Ham and Cheese Scones

This post brought to you by Cooper Cheese. All opinions are 100% mine.

These ham and cheese scones are the perfect weekend breakfast…

Ham and Cheese Scones by Nutmeg Nanny

If you come to my house on the weekend one of two things will happen. I will either make so much food you won’t be able to walk OR I will lay on my couch, starving (ok not really starving) and dreaming about how I wish food would show up in my kitchen. There is no happy medium. I’m either cooking or I’m not.

This past weekend I decided that it would be a cooking weekend. Well, to be specific it was a cooking Saturday and a leftover Sunday. So on Saturday morning when I woke up I knew I wanted to make something totally delicious but I didn’t want to spend tooooooo much time making it. I’m so finicky.

Ham and Cheese Scones by Nutmeg Nanny

I settled on throwing together this quick ham and cheese scone recipe. I’m a huge fan of scones and I hate how sometimes they get a bad rap. They can sweet, savory, whole wheat, full of cheese….how can you hate that? Since I’m still digging all my Cooper deli cheese I knew I wanted to go savory. So I also threw in a little chopped ham and green onion for good measure.

These babies are PACKED full of mix-ins and pair perfectly with salted butter or a side of eggs. Although honestly I think I ate 3 of them plain and warm right off the baking sheet. I cannot be trusted when it comes to letting things cool. I’m always going to be that girl who burns her fingers and her tongue trying to eat something that is too hot.

Obviously I have zero patience for cooling when it comes to tasty baked goods.

Ham and Cheese Scones by Nutmeg Nanny

Ham and Cheese Scones

Yield: 10 scones

2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
1 cup shredded cheese (I used a black pepper cheese)
3 green onions, ends trimmed and chopped
4 ounces diced ham
2 large eggs
1/3 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, optional, for flavor
1/4 cup heavy cream

Source: Slightly adapted from King Arthur Flour

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and prepared a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat liner, set aside.

In a large bowl whisk together flour, salt and baking powder. Using your hands work the cold butter into the flour until it's crumbly and flour is moistened. You can also use a pastry blender.

Stir in shredded cheese, green onions and ham into the flour mixture.

In a small bowl whisk together eggs, sour cream and mustard.

Add egg mixture to flour and mix together until the dough just comes together. The dough will be sticky.

On a kitchen counter (or large wooden cutting board) sprinkle with lots of flour so the dough will not stick. Coat your hands in flour as well.

Dump the dough onto the counter and pat the mixture into 10 inch long by 2 inch wide rectangle. Cut the dough into 5 squares and then cut each square diagonally.

Add the scones to the prepared baking sheet, leaving 1 inch between each scone.

Brush heavy cream onto the top of each scone and bake for about 20 minutes until slightly browned and fully cooked.

Want to know more about Cooper deli cheese? Follow them on Facebook and on Twitter.

Visit Sponsor's Site

27 Responses to “Ham and Cheese Scones”

Jen @ BeantownBaker.com — January 16, 2014 at 3:45 pm

I’m the same way. It’s a feast or famine in my kitchen on the weekends. Unfortunately I think this weekend is going to be a tough one since I’ll be working a ton :( I don’t make scones enough. This recipe looks like a good reason to change that.

Happy Valley Chow — January 16, 2014 at 3:54 pm

These sound and look absolutely amazing! Never have had a savory scone before, but I definitely want to try this!

Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

Joanne — January 16, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Who could blame you for not waiting for these to cool!? The whole point is the melty cheese, right? :P

Christie — January 6, 2015 at 7:51 am

I adore scones but these are even better. Love that they are loaded with ham and cheese.

Amy @Very Culinary — January 6, 2015 at 8:02 am

Up until last year, I had only had sweet scones. Then I made a bruschetta version and they were awesome. Love these – definitely straight from the oven!

Heather | girlichef — January 6, 2015 at 8:23 am

I swear sometimes I think you’re talking about me…I’m much the same way. It’s a frenzy, or a fend-for-yourself mode. I really need to learn how to find a happy medium ;). These scones sound ridiculous, I want them in my belly. Immediately.

Melanie | Melanie Makes — January 6, 2015 at 9:04 am

These savory scones would be perfection any time of day, Brandy!

Lynn @ Order in the Kitchen — January 6, 2015 at 9:05 am

Brandy these scones look to.die.for. I just absolutely LOVE them!

Laura — January 6, 2015 at 10:26 am

Wow you described me to a “T” although I never thought about it much before. I am either cooking and baking like crazy or, like you say, sitting on the couch and calling for takeout/wishing for the dinner fairy lol. It drives my hubby nuts when I go into one of those latter phases but I figure he is spoiled by the former phases lol.

These look wonderful. I’d eat them hot too!

Tawra Kellam — January 6, 2015 at 10:34 am

Oh yum! What a great combo!

Ginny McMeans — January 6, 2015 at 10:50 am

A meal in a scone is exactly my kind of meal! Okay – a salad on the side. :)

Julie — January 6, 2015 at 10:51 am

My cooking seems to be all-or-nothing as well. Might need to add these scones to my next cooking day!

heather @french press — January 6, 2015 at 11:19 am

a hot scone right from the oven…there is NOTHING better burned tastebuds and all

miranda @lemonsandlaughs — January 6, 2015 at 1:30 pm

I love scones, and just started maing them. I have yet to atempt a lunch/brunch one. This looks great! Thanks for the inspiration!!

Lora @cakeduchess — January 6, 2015 at 2:08 pm

That’s how it is here on weekends most times! I cook every day during the week, so by Friday, I am looking forward to something simple;) Love these savory scones!!

Christine @ A Sprinkle of This and That — January 6, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Brandy, these savory scones look delicious! I love scones and can’t wait to try! Pinning!

Lana | Never Enough Thyme — January 6, 2015 at 7:04 pm

I’m all about the scones! Sweet or savory, I can never pass them up. It’s the Irish ancestry in me!

Martha @ A Family Feast — January 7, 2015 at 8:54 am

YUM – YUM – YUM! I love a good savory scone and these look like some of the best!

Kate @Diethood — January 7, 2015 at 10:19 am

WOW! I’m about to bust into a song…. Ooops! She did it again! Makes me drool on my keyboard with another recipe campaign!
    Lol! I should be a gangsta rapper ;-)
    The scones are fabulous! I’d eat a batch for dinner…. once they magically appear before me. ;-)

Angie | Big Bear's Wife — January 8, 2015 at 12:19 pm

I like savory scones much more than I like sweet ones! These look delightful and would be perfect for Saturday morning!~

1. Pingback: It’s the Linkin’ Weekend!

2. Pingback: Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken | Nutmeg Nanny

3. Pingback: Over 40 recipes using Leftover Ham - Julie's Eats & Treats

4. Pingback: 100 Sweet & Savory Brunch Recipes - Cupcakes & Kale Chips

5. Pingback: 40+ Brunch Recipes for Mother's Day - Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks

6. Pingback: Over 75 Brunch Recipes - Julie's Eats & Treats

7. Pingback: Mother's Day Brunch Recipes {Starbucks Verismo Giveaway!} - Rachel Cooks