No Churn Cherry Amaretto Ice Cream

This no churn cherry amaretto ice cream is the perfect summertime treat. So easy to make (no ice cream machine required!) and perfectly sweet. It combines the deep flavor of bing cherries and sweet amaretto.

Growing up in Ohio summer was not summer without ice cream. My parents were never one to let us sit in the house and waste our summer so we were forced outside and not allowed back into the house until it was time to eat dinner. Sometimes on the weekend my dad would bust out his old fashioned ice cream maker and in between runs through the sprinklers we would take turns churning the ice cream and waiting impatiently to give it a taste.

Of course my favorite summer ice cream flavor is peach BUT it’s just a little too early to be busting out the peaches. I like to wait until mid summer when they are so ripe you can walk into the market and smell them calling your name.

So this time around I went with my second favorite summer fruit – cherries. Lately I have been obsessed with this store bought cherry amaretto ice cream so  I opted to give it a whirl and try making it for myself. Plus June is Dairy Month so I’m all about celebrating that party. Did you know that New York is the top yogurt producing state in the country? Most people think of NYC when they think of New York but really there is so much more. New York is 4th in national dairy farming and has more than 5,000 dairy farms across the state.

So yeah, NY is all about that protein packed milk.

Oh, wanna know one more thing about this ice cream? I didn’t feel like freezing my ice cream maker bowl {remind me to order that self refrigerating compressor ice cream maker} so I went full on no churn ice cream. Which is basically just a fancy way of saying I whipped some cream, threw in some sweet milk, cherries and booze and froze it up.

It’s really so easy I’m not even sure I need a fancy ice cream maker.

But I still sorta want one.

While I was taking these pictures I started getting super frustrated at my melty ice cream but then I had to stop and laugh. Melty ice cream was my favorite as a kid. I would wait for it to melt, stir it up in the bowl to make a fake soft serve and then eat every last drop. My hands and face always got so sticky from the dripping of the ice cream and my desire to truly eat every single drop.

{Looking for more ice cream recipes? Try my peanut butter Oreo ice cream, double chocolate s’mores milkshake or my vanilla malted brownie ice cream.}

Want to know some more fun facts about dairy? Greek yogurt has twice the amount of protein as most regular yogurt. PLUS just one 8 ounce glass milk contains as much potassium as 1 small banana. Do you know what this all means? It means that dairy rocks our world and you should most definitely get on the recommended 3 servings a day train.

Interested in what it’s like to live the life of a dairy farmer? Meet Sandy Prokop, a dairy farmer at Crossbrook Farms in Middleburgh, New York, and see her explain how 61,000 pints of milk makes it from her farm to New York City schools without ever being touched by human hands.

No Churn Cherry Amaretto Ice Cream

Yield: 6-8 servings

Cook Time: 6 hours

Total Time: 6 hours 30 minutes

• 4 cups bing cherries, pitted and cut in half
  • 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cherry juice
  • 1 (14 ounce can) sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
  • 2 cups cold heavy whipping cream

In a medium sized skillet set over medium heat add cherries, dark brown sugar and cherry juice.

Let the cherries cook down while smashing them to release their juices. Once the berries are soft and a lot of juice has been released remove from heat. Strain the berries and save the juice and half the mashed berries and let cool. You can also put it in the refrigerator to help chill it faster.

Once the berry mixture is cooled mix it together with the sweetened condensed milk, amaretto liqueur and vanilla bean paste.

Whip the whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Add a few spoonfuls of the whipped cream into the cherry mixture and stir to combine. This will help make the mixture looser and easy to fold into the remaining whipped cream.

Fold remaining whipped cream into the cherry mixture. Be careful to not fully stir as you want to keep the whipped cream as light as possible.

Pour into a freezer safe container (metal bread pan or tupperware works nicely) and freeze for at least 6 hours before serving.

Check out these other tasty dairy recipes!

Foodie With Family: Rhubarb Cheesecake Pie

Emily Bites: Strawberry Banana Frozen Yogurt Bites

Wishes and Dishes: Creamy Greek Yogurt Alfredo Sauce

Healthy. Delicious.: Blueberry Rhubarb Frozen Yogurt Breakfast Pops

Ciao Chow Bambina: Garlic & Herb Marinated Mozzarella with Kalamata Olives

Mother Thyme: Banana Cream Parfaits

Plus be sure to follow the American Dairy Association Dairy Council on social media!

Facebook (com/AmericanDairyAssociationDairyCouncil)

Twitter (@AmerDairyAssoc)

Instagram (@AmericanDairy)

Oh and be sure to join us on June 24th for an awesome #DairyMOOnth Twitter party! We’re talking recipes, summertime fun and dairy.

ADADC_JDM2015_TwitterParty2

Disclosure: This post was sponsored by the American Dairy Association Dairy Council (ADADC) but as always all opinions and thoughts are my own.

44 Responses to “No Churn Cherry Amaretto Ice Cream”

Tori@Gringalicious.com — June 11, 2015 at 6:31 am

I’ve been really into no-churn ice cream recently because my ice cream maker is really lame and I never feel like messing with it. This is a recipe that I need to try next time. It looks super yum!

Meg @ The Housewife in Training Files — June 11, 2015 at 7:40 am

The melty ice was my favorite too! To this day, I still wait for it to melt (or I microwave it for like 5 seconds…….) and make an ‘ice cream soup’. So glad I am no the only one!

sprinkleandglitter — June 11, 2015 at 8:35 am

This sounds so good, the photographs are gorgeous! Can’t wait to try this 🙂

annie@ciaochowbambina — June 11, 2015 at 8:35 am

Wow! This looks delicious!! This will go on my list of Must-Haves this summer! Thanks for sharing!

Barrett @dirtylaundrykitchen.com — June 11, 2015 at 8:59 am

As someone obsessed with the hagen daaz gelato version of this, I will have to check it out. Thanks for sharing.

Ashley @ Wishes & DIshes — June 11, 2015 at 9:03 am

I loved melty ice cream as a kid, too! This looks wonderful!

Emily Bites — June 11, 2015 at 9:04 am

Melty ice cream looks good to me! I always used to pur a little milk over my ice cream so it would be more like a milkshake. Cherry ice cream is my favorite – I can’t wait to try this! Just pinned and yummed it for later. Thanks for sharing!

Carrie @ poet in the pantry — June 11, 2015 at 9:34 am

I am a HUGE amaretto + cherry fan! Must make this ice cream this summer!!!

Emily — June 11, 2015 at 9:40 am

This ice cream is just fantastic, totally obsessed with cherries!

Kristen @ A Mind Full Mom — June 11, 2015 at 9:46 am

This is awesome, especially since my ice cream maker just broke.

Michelle @ A Dish of Daily Life — June 11, 2015 at 10:04 am

I’ve never tried making my own ice cream but looking at your pictures makes me want to! Like TODAY!

Lydia @ Suitcase Foodist — June 11, 2015 at 10:20 am

Now this, this is the real deal. I love the idea of combining amaretto with cherries! Divine!

Danae @ Recipe Runner — June 11, 2015 at 11:08 am

Cherry and amaretto or almond are one of my favorite combinations! This looks so delicious!

Beth — June 11, 2015 at 11:14 am

I’ve been dreaming about getting an ice cream maker lately! That ice cream maker you linked to is RIDICULOUS!

Jerry — June 11, 2015 at 11:36 am

I’m all for this… Just without the Amaretto. would omitting it change the recipe significantly? My wife is a cherry/sour cherry fanatic and I’d love to make this for her.

Rebecca {foodie with family} — June 11, 2015 at 11:59 am

Melty is where it’s at! This combo of cherry and amaretto in ice cream is making me so hungry just to think about it.

Kate @ Diethood — June 11, 2015 at 12:21 pm

Lovin’ the melty!! And it’s so beautiful, as always. The colors of the cherries just POP!

Kimberly @ Rhubarb and Honey — June 11, 2015 at 12:58 pm

I have used this no-churn recipe for ice cream before, and I love it! (Although it makes it a bit too easy to have delicious ice cream in the freezer!)

I am definitely trying your cherry amaretto version … I might be the biggest cherry fan on the planet so this is totally calling (screaming!) my name!

heather @french press — June 11, 2015 at 1:08 pm

as a kid I wouldn’t eat my ice cream if it wasn’t melty, and now my kids are the same way they stir it up and may as well drink it with a straw – and it sure makes for a gorgeous picture 🙂

Jenn @ Mother Thyme — June 11, 2015 at 1:20 pm

This looks divine! I’m loving the cherry + amaretto combo! And the fact it’s no churn, even better! I am totally a melty ice cream lover. I even soften it in the microwave if it’s too hard. Definitely the soupier the better in my book!

Sabrina @ Dinner, then Dessert — June 11, 2015 at 1:42 pm

I love cherry ice cream! This reminds me of the Jeni’s ice cream I am obsessed with! Yum!

The Food Hunter — June 11, 2015 at 2:32 pm

This sounds amazing…I know I will be making it this summer

Martha @ A Family Feast — June 11, 2015 at 7:03 pm

Wow – what a fantastic flavor pairing. Never would have thought to combine amaretto and cherry…but now I’m craving it!

christine — June 11, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Amaretto huh? Interesting choice, I’m very intrigued!

Medha @ Whisk & Shout — June 11, 2015 at 10:02 pm

I love the flavor combo here!

Becky | The Cookie Rookie — June 11, 2015 at 10:29 pm

OMG…THESE PHOTOS! That cherry photo! My mouth is watering!

Denise | Sweet Peas & Saffron — June 11, 2015 at 11:11 pm

Ha ha, I totally did that with my ice cream, too! Why was soft serve so exciting as a kit? This looks about 1000 times better, and I LOVE that it’s no churn 🙂

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — June 12, 2015 at 6:46 am

I love that your parents forced y’all outside during the summer! I vividly remember watching 80s TV reruns. 😀 And when A&E starting showing Law & Order, that was, like, MAJOR in my world.

Anyway. It’s hard to believe this is no-churn! Looks amazing.

Kathy @ Beyond the Chicken Coop — June 12, 2015 at 7:34 am

There’s nothing better than homemade ice cream! I’ve never tried a no-churn…sounds like a time saver! This flavor sounds so yummy!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — June 12, 2015 at 8:43 am

Gorgeous. And, bing cherries + amaretto? LOVE!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — June 12, 2015 at 10:06 am

I don’t think I ever tried a fresh cherry until I was an adult. I made a fresh cherry pie and didn’t know I needed to pit them! Live and learn! This ice cream sounds amazingly delicious!

Marjory @ Dinner-Mom — June 12, 2015 at 11:30 am

Yum! I’m a fan of ice cream with bing cherries, but the amaretto takes it over the top! Great recipe!

Angie | Big Bear's Wife — June 12, 2015 at 12:21 pm

Haha I loved those old style crank ice cream makers but I kinda love this No Churn ice cream even more! I love peach too but it’s the perfect time for cherry ice cream!

Susan — June 12, 2015 at 10:00 pm

This ice cream looks like perfect soft serve to me, if that’s what happen when you make no-churn then I need to finally give it a go. Plus cherries and amaretto is perfection.

Cathy@LemonTreeDwelling — June 13, 2015 at 8:49 am

Cherry + amaretto is the BEST combo! This ice cream sounds amazing!

Andi @ The Weary Chef — June 15, 2015 at 4:35 pm

I can’t make myself like amaretto in drinks because it’s so sweet, but I bet it’s perfect in ice cream. I love cherries too, so I want to try this!

Joanne — June 16, 2015 at 9:30 pm

I thought I was the only one who loved melty ice cream! It’s the best part. I am SUPER into this flavor…cherries are my favorite summer fruit and I can’t get enough of them!

Tari — October 10, 2016 at 1:07 pm

I have been searching for a recipe with Black Cherries and Amaretto, that tastes exactly the same as H_ _ D_ _ z. My 1st reason, can’t afford those expensive little containers. And stores only stock a few each week.
    My second one is, I’m so totally craving this ice cream! Never tasted an ice cream so good.
    Fingers crossed, on my way to the store now!

Suzuyo Fox — July 15, 2017 at 1:24 pm

Do you think you can use frozen cherries for this recipe? I am going to make this with fresh cherries because they are in season, but I am thinking of later when they are not. Sounds delish!

• nutmegnanny replied: — July 15th, 2017 @ 9:27 pm

Hi Suzuyo! I have never used frozen cherries but I don’t see them being an issue at all! Hope you enjoy the ice cream 🙂

1. Pingback: Rhubarb Cheesecake Pie