Whole Meyer Lemon Tart

This sweet and tart whole meyer lemon tart is the perfect winter dessert…

Whole Meyer Lemon Tart by Nutmeg Nanny

Believe it or not I made and photographed this tart almost two years ago. It has been sitting in my reserves just waiting to be used. I’m not really sure why I never posted this beauty. For a long time I would look through the pictures and I hate every single one. I’m so finicky.

Last night I decided to just suck it up and edit the pictures. After everything was edited I realized there was nothing wrong with the picture. The tart was beautiful and the even though the lighting was a bit drastic I love the way they turned out. Plus the tart tastes amazing. Or amazeballs as I like to say.

Whole Meyer Lemon Tart by Nutmeg Nanny

As the title states this tart includes a whole meyer lemon. You literally just toss it in, whiz it up, cook it up and enjoy. Meyer lemons have a thinner skin than normal (I’m sure there is a name for what I’m calling “normal” lemons. If you know it tell me!) lemons so you don’t get that bitter pith bite. The crust is simple and slightly sweet. In fact it’s the same crust I use in lemon bars.

Trust me, if you like lemon you will LOVE this tart. If you hate lemon you will probably hate this tart. Then again if you hate lemon I would have to question why would even be reading this post…

P.S. How could you hate lemon???

Whole Meyer Lemon Tart by Nutmeg Nanny

Whole Meyer Lemon Tart

Yield: 1 9-inch tart

For crust:
1-1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

For filling:
4-1/2 ounces sliced meyer lemons (seeds removed)
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into cubes
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Slightly adapted from Smitten Kitchen

For crust:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9-inch non-stick removable bottom tart pan with non-stick spray.

In the bowl of your electric mixer cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the flour and salt and beat until the dough just comes together. When making this crust the dough will first look look very crumbly but just keep mixing until you see it come together in the bowl. This takes around 3 minutes.

Press crust into the bottom of your greased pan and bake for about 20 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool while you make the filling.

For filling:
In a bowl of a food processor add lemon slices, sugar and butter. Process together until completely smooth. Scraping down the sides when needed.

Add in eggs, cornstarch and kosher salt and process until combined and smooth.

Carefully pour lemon mixture into the crust. Be careful to not fill the crust over the top or it will not remove correctly.

Add tart to a baking sheet and bake for about 35 minutes until the filling is set and the center of the tart is just slightly jiggly. The top should also be a light golden color.

Let the tart completely cool before popping it out of the tart mold.

Serve room temperature lightly sprinkled with powdered sugar.

Items used in this post:

56 Responses to “Whole Meyer Lemon Tart”

Medeja — January 27, 2014 at 5:19 am

I love lemon and this tart looks so yummy!

• nutmegnanny replied: — January 27th, 2014 @ 10:07 am

Thank you! :)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — January 27, 2014 at 7:29 am

This tart is gorgeous, and sounds soooo good! Lovely recipe!

• nutmegnanny replied: — January 27th, 2014 @ 9:39 am

Thank you Katrina! I could totally go for a slice for breakfast :)

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — January 27, 2014 at 7:38 am

mmmm you’re making me crave spring!

• nutmegnanny replied: — January 27th, 2014 @ 9:38 am

I know! Every time I think if lemons I think of spring. Now, if it would just warm up so I could open a window! :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — January 27, 2014 at 9:58 am

You’re nuts, these pictures are gorgeous! I wish you hadn’t made it so long ago though b/c otherwise I’d be on your doorstep asking for a slice. I LOVE meyer lemons!

• nutmegnanny replied: — January 27th, 2014 @ 10:08 am

Lucky for you I make it often! I think we need to have another dinner party. I’ll bring dessert :)

Janice (@KtchnHealsSoul) — January 27, 2014 at 10:34 am

Ooh, I’m glad you tried this one and stuck to the Meyer lemons. I adapted the recipe a couple years ago and used regular lemons. Big mistake: so, so bitter, which was sad ’cause I had a feeling that if the bitterness weren’t there, it would have been delightful! So, I’m really happy to see this confirmed. Meyer lemons for the win ;)

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health — January 27, 2014 at 11:29 am

the pictures are just wonderful..and I recently got some meyer lemons and looking for reasons to use it, I think I know what to do :)

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen — January 27, 2014 at 12:41 pm

So glad you finally posted this!! The photos are beautiful! This meyer lemon tart is hitting my weak spot big time!

Joanne — January 27, 2014 at 6:30 pm

WHat about the pits?? Do they get all crushed up too?? I have like five meyer lemons on my counter and am so tempted to make this. Hmmm this weekend. Happening.

• nutmegnanny replied: — January 27th, 2014 @ 11:50 pm

You can pick out the seeds but skin and all get used. Whiz it up and enjoy! :)

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — January 27, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Oh man I want this! I can’t believe you could keep this one hidden for so long! So glad you shared!!

Happy Valley Chow — January 27, 2014 at 8:09 pm

That is an absolutely perfect looking tart, great job :)

Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

carrie@bakeaholicmama — January 27, 2014 at 8:37 pm

This is so neat! I would have never thought to use the WHOLE lemon! I too have a couple recipes just sitting in my draft folder with photos that I should probably give a second chance and publish!

Winnie — January 27, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Gorgeous!

Cat — January 28, 2014 at 1:30 am

Yum, this looks delicious. I love anything lemon. I’m adding this to my recipe file. Thanks for sharing!

leslie — January 28, 2014 at 7:57 am

wow. 2 years ago! glad you finally plucked it through the archives!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — January 28, 2014 at 10:00 am

I need a slice of this tart! Gorgeous!!

Samantha @FerraroKitchen — January 28, 2014 at 11:03 am

Ha..I still have a bunch of recipes from years ago too..lol I think this tart is GORGEOUS!!! The lighting is beautiful!!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — January 28, 2014 at 11:58 am

I’m not much of a tart person but you completely sold me on this! So glad you finally shared :)

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — January 30, 2014 at 11:40 pm

I’m glad you decided to share it after all, it’s a beauty. And who doesn’t love lemons, especially lemon tarts?!

Laura Dembowski — February 1, 2014 at 9:41 pm

I can’t believe you waited so long to share this – it is gorgeous! I love saying amazeballs too :)

Diane Schmidt — February 12, 2014 at 8:37 pm

I am the biggest LEMON fan and WOW, I can almost taste the yumminess of this!

Gran — May 22, 2014 at 10:01 pm

Looks delicious! Is that four and a half lemons? Will that many lemons make it very, very tart? Please advise so I can make it this weekend. I want to make sure I do not goof up the recipe.

• nutmegnanny replied: — May 22nd, 2014 @ 10:07 pm

Hi Gran! No, it’s 4-1/2 ounce lemons by weight. You want to make sure you use Meyer Lemons because regular lemons will make the tart bitter because it has a lot more pith than Meyer Lemons. I use a kitchen scale to weight my lemons but if you don’t have a scale it’s normally (depening on size obviously) around 2 Meyer lemons – they are smaller than regular lemons.

Michele @ Flavor Mosaic — January 27, 2015 at 8:12 am

I love lemon bars. So this Whole Lemon Tart is a lemon lover’s dream! It looks amazing!

Amy @ A Healthy Life For Me — January 27, 2015 at 8:29 am

I can’t believe you even thuoght about not sharing. Gorgeous and I LOVE lemon desserts!

Marye — January 27, 2015 at 8:40 am

I love Meyer Lemons! This tart looks like the perfect dessert for my family! Thanks for sharing.

Melanie | Melanie Makes — January 27, 2015 at 9:21 am

This looks decadently delicious – a perfect Winter dessert! I’d love to be snowed in – by myself, of course – with this tart. I have sharing issues.

Joanie @ ZagLeft — January 27, 2015 at 9:32 am

Your pictures are lovely but I can completely relate to keeping posts/pictures in reserve. I’m glad you posted this recipe because it looks so tasty, plus I love lemons so this recipe is right up my alley!

Martha@A Family Feast — January 27, 2015 at 10:36 am

I have a few recipes like that too – for some reason we never posted them until many months later! This tart is gorgeous! So glad you finally posted it!

Angie — January 27, 2015 at 10:40 am

What a beautiful lemon tart! It looks so delicious!

Lisa @ Healthy Nibbles & Bits — January 27, 2015 at 10:59 am

Lemon desserts are probably my favorite….after chocolate. I still haven’t baked with meyer lemons yet, though I’ve been seeing more meyer lemon dessert recipes lately. This needs to happen in my house this weekend!

Cookin Canuck — January 27, 2015 at 11:00 am

You sound like me…if the pictures aren’t right, the recipe isn’t going up on the blog! But these pictures are beautiful (as usual) and the tart sound amazing.

Paula - bell'alimento — January 27, 2015 at 11:53 am

I love all the lemon things so yes I’ll have a big slice please ; )

Heather / girlichef — January 27, 2015 at 12:57 pm

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve done the same thing. I’m so glad you decided to go for it – this is mouthwatering! Want it.

Elena — January 27, 2015 at 2:01 pm

Delicious! This looks like a great way to use the last of the meyer lemons!

Danae @ Recipe Runner — January 27, 2015 at 2:12 pm

I love lemon everything, especially Meyer lemon! I love that this recipe uses the entire lemon and that crust looks killer! The photos are gorgeous as always!

Nikki @ Nik Snacks — January 27, 2015 at 3:23 pm

I love this tart. It looks SO good and I’m compelled to get my act together and make some dessert today.

Laura @MotherWouldKnow — January 27, 2015 at 6:30 pm

I love lemons and all things lemon. Meyer lemons are in season now and so lovely. This tart is a winner in my book.

Kim (Feed Me, Seymour) — January 27, 2015 at 6:47 pm

Ok, this is beautiful! And delicious. I love anything with Meyer lemons!

Susan — January 27, 2015 at 7:01 pm

This is gorgeous, how dare you hold it from us for the last 2 years! I would have never thought to use the entire lemon. Talk about saving time, just toss it all in.

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet — January 27, 2015 at 8:34 pm

I am glad you posted this, now I can make it! My hubby would love it!

Beth — January 28, 2015 at 7:56 am

Two years Brandy?!! Was it haunting you everyday saying? I hate when I post content I made more then 5 weeks ago!

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — January 28, 2015 at 12:11 pm

I recently sorted my pictures and have pictures for 30+ posts that I’ll never post because I hate the pictures. Ugh. I’m happy you posted this tart, though! It looks great. :)

Lana | Never Enough Thyme — January 28, 2015 at 7:05 pm

I have a little Meyer lemon tree that lives in the window of my office. It still has a few very ripe lemons on it. Guess what I’m making??!!

Brenda@Sugar-Free Mom — January 28, 2015 at 7:51 pm

Who could hate lemon?!!! These pics are gorgeous Brandy!

valmg @ From Val's Kitchen — January 29, 2015 at 7:28 am

There’s nothing about this that doesn’t sound good. I could go for some right now!

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings — January 29, 2015 at 9:16 am

I love anything lemon- your tart looks delicious!

Lauren @ Healthy Delicious — January 29, 2015 at 10:16 am

I have a bunch of “unworthy” photos sitting in my reserves that are honestly fine, too. We’re such perfectionists! This tart is gorgeous and my tongue is puckering just thinking about it.

Meg @ The Housewife in Training FIles — January 30, 2015 at 8:59 am

Anyone that hates lemons needs to reevaluate their priorities in life…

Renee - Kudos Kitchen — January 30, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Meyer lemons are my new favorites! Your tart looks wonderful!

1. Pingback: Meyer Lemon Mayonnaise Roasted Chicken | Nutmeg Nanny