in really good butter (I used Kerrygold…love that stuff!) because that is how my dad used to make them. I have had them in fancy cream sauces and even in omelets, but hands down butter pan fried is my favorite.

Looking for more delicious mushroom recipes? Try my sausage and spinach stuffed mushrooms, creme fraiche mushroom gnocchi or my breakfast stuffed mushrooms

Pan Fried Morel Mushrooms

Yield: 1/2 pound

Prep Time: 4 - 12 hours soaking, 20 minutes cooking prep

Cook Time: 15 minutes per batch

Total Time: 45 minutes cook time

• 1/2 pound morel mushrooms
  • Water
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground pepper
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (more if needed)

In a large bowl add all morel mushrooms. Cover with warm water and add in 1 tablespoon kosher salt. Mix together to incorporate salt.

Let sit in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours but up to 12 hours. I usually let mine sit in the fridge overnight. When you pull the mushrooms out of the fridge do not be surprised if you find little dead bugs floats in the water. This is normal. They like to hide in the little crevices of the mushroom cap.

Drain the mushrooms, rinse and cut in half. If you notice any dirt in the inside of of the mushrooms just wipe away with a damp paper towel.

In a bowl add flour, kosher salt, ground pepper and garlic powder. Gently toss coat mushrooms in flour and set aside until all mushrooms are coated.

In a large skillet add butter and melt over medium heat. Once hot add in mushrooms, making sure to not crowd the pan. Cook for about 7 minutes per side. The bottom should be browned before flipping. Once fully cooked add to a paper towel lined plate to drain off excess oil.

Continue with remaining mushrooms until all are cooked. Add in more butter to the pan if needed.

Serve warm.

16 Responses to “Pan Fried Morel Mushrooms”

amanda @ fake ginger — May 15, 2013 at 8:38 am

I’ve always been scared of how morels look but you made them sound amazing!

Ruthy @ Omeletta — May 15, 2013 at 9:31 am

AH morels! One of my favorites, and so tricky to find sometimes! They’re worth the money and the de-bugging, every time 🙂 Loved that you used Kerrygold- its my favorite butter too!

Katie — May 15, 2013 at 1:33 pm

OMG! Yes please. These are so delicious looking I can barely stand it. I love that you foraged with your dad when you were a kid. What a great way to show a child about connecting food to where it comes from. I think a little foraging in the woods with my daughters is in order. Hope we have some Morels:)

Tracey — May 15, 2013 at 8:23 pm

I’ve never had a morel in my life, but I absolutely love mushrooms so I’m pretty sure they’d be up my alley. And what better way to enjoy them than butter pan fried – yum!!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 15, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Thank you for all the mushroom tips! I rarely eat morels but do eat tons of just baby bellas/portobellas and similar ‘grocery store’ mushrooms. I wouldnt have known half the things you mentioned in this post, i.e. to soak them. I’ve always heard ‘never submerge mushrooms’ but always feel like they’re still…dirty! Never know what to do. Thank for this great post!

Joanne — May 15, 2013 at 9:32 pm

I love morels but they are SO EXPENSIVE. Apparently I need to go foraging…seems much more cost effective!

Dad — May 15, 2013 at 10:41 pm

You learned well Grasshopper.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — May 16, 2013 at 3:46 am

It’s been too long since I’ve had them, I wish they weren’t so hard to come by here!

Bree {Skinny Mommy} — May 16, 2013 at 4:02 pm

My husband brought home wild morels a few years ago–delicious! And who would know given how ugly they are?! What a great childhood memory!

Faith — May 16, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Ok, these look incredible. I’ve never had them (yup, also a little freaked out by how they look), but I’m sold now!

rebecca — May 16, 2013 at 10:49 pm

these look great never tried them but would love to

katie — May 17, 2013 at 7:29 am

I’m not much of a “shroom” girl… but I think my hubby would be all over these!

Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama — May 20, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Love love love morels. When I was growing up my grandpa would bring us “mushroom hunting” we’d bring them back to my grandma and she’d pan fry them for us.

Rob — May 20, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Wow, this brings back memories! Every time Dad tells me he has some I want to fly home and head straight to his kitchen. Where can I buy some? I’ve never seen fresh morels in the store!

Jeffrey a Graham — May 13, 2017 at 7:09 pm

We fry morels in butter no flour we call this fried mushrooms.Then we also make morel gravy to serve on toast cook some mushrooms in butter remove from pan add flour make a white sauce thick or thin add back your mushrooms serve on toast,Best is the dip in beaten egg roll in home made cracker crumbs fry in blue bonnet margarine.I freeze these for later use as grandchildren love them also make stuffed morels to freeze wrap in foil warm in the oven later.

1. Pingback: What April Showers Bring: Spring Produce in New England | Tasty Tufts