Moroccan Lamb Couscous

This Moroccan lamb couscous is packed full of spiced ground lamb, dried apricots, currants, fresh herbs and couscous. Plus it’s ready in just 30 minutes!

This Moroccan lamb couscous is packed full of spiced ground lamb, dried apricots, currants, fresh herbs and couscous. Plus it's ready in just 30 minutes!

I ate a lot of meat growing up but never lamb. It just something we did not eat in our house. My dad made mention once about how he had lamb in Canada and it was the most gamey meat he had ever eaten in his life.

To this day I’m almost positive that he had to have eaten something else because even though lamb has a strong flavor it’s amazing. Now really it could just be our definition of “amazing” is different BUT I really can’t see hatin’ on lamb. Sweet baby J it’s delicious. {If you have never made lamb my favorite way is grilled marinated lamb…so good!}

The thing I love most about this dish (besides being lamb) is that it’s ready in just 30 minutes and uses a lot of ingredients that can be found in a well stocked pantry. Believe it or not I have all those spices in this dish just hanging out in my cabinet. I really need a spice intervention.

Stat.

I especially love the addition of dried apricots and currants. It brings in a nice bite of sweetness to cut all that deep spiced flavor. I will also admit that I tend to go heavy on the addition of mint but only because I love it with all my heart.

If you’re not a mint fan just cut down how much you add or leave it out and replace it with more cilantro. Either way, it’s going to be delicious.

I promise.

• 5 cups warm plain couscous, cooked
  • 1 cup chopped dried apricots
  • 1/2 cup currants
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 1/3 cup chopped pistachios
  • 1/4 cup minced cilantro
  • 2-4 tablespoons minced fresh mint (more or less depending on love of mint)

In a large skillet set over medium heat add ground lamb, shallot, kosher salt, coriander, cumin, allspice, smoked paprika, ground cinnamon and black pepper.

Cook until the meat mixture is no longer pink, add in garlic and sauté until fragrant - about 1 minute.

Remove meat from the stove and add warm cooked couscous to the skillet. Stir to combine.

Add in apricots, currents, feta cheese, pistachios, cilantro and mint. Stir to fully combine and serve while warm.

Note: If the mixture seems a little dry you can drizzle it with a little olive oil to give it some moisture.

30 Responses to “Moroccan Lamb Couscous”

Rachel Cooks — January 19, 2015 at 7:42 am

Oh heck yes. I love everything about this.

Amy @ A Healthy Life For Me — January 19, 2015 at 8:02 am

This is one seriously beautiful dish! The flavor combo sounds amazing. Pinning!

Melanie | Melanie Makes — January 19, 2015 at 8:28 am

You’ve absolutely been knocking it out of the park this new year, Brandy – this looks amazing!

claire @the realistic nutritionist — January 19, 2015 at 9:40 am

This looks AMAZING!!!

Krista @ Joyful Healthy Eats — January 19, 2015 at 9:53 am

Yeah lamb rocks! We didn’t eat it much growing up either. I remember the first time I had rack of lamb and I was in love! Totally trying this dish and gorg pics as always!

foodwanderings — January 19, 2015 at 12:04 pm

Growing up we had lamb around the holidays. This lamb couscous dish is a dish I will devour. Looks scrumptious!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — January 19, 2015 at 1:17 pm

I could eat lamb every night of my life. Love this.

Jasmine — January 19, 2015 at 3:00 pm

This looks amazing! Curious as to how many it might feed?

Thanks!

• nutmegnanny replied: — January 19th, 2015 @ 3:11 pm

Hi Jasmine! So sorry for leaving that off the recipe. I made the change – it should easily feed a family of 4. Thanks!

Cookin Canuck — January 19, 2015 at 3:01 pm

My grandmother used to make her Shepherds pies with lamb, so I grew up loving this flavor. I can tell you right now that I would love this couscous!

Brenda@Sugar-Free Mom — January 19, 2015 at 3:15 pm

I love everything with Moroccan flare and this sure has it, love it all!

Martha @ A Family Feast — January 19, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Another amazing, gorgeous dish! I love all of the herbs and spices – and the lamb – in this couscous!

Kate @ Diethood — January 19, 2015 at 5:13 pm

Daaaang, girrrl! This sounds freakin’ fantabulous! AND I need to come by and do some prop-shopping… hehe 😀
    GORGEOUS as always! AND it’s lamb and couscous…holla!

Kirsten/ Comfortably Domestic — January 19, 2015 at 6:56 pm

Holy mother of all that is delicious and right with the world! I love everything about this stew. Next time you make it, I’ll come over with a couple of loaves of custy bread, ‘kay?

Amina | PAPER/PLATES — January 19, 2015 at 7:40 pm

So gorgeous. Must try this!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — January 19, 2015 at 8:34 pm

We love lamb around here – everything about this dish is wonderful!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — January 19, 2015 at 9:18 pm

This looks beyond amazing! It’s been too long since I’ve had lamb!

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — January 19, 2015 at 10:28 pm

This would be the perfect side dish for Easter. Huge fan of lamb.

Lisa @ Healthy Nibbles & Bits — January 20, 2015 at 1:37 am

I LOVE ordering lamb dishes at a restaurant, but I can’t believe I’ve never cooking it before! I definitely need to change that, starting with this dish. What a great idea to add some dried fruits in there!

Aggie — January 20, 2015 at 5:50 am

I don’t cook with lamb very often honestly, I have to start looking for it in the store. But those spices…I have all of them too! I need to use them more! This dish looks amazing!

Renee - Kudos Kitchen — January 20, 2015 at 9:40 am

All this flavor and done in 30 minutes?!? This is a must-make recipe! I love lamb and I love everything about this recipe, including your serving bowls!!!

Cat @ Breakfast to Bed — January 20, 2015 at 10:24 am

Being Slovak, lamb was a huge part of my diet growing up. We had it for EVERY special occasion, and the occasional Sunday dinner. This looks spectacular. I get in a rut with lamb. Lamb and halusky, lamb burgers, lamb adana….you know, the expected. this looks GREAT.

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — January 20, 2015 at 11:25 am

Dried apricots?! That sounds intriguing. Love those serving plates!

Heather | girlichef — January 20, 2015 at 7:06 pm

I love this type of dish…and can eat far too much of it. I don’t remember ever eating lamb when I was growing up, except in gyros. If only we could serve all the naysayers a delicious dish like this, I know they’d change their mind.

kellie @ The Suburban Soapbox — January 21, 2015 at 8:45 am

Holy cow! I must make this soon….I love everything about this dish. Simply amazing!

Susan — March 2, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Just thought you might want to know that when I clicked on the print button today, the recipe showed with instructions but no ingredients.

Susan — March 7, 2015 at 10:36 pm

I don’t remember exactly which blog I was reading that had this recipe as part of a list, but I checked it out. I made the dish for dinner tonight, and my husband thinks it may be the best dinner I’ve ever made. He does not give compliments lightly. I chose to make the recipe because I love all the flavors. The flavor profile of the finished dish is absolutely exquisite. This recipe will be one I make very regularly – I know we won’t get tired of it. Thank you for a great recipe.

• nutmegnanny replied: — March 10th, 2015 @ 2:30 pm

Hi Susan! Thank you so much for the kind words! I’m so glad you both enjoyed the dish. I know it’s a favorite around here too 🙂

Anisa — August 3, 2016 at 3:24 pm

Turned out amazing! Thanks for sharing!

1. Pingback: 35 minutes or less Skillet Dinner Recipes - Spoonful of Flavor