Strawberry Creme Fraiche Milkshake

This strawberry creme fraiche milkshake with balsamic vinegar drizzle is the perfect summer treat. Perfectly chilled and great for summer porch sipping.

Fresh vine ripe strawberries are of the pure pleasures of summer. Who cares if they are tiny  and take forever to pick – they are tasty! I would gladly eat fresh picked tiny strawberries over those weird ginormous flavorless things you find in the store. However, my only issue with fresh strawberries is the picking of the berries.

I suck at picking berries. I know you’re thinking to yourself “how can someone suck at picking berries?” Well, the first time I went berry picking (a few years ago) it was about 100 degrees out. I grab my little box and planned on picking my weight in delicious berries. Instead I lasted about 10 minutes before I ended up horking up my lunch because apparently the sun hates me and I get overheated like a tiny baby.

This also confirmed the harsh reality that I would not last as a farmer.

The second time I went and picked berries was just last week with Gina. We get to the beautiful farm and the breeze is blowing and I thought to myself “this is the year I pick berries and it’s just as glorious as I think it’s going to be in my head.” So I start picking my berries and things are going good. I brought a drink with me so I would stay hydrated, I set myself a reasonable limit of picking and started off with my farming ways.

I did pretty well until I started sweating like a pig. Then I knew I was done for. So we slowly walked to pay for our berries and I had to stop because I was sure I was going pass out. Luckily this time around I made it through without totally loosing my lunch BUT I still thought I was going to die. But in my mind I was all “it’s worth it Brandy. You just got some fresh picked strawberries. Life is good!”

UNTIL I walked into the farm stand and saw that they had quarts of fresh picked berries for the same damn price as u-pick.

What. The. Hell.

The whole freaking point of u-pick is so you get a deal. Who honestly thinks it’s fun to sweat like a beast while standing under the hot summer sun to pick berries.

It’s all a lie. It ain’t fun.

So after I got my berries I came home for a little relaxation and thought about what recipes I should make with my berries. The hubs requested shortcake (which I still need to make) and I was thinking some sorts of delicious pie. BUT all of that changed when I got a huge craving for a milkshake.

I have always loved fresh strawberry milkshakes but this baby gets jazzed up with the addition of vanilla bean creme fraiche. It’s brings a big boost of flavor plus an added creaminess that I LOVE in a milkshake. The method to making this milkshake is really flexible. If you don’t have vanilla bean creme fraiche use regular creme fraiche. If you only have frozen berries uses frozen berries but be sure so bump up the liquid amount so that your mixture doesn’t get too thick.

I also threw in a little Truvia brown sugar blend because I’m a total sweet freak and love my milkshakes nice and sweet. The amount really does depend on the sweetness of your berries and ice cream. I think it’s best to start out little and add more as you go.

Also, that little drizzle on top? That is balsamic reduction. Strawberries and balsamic go together like 2 peas in a pod. The drizzle is crazy easy to make and can be made days in advanced and stored in your fridge for whenever you feel like getting your glaze on. However, if you’re not in the mood to make your reduction you can also order it online.

{Looking for more delicious strawberry recipes? Try my buckwheat crepes with strawberry rhubarb compote, strawberry goat cheese quinoa salad or my strawberry rhubarb coffee cake.}

Strawberry Creme Fraiche Milkshake

Yield: 2-4 servings

For milkshake:

• 2 cups fresh strawberries, tops removed
  • 1 cup vanilla bean ice cream
  • 1/3 cup vanilla bean creme fraiche
  • 1/3 cup whole milk
  • 1-3 teaspoons Truvia brown sugar blend
  • Whipped cream

For balsamic reduction:

• 1 cup good quality balsamic vinegar

For milkshake:

In a high powered blender add strawberries, vanilla bean ice cream, vanilla bean creme fraiche, milk and Truvia. The amount of Truvia will depend on the natural sweetness of your berries and how sweet you like your milkshakes.

Blend on high for 30-60 seconds until smooth and fully blended. If the milkshake is too thick you can thin out with additional milk.

Top with whipped cream and a drizzle of balsamic reduction.

For balsamic reduction:

Set a small pot over medium low heat. Add balsamic vinegar and slowly cook down until reduced by half and syrupy in texture. This should take about 20 minutes. Do not try to cook down your vinegar faster (aka: jack the heat up) or you risk burning your vinegar which smells awful and is a real jerk to clean off your pot.

Let cool and store in the fridge.

Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Truvia. As always all opinions are 100% my own.

42 Responses to “Strawberry Creme Fraiche Milkshake”

Tori@Gringalicious.com — June 15, 2015 at 8:10 am

Yes please! You had me at milkshake! I love these photos!

Julia @ Sprinkled With Jules — June 15, 2015 at 9:42 am

There are so many aspects to this milkshake that sound so good. Balsamic reduction with straweberries, and the creme fraiche?! Yum!

Michelle @ Blackberry Babe — June 15, 2015 at 11:13 am

Yes! This flavor combo…. delish!

Kacey @ The Cookie Writer — June 15, 2015 at 12:07 pm

Ahahaha, we had the same thing happen: search for wonderful fruit, and then see the already put together baskets inside. I am digging this fancy gourmet milkshake! Way different from my childhood shakes!

Stephanie — June 15, 2015 at 1:02 pm

This sounds just plain dreamy!

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction — June 15, 2015 at 1:16 pm

A perfect way to use those sweet summer strawberries!

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — June 15, 2015 at 1:18 pm

What a beauty of a milkshake! I could go for one about now! Yum!!!

allie @ Through Her Looking Glass — June 15, 2015 at 1:47 pm

Dear Brandy – Farming is overrated. I’m no farmer either. But we do have a large quantity of those tiny strawberries growing in our front yard under a beautiful limelight hydrangea tree. We’ve been out picking in very short increments each day and get a large bowlful each time. They are small but the taste can’t be beat. You are so right , those big ones in the store are flavorless. On to your lovely milkshake…WOW. Genius idea with the balsamic reduction! I can’t wait to try this!

susan @ the wimpy vegetarian — June 15, 2015 at 2:09 pm

What a fantastic treat to make with strawberries. We use Truvia too, but I’ve not seen the brown sugar blend!! And vanilla bean creme fraiche is fabulous. I had it recently and LOVED it.

Paula - bell'alimento — June 15, 2015 at 2:10 pm

That is one fancy schmancy milkshake!

Annie @Maebells — June 15, 2015 at 2:43 pm

These shakes look awesome! And I love the moody lighting in these shots!

Kathy @ Beyond the Chicken Coop — June 15, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Just keep in mind….some people aren’t made for farming (or picking) and others aren’t made for cooking! You just need to know what you’re good at! This strawberry milkshake sounds delish!

Kristen @ A Mind Full Mom — June 15, 2015 at 3:08 pm

Ha! HA! My kids love to go strawberry picking, but in this Georgia heat, I sweat like a pig as well, and only want one bushel 🙂 Great milkshake though!

The Food Hunter — June 15, 2015 at 3:30 pm

I just picked up a bunch of berries…this is perfect

Brooks @ RecipeBoy — June 15, 2015 at 5:24 pm

I never made a connection between balsamic and strawberries! I will definitely keep that in mind next time I decide to do something with strawberries.

Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — June 15, 2015 at 6:14 pm

Oh my gosh, if I got back to the farm stand and saw already-picked berries for the same price as U-pick, I probably would have lost my you know what. LOL. I may not be much of a berry picker (I hate the heat the way you do), but I can just run to the farmer’s market then make these milkshakes 😉 I actually have a dollop of regular creme fraiche in the fridge, so I’m thinking if I stir some vanilla bean paste into that, it’ll be almost the same?

Trish - Mom On Timeout — June 15, 2015 at 7:16 pm

Your photos are so stunning! I always stop to just….look 🙂 What a gorgeous milkshake – the perfect way to enjoy those sweet summer strawberries!

Beth — June 15, 2015 at 8:29 pm

I am so glad you didn’t lose your lunch a second time. Eww. I wish we had a u-pick berry place near us because I have a hankering for a milkshake now!

Meg @ The Housewife in Training Files — June 15, 2015 at 8:41 pm

We were going to go strawberry picking last week but it has already ended here 🙁 Luckily the strawberries at Costco have been ah-mazing so I will take what I can get right now!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — June 15, 2015 at 9:03 pm

And that’s why I haven’t bothered to go apple picking in years – just buy at the farm market. Same price and faster. I still swear I’ll try strawberry picking one of these days!

Lydia @ Suitcase Foodist — June 15, 2015 at 9:14 pm

All I have to say is WOW! Why did I not think of using creme fraiche in a milkshake? My world just changed. Loving your blog and your posts.

Denise | Sweet Peas & Saffron — June 15, 2015 at 10:35 pm

Ha ha! I haven’t been strawberry picking in years, but the best part was definitely not the part where you’re hunched over in the sun, that’s for sure! These milkshakes look amazing, and I absolutely love that you added a balsamic drizzle!

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet. — June 15, 2015 at 11:54 pm

Ah the experience of picking berries, I haven’t been able to pick any this year but we like to do it. But If I saw that the berries were the same price I would totally just buy them without the picking part! This is my kind of milkshake!

Emily | Rainbow Delicious — June 16, 2015 at 12:13 am

OMG these look amazing! I love the combo of strawberries and balsamic and can’t wait to try this… What a perfect summer treat.

Ashley @ Wishes & DIshes — June 16, 2015 at 12:56 am

A milkshake with fresh strawberries – doesn’t get much better than this! Picking your own is so worth it.

Ally's Sweet & Savory Eats — June 16, 2015 at 8:16 am

Brandy I’d love to gulp this down right now! So pretty!

Joanie @ ZagLeft — June 16, 2015 at 8:41 am

There are so many things about this milkshake that I love…the vanilla bean creme fraiche, the balsamic reduction, the fact that it’s a milkshake! I could certainly go for one right now and your pictures are so beautiful too!

Jennie @onesweetmess — June 16, 2015 at 8:43 am

I love the addition of creme fraiche and balsamic. Those berries are stunning. Yeah, I’m all about the lazy man’s method: pre-picked and ready to go. It’s too hot to pick berries.

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — June 16, 2015 at 9:18 am

Ah-mazing! This is a grownup milkshake that would totally knock my socks off.

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — June 16, 2015 at 9:55 am

LOL! I know what you mean about the picking vs. not and the cost. It should be cheaper!! 🙂 Love this milkshake, it’s gorgeous!

Martha @ A Family Feast — June 16, 2015 at 10:58 am

What a genius idea for a milk shake! The flavors…incredible!

Anita — June 16, 2015 at 12:16 pm

Wow! I am so into strawberries right now since they’re everywhere. This reminds me of the shakes from mcDonald’s, only way better!

tanya — June 16, 2015 at 10:11 pm

I know the idea of picking your own berries always sound so much for fun that it actually is! But it’s worth it! I think creme fraiche is so under appreciated! I adore this!

Cookin Canuck — June 17, 2015 at 10:57 am

What’s up with the u-pick not being cheaper?! If I’m going to be sweating in the summertime heat, I need a smokin’ deal, for sure. Though I must say that this milkshake seems to make the sweating seem worth it.

Megan {Country Cleaver} — June 18, 2015 at 9:10 pm

I’m all for following cravings when they strike – I’m glad you went with these milkshakes, I’m craving one now too!

Joanne — June 18, 2015 at 9:10 pm

I’ve never been berry picking but now I know…forget the U-Pick and just go for the boxes! I’m sure that would save time…which would mean MORE time for milkshaking.

Jessica @ Sprinkle Some Sugar — June 19, 2015 at 5:32 pm

What a perfect way to enjoy strawberries in the Summer! And I have to say, your photos are seriously stunning. Love the moody feel!

sue|theviewfromgreatisland — June 20, 2015 at 4:30 pm

This is such an old classic – I love the creme fraiche spin!

Jamie | My Baking Addiction — July 29, 2015 at 9:08 am

I totally suck at picking berries too. Heat and Bugs = my version of hell! However these gorgeous little milkshakes are my version of summer bliss! LOVE!

1. Pingback: Strawberry Yogurt Waffles | Nutmeg Nanny