Mahi Mahi En Papillote

This simple mahi mahi en papillote combines fresh fish, lemon, asparagus, red bell pepper, green onions and smoked paprika. All perfectly cooked in a single serving parchment paper pouch. Could dinner get any easier?

Mahi Mahi En Papillote by Nutmeg Nanny

Confession: I do not like fish. I know, that’s a weird confession to make when my post is obviously about fish. However, that doesn’t mean I won’t give it a try. Just for the record I did try this fish. Annnnnd I thought it was mild and pretty tasty. But I could only handle a few bites before my fear of fish started creeping up on me.

Growing up my stepdad used to make beer battered perch like it was his job. Every single time he made it a little something like this would happen in the house:

Me: I hate fish.

Him: You never told me that?

Me: Every single time you make fish I tell you this!

Him: That is not true! You will sit there until you finish your fish.

Me: *Sobbing while plugging my nose* I can’t do it! It tastes like fish!

Him: Well then you will sit there all night.

Me: Fine!

After about 2 hours of sitting there trying to eat it while plugging my nose I would either get the green light to leave the table or just cry so uncontrollably he would get annoyed with me and let me leave.

Mahi Mahi En Papillote by Nutmeg Nanny

After hearing this story you might now know why I cannot handle fish. At this point I’m fairly certain my dislike for fish is more mental than rational, but I still give it a try whenever I can. I know eating fish is good for you so I just try to keep that in mind when I try it. I always hope that some day I will try a bite of fish and magically think to myself “Oh my! This is the most amazing thing ever!” Then my fear of fish would just go away.

I feel this same way about olives. I just cannot get on the fish and olive train. Sigh.

However, if you are on the fish train you will totally dig this dish. It takes almost NO time to put together and you can go from starving to full in only 30 minutes. This dish is the perfect combination of smoky paprika, asparagus, sweet bell pepper and citrusy lemon. I also love the idea of making food inside their own parchment packet. Talk about easy cleanup!

My husband LOVED this dish and happily let me know I can make this for him anytime I want. Hey, maybe if I make it more often I will get over my mental fear of fish.

Mahi Mahi En Papillote by Nutmeg Nanny

I bet you’re wondering who a fish skeptic like myself came up with this dish. Simple, I didn’t. I was asked to try out the food delivery box by the awesome folks at Relished Foods and this was one of the recipes in my box. If you’re not familiar with the idea of food delivery it’s amazing! It works out to cost just $9.95 per person/per meal. You get to pick 3 meals for the week from a menu that offers 6 different choices. Plus there is options for vegetable and meat lovers. They ship fresh to your door EVERYTHING you need to prepare a delicious home cooked meal. While I obviously love cooking I’m not always in the mood to cook dinner. When you do something like Relished Foods everything is on hand for you. You don’t have to worry about the grocery store not having what you need or even what to make. It’s all planned out for you…how easy is that? The only thing you need to have on hand is salt, pepper and olive oil. I can totally handle that!

Lucky for you if you want to give Relished Foods a try {and you should!} you can get 60% off your first order by using the promo code NutmegNanny.

Mahi Mahi En Papillote by Nutmeg Nanny

Mahi Mahi En Papillote

This simple mahi mahi en papillote combines fresh fish, lemon, asparagus, red bell pepper and green onions. All perfectly cooked in a single serving parchment paper pouch.

Yield: 2 servings

Cook Time: 12 minutes per batch

• 2 mahi mahi fillets
  • 1 lemon, thinly sliced
  • 6 asparagus spears, 1/2 inch dice
  • 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
  • 4 green onions, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
  • Kosher salt, to taste
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine or vegetable stock

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Take 2 (15x24) pieces of parchment paper and fold in half, short end to short end.

Draw half a heart (with pencil) on the parchment paper, keeping close to the edge when possible so you do not waste too much parchment paper. Cut along the half heart and then open up. You should be looking at a heart. This process is very similar to many Valentine's Day or art projects you may have done in elementary school.

Open your parchment hearts, place on baking sheet and lay one fish fillet in the middle on the right side of the parchment near the crease.

Top each fish fillet with 3 thin slices lemon and equal parts asparagus, bell pepper slices, green onions and parsley.

Top the vegetables with 1 tablespoon butter, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika and kosher salt to taste per fillet.

Fold the other half of parchment over the fish and start cinching together the parchment paper. Starting at the rounded end crimp the edges together, folding them over themselves and leave the last 2 inches at the pointed end unfolded.

Tilt the package up and pour in the wine. Finish crimping the edges than twist the pointed end around once and fold the "tail" under. Remember you are trying to keep all that deliciousness inside the parchment package so it is important to crimp tightly.

Add baking sheet to the oven and cook for 12 minutes and then let rest out of the oven for 2 minutes.

Open packet and devour.

Starting at the pointed end cinch the bottom piece of parchment over the top portion and work your way around the heart until you get to the top of the heart. Slightly tilt your parchment packet back and pour 2 tablespoons white wine into the packet. Fold up the hole

Disclosure: I was sent a free box from Relished Foods to try. All opinions and nonsensical ramblings are my own.

27 Responses to “Mahi Mahi En Papillote”

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — April 21, 2014 at 7:01 am

Aww your story is so cute..and funny that you told him every night! I LOVE mahi mahi, and I happen to have a freezer full of it and I also happen to be getting bored of eating it with peanut sauce every nice forever…so thank you for a new idea! Pinned!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — April 21, 2014 at 8:46 am

I love cooking fish en papillote!!! Adore these flavors.

Julie — April 21, 2014 at 9:18 am

Oh, I can’t get on the olive train either. I’m iffy on the fish thing, but I might have to try this!

Tanya Schroeder — April 21, 2014 at 9:29 am

I am totally ON the fish train!!! Oh my goodness, all the color! I must try this ASAP!

Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor — April 21, 2014 at 9:40 am

Love the story! We can all relate in some way. I’ve always been a big fan of fish, especially Mahi Mahi. This dish looks so fancy, I can’t wait to try it!

Rachel Cooks — April 21, 2014 at 10:01 am

So fancy!

eat good 4 life — April 21, 2014 at 10:03 am

I just saw this recipe and I had to come and see the it. I love Mahi Mahi, it is my favorite fish to eat and cook. I love the colors in here and what a simple way to prepare, I love it. I am sure you enjoyed it even though you are not a big fish eater 🙂

Christine from Cook the Story — April 21, 2014 at 10:36 am

What a cute story! Your fish looks delicious to me, so if you don’t want any more, feel free to pass the plate!

Ginny McMeans — April 21, 2014 at 10:58 am

Just beautiful and I love en papillote!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — April 21, 2014 at 11:44 am

So beautiful yet so easy! Love this!

sue/the view from great island — April 21, 2014 at 11:47 am

You’ve made this fish look so enticing I want to eat it right now, for breakfast. LOVE the photos! Pinning!

Erin Clarke — April 21, 2014 at 11:57 am

It sounds like that fish issue goes wayyyy back, but thank you for posting this dish anyway. It’s gorgeous, and we would love it!

Samantha — April 21, 2014 at 12:05 pm

I love the story. So cute. This is a beautiful fish recipe that you so artfully pulled off!

Lora @cakeduchess — April 21, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Such a great way to cook fish. Love this recipe, Brandy…I bet your hubs was thrilled with it! looks so good.

Brenda@SugarFreeMom — April 21, 2014 at 3:51 pm

I love fish and love all the veggies in this recipe too!

Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures — April 21, 2014 at 4:54 pm

The story about your step dad is hilareous! People hear what they want to hear most of the time 🙂

Rebecca {foodie with family} — April 21, 2014 at 6:25 pm

This is why we should always eat out together. I will eat ALL your fish and olives. 😀 This looks so, so, so tasty!!

Joanne Bruno — April 21, 2014 at 10:09 pm

I feel like I would be pretty traumatized into never eating fish again after that also! I’m definitely pretty iffy on fish, but if it’s smothered in all this flavor, I could see myself loving it!

Relished Foods — April 22, 2014 at 12:37 am

Thank you – glad you enjoyed this one!

Angie | Big Bear's Wife — April 22, 2014 at 2:15 pm

I’ve never been big on eating fish BUT mahi-mahi is one fish that I will eat! I bet it’s great!

Debi — April 22, 2014 at 8:08 pm

My son loves fish and veggies. So he would love this.

Angela |Mind Over Batter — April 22, 2014 at 10:26 pm

Such a cute story! I am sooo on this fish train. Like I want to yell out “choo chooooo! I need to try this!

Sherri @ The Well Floured Kitchen — May 5, 2014 at 11:55 pm

Ooh, I love making dinner in parchment packets.. I haven’t done it in a long time, thanks for reminding me. It’s funny we (used) to make our kids do the same thing, sit until they finished their meals. It worked though, as everyone happily eats whatever is served now that they are older. I love all the beautiful spring flavors and colors in this dish. Looks delicious!

1. Pingback: Flat Iron Steak with Balsamic Roasted Radicchio - Nutmeg Nanny