This ground beef mushroom recipe is the perfect one pot, crazy busy, weeknight meal. It’s 100% homemade in just 30 minutes and packed full of meaty mushrooms and perfectly cooked egg noodles. This classic stroganoff is the ultimate comfort food.
Table of Contents
Mushroom and Beef Casserole Without Cream of Mushroom Soup
When I was a teenager I found a random church cookbook that included a recipe for ground beef stroganoff that I LOVED. It was creamy, dreamy, and oh so easy to make.
I always loved cooking but my early cooking skills were mostly following recipes closely. I took zero risks, and I didn’t think outside of the box.
That is why when I found the stroganoff recipe years ago, I went with the directions and included a few cans of cream of mushroom soup.
Now I have nothing against the creamy canned soups. But as a food blogger, if I share a recipe that uses them, people FREAK OUT. I don’t really get it since tons of people love the stuff and it can make cooking so much easier.
But if I make a recipe with Jello, Cool Whip, or Cream of… soup I’m inundated with messages of how I am the worst and can’t cook.
Seriously, it’s the downside of having a blog.
However, as my cooking skills progressed beyond my teenage “take no chances” attitude, I had to admit that cooking with fresh ingredients does make this ground beef and mushroom recipe taste even better.
I even came up with a few ways to customize this recipe:
- Use other ground meats such as chicken, turkey, or even venison
- Add in more vegetables at the end like steamed broccoli or peas
- Use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream for a boost of healthy fat and protein
- Add in a wild mushroom medley for a more gourmet taste
Ingredients for this Ground Beef Mushroom Recipe
Instead of using canned soups, I use fresh mushrooms, sour cream, beef stock, and flour to create this creamy stroganoff.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces sliced white mushrooms
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 32 ounces beef stock
- 1 (12 ounce) bag wide egg noodles
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
How to Make Stroganoff with Ground Beef and Mushrooms
The good thing about recipes with ground beef and mushrooms is that they can be made in one pot with simple ingredients. And this one is ready in just 30 minutes!
What’s better than a one pot meal that is ready in 30 minutes? Nothing. Seriously, nothing.
In a large, high-sided pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and onions and cook for about 5 minutes or just until they start to soften.
Add in the ground beef and continue cooking until the beef is browned and the mushrooms and onions are soft. Add in the garlic and saute for another 30 seconds.
Sprinkle in the flour and stir to combine, then pour in the beef stock and bring the mixture to a slight boil.
Add in the noodles and simmer, covered, on medium-low heat for about 10-15 minutes or just until the noodles are soft.
Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream and parsley.
Serve with a fresh salad or a side of garlic bread.
More one pot recipes
Love this one pot ground beef mushroom stroganoff? Try a few of my other delicious easy dinner recipes!
- Craving Tex-Mex flavors? Try my One Pot Ground Chicken Fajita Pasta.
- Love a little heat? Try my One Pot Cajun Pastalaya.
- Want a fast and easy recipe? Try my One Pot Buffalo Chicken Pasta.
- Need a new household favorite? Try my One Pot Cajun Chicken and Rice.
One Pot Ground Beef Mushroom Stroganoff
- In a large high-sided pan add butter and set over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted add the mushrooms and onions and cook for about 5 minutes or just until they start to soften.
- Add in the ground beef and continue cooking until the beef is browned and the mushrooms and onions are soft.
- Add in the garlic and saute for another 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir to combine.
- Pour in the beef stock and bring the mixture to a slight boil.
- Add in the noodles and simmer covered on medium-low heat for about 10-15 minutes or just until the noodles are soft.
- Shut off the heat and stir in the sour cream and parsley.
- Taste and season with kosher salt and black pepper.