Blueberry Zucchini Oat Waffles

These blueberry zucchini oat waffles are the perfect way to use up those summer vegetables and fruit. Plus you can make oat flour right in your Vitamix!

We always had zucchini growing in my garden as a kid. We would eat zucchini EVERYTHING by the end of summer. Of course my favorite was always chocolate zucchini bread but I would have honestly taken it anyway my stepmom served it up. Now that I’m an adult I’m beyond sad that I don’t have a garden.

Shit, I don’t even have a yard. I live in a town home that has a tiny little patch of grass in the front but nothing in the back. I really thought I would love living in a town house but that was before I realized I sorta hate most people. Having neighbors so freaking close sucks, having people who park in your parking spot sucks, and not having yard really sucks. I thought I would like the whole “someone else takes care of the snow removal/mowing/landscaping” part of town home living but I miss a yard. Don’t get me wrong though. I do love that I don’t have to shovel snow. That part is pretty awesome.

So now when I want zucchini I have to actually go to the store and buy it. Which kind of annoys me because I used to get that stuff for free and now they want me to pay $1.50 lb for zucchini? I’m sorry, what? Do they not know that I’m smart enough to know how insane that stuff grows in the summer. They could be giving it away and still have plenty left over.

But, it is what it is. I should stop complaining like an old curmudgeon and just suck it up that I gotta pay for what I used to get for free. Luckily I was able to score some local zucchini for only .99 a pounds so I bought 6 little ones and took them home for a little baking and cooking therapy. I also had 3 pints of blueberries sitting in my fridge needing to be used so the whole zucchini blueberry combo was born out of desperation and general “oh that sounds good” ness.

Vermont Trip Pictures

I also used this opportunity to stuff these little waffles full of maple syrup. Before I moved to New York I only ate fake maple syrup product. I not only sweetened these babies with maple syrup but I also put it into the compote. It’s like double the blueberry and double the maple syrup fun.

Luckily for me I had lots of maple syrup sitting around my trip to Vermont this past May. I traveled to Vermont, thanks to Amber at Sweet and Simple Magazine, (In the totally cool new Toyota Highlander! I think I could have lived in that car it was so roomy!)  with my partner in crime Gina and we ate and drank our hearts out.

Topnotch resort Vermont

We stayed at the totally awesome Topnotch Resort which I will be back to ASAP! The rooms were super spacious, the beds were ahhhhhhhhhhhmazing and they have an awesome heated pool. A heated pool people! That means when it’s chilly out you can still get your swim on. Plus their bar stocks Heady Topper so you know it’s awesome.

Sugar on Snow Butternut Mountain Farms Vermont

On our first full day we hit a lot of great spots but we started with brunch at the Stowe Mountain Lodge. Oh my gah! Talk about a great hotel. They also had a delicious heated pool and their pastries were 100% on fleek. I’m going to need 2 weeks in Vermont the next time I go back just so I can stay at all the hotels I want to go back too.

We also hit up Butternut Mountain Farm for a little maple tasting and sugar on snow! Have you ever had sugar on snow? You literally pour warmed maple syrup over snow, twist it up on a fork and eat it. It’s like the most delicious maple taffy you have EVER had. Next winter I have a date with dessert. We also hit up Lake Champlain chocolate (CHOCOLATE!!!!) and Burlington Hilton Mounted Cat for dinner.

ayers brook farm vermont

After dinner we hightailed it back it Stowe and met back up at the Trapp Family Lodge. When we arrived we were greeted by the most amazing Vermont Creamy cheese display and all the drinks we could handle thanks to Shacksbury Cider, Stonecutter Spirits, Whistle Pig whiskey and Lincoln Peak Vineyard. That night was heck of a good time and now I’m obsessed with all things cheese…and wine…and whiskey…and gin…and cider…

You get it.

Last but not least we hit up a cute little got dairy farm called Ayers Brook. I got to see baby goats (born that day!) and see how the whole dairy process works. They help supply Vermont Creamery with the goat milk to make all their delicious cheeses. It’s amazing when you can see where your food comes from.

So now that I’ve been home for awhile I figured it was time to tell everyone about my trip, bust out my maple syrup and get my eatin’ on. Hence these waffles and ALL the delicious maple syrup packed into them.

Trust me, just make these babies and then you’ll know true love.

Well true love in waffle form.

Blueberry Zucchini Oat Waffles

Yield: 4 - 6 waffles

For oat flour:

• 2-1/2 cups gluten free old fashioned rolled oats

For waffles:

• 2 cups oat flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup coconut milk beverage (the stuff from the carton not the can)
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
  • 1 cup shredded zucchini
  • 1 pint fresh blueberries

For blueberry maple compote:

• 1 pint fresh blueberries
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup

For oat flour:
Add oats to a high powered blender and blend until it's the consistency of flour.

For waffles:
In a large bowl add oat flour, baking powder, cinnamon and kosher salt. Whisk together.

In a smaller bowl whisk together eggs, coconut milk, maple syrup and melted coconut oil. If the oil starts to solidify simple warm the mixture (very carefully) just so the oil stays melted.

Pour liquid mixture into the dry mixture and stir to combine. Fold in zucchini and blueberries.

Let the mixture sit for about 10 minutes so the mixture can set up. If the mixture is too thin after 10 minutes stir in just a little more oat flour until desired constancy is met.

Add batter to waffle maker and cook according to manufactures directions.

Top with blueberry compote and whipped cream.

For blueberry compote:
In a small pan add blueberries and maple syrup. Cook over medium heat until the mixture is thickened and the blueberries have popped open and cooked own.

*After you shred your zucchini let it sit for a few minutes and then squeeze it out to rid it of any extra moisture.

Disclosure: I was not monetarily compensated for the post but I did receive free lodging and meals while in Vermont. I was able to enjoy the new Toyota Highlander for no charge.

36 Responses to “Blueberry Zucchini Oat Waffles”

Monique @ Ambitious Kitchen — July 27, 2015 at 8:40 am

I am obsessed with these waffles. All your travel adventures look amazing, especially the baby goat part (!!!). Also, I love that these are gluten free with the oat flour – amazing!

Christie — July 27, 2015 at 8:41 am

We planted zucchini for the first time this year and have gotten exactly 2. LOL – we must be doing something wrong. At least the one yesterday was huge. I love the idea of using them in this waffle with blueberries. Yum.

Krista @ Joyful Healthy Eats — July 27, 2015 at 9:45 am

How fun does that place sound! 🙂

These waffles! Love the fresh blueberry and zucchini combo! I suck at making waffles, every time they come out messed up and not crispy on the outside… need to try this version!

Julie @ Texan New Yorker — July 27, 2015 at 9:58 am

These sound awesome!! And I’m with you, I have to buy my zucchini too. Apartment life…

Katie @ Recipe for Perfection — July 27, 2015 at 11:04 am

Love the look of the waffles. And your trip sounds like a blast, too!

Sarah Walker Caron (Sarah's Cucina Bella) — July 27, 2015 at 11:22 am

I have to tell you, there is so much I love about living in a townhouse — particularly that someone else handles yard work and snow removal. But the one thing I miss — so surprisingly — is yard space for a decent sized garden, patio furniture and a grill. But I am still glad that I don’t have to mow or manicure that yard space.

These waffles look amazing.

Danae @ Recipe Runner — July 27, 2015 at 11:44 am

I wish I could send you some of my zucchini Brandy! It’s hitting it’s peak right now and I’m adding it to everything. I’ll be adding these gorgeous waffles to the list of things to make with it!

Stephanie — July 27, 2015 at 3:03 pm

Sounds like a good time! And now I need waffles! These look awesome!

Justine | Cooking and Beer — July 27, 2015 at 3:07 pm

I seriously need some baby goats in my life! Love this post! I also am obsessed with the fact that there is zucchini in these waffles! GENIUS!

Martha @ A Family Feast — July 27, 2015 at 3:18 pm

What a great trip – and those waffles look amazing too!

CatK — July 27, 2015 at 4:02 pm

I love zucchini bread and blueberries and waffles, what a wonderful idea to combine them! I bet those are delicious! I can’t wait to play around with this recipe!

Julia — July 27, 2015 at 4:13 pm

What a fun trip! I love Vermont and need to go back soon. These waffles look amazing by the way!

Sarah @ The Chef Next Door — July 27, 2015 at 5:19 pm

Your trip sounds amazing! And these waffles are the bomb. I love, love, love homemade waffles. Especially of the blueberry variety. Totally delish!

The Food Hunter — July 27, 2015 at 5:26 pm

We are just starting to get some zucchini. I am definitely trying these!

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet — July 27, 2015 at 10:31 pm

Now that sounds like a fun trip! We grow our own zucchini and it is definitely worth it! Pancakes look amazing!

Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes — July 27, 2015 at 10:36 pm

I’m loving zucchini right now! I feel your pain about the townhouse. I lived in apartment for a VERY long time. But think of what a time saver not having to take care of a lawn or shovel snow is! Time is money 🙂

Melanie | Melanie Makes — July 27, 2015 at 11:40 pm

Loving this flavor combo – a must try in my near future!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — July 28, 2015 at 9:26 am

Crushing hard on this flavour!! LOVE this!

JulieD — July 28, 2015 at 9:41 am

The waffles look amazing…and Vermont…I love Vermont! Your trip looks like it was so much fun!

Kirsten/ComfortablyDomestic — July 28, 2015 at 9:59 am

Waffles are a weekly obsession around my house–these look amazing! What a fun trip, cruising around in a Highlander, eating All the Maple Syrup, and petting baby goats. I seriously need to travel Nutmeg Nanny style.

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — July 28, 2015 at 10:47 am

What a great trip, plus resort to stay at – I’ve always wanted to experience Vermont. Those waffles! Those blueberries! YUM.

Andi @ The Weary Chef — July 28, 2015 at 11:32 am

It sounds like you had such a fun time on your trip.
    I’m so excited to try these waffles. Really looks good!! Thanks for sharing this fun recipe with us. 🙂

Renee - Kudos Kitchen — July 28, 2015 at 11:38 am

I’ve never made my own oat flour, never seen a baby goat born that same day, eaten (or made) snow candy, and I’ve never added zucchini to my waffles. I do however get to pick zucchini from our yard (more often then I care to), and they’re usually the size of baseball bats and take over the garden, and I am lucky enough (not) to shovel snow, and plenty of it in the winter! Boo. Your waffles look delicious. Wish I had some for breakfast!

Paula - bell'alimento — July 28, 2015 at 3:25 pm

How fun does that sound! And oat flour? Gotta look into that.

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — July 28, 2015 at 7:42 pm

So Rich and I basically fell in love with Vermont and I’m hard up to get back there!!! Maple allthethings.

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction — July 29, 2015 at 8:34 am

I wish I had these waffles for breakfast right now!

Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry — July 29, 2015 at 10:34 am

Sounds like an amazing trip! And these waffles look delicious. You can never go wrong with double maple syrup action.

Kim Beaulieu — July 29, 2015 at 2:31 pm

I love this recipe way too much. Nothing better than homemade waffles. That maple syrup trick over snow is so awesome. They do it here in Canada for tourists. Always yummy.

Carrie @Frugal Foodie Mama — July 29, 2015 at 4:52 pm

Wait! Maple syrup poured over snow?? That sounds so simple, yet completely amazing. 🙂 And I hear you about the zucchini. We don’t have a garden this year- even though I have never really grown zucchini when we have had one because their vines take up so much room- but I have found the local farmers market is much more reasonable with their prices than the grocery store is. 🙂 These waffles love amazing! I am always sneaking veggies into sweets in this house, so I will definitely be whipping these up for my family soon. 😉

@Travelpanties — July 29, 2015 at 4:53 pm

Ahh this looks so beautiful! I’m headed to Vermont in a few weeks and I can’t wait! Will have to check out Stowe Mountain Lodge it looks awesome! Beautiful hotel.

Lora @cakeduchess — July 30, 2015 at 7:36 am

I’ve never heard of eating snow with maple syrup and it looks crazy good! Got to love all the the coconut wonderfulness in these waffles. Looks like an amazing time!!

Tara | Treble in the Kitchen — July 30, 2015 at 8:26 am

These waffles look amazing. I don’t know why I NEVER thought to include zucchini in pancakes or waffles but it sounds like such a great idea 🙂

Julie @ Table for Two — July 30, 2015 at 9:04 am

Ahh VT. So pretty! I want to do the maple syrup thing with snow…although not sure I’d be too fond of snow right now 😉 either way, these waffles are calling my naaaame!

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — July 31, 2015 at 12:08 pm

I’ve never been to Vermont but it is definitely a place that I would like to visit. Beautiful hotel room.

Deborah — July 31, 2015 at 11:00 pm

First of all, those waffles – YUM! Second, I need to get to Vermont asap. I’ve read a few things about Stowe Mountain Lodge, so they have been on my radar, but you just added all kinds of new places to my list as well!

1. Pingback: Friday Faves - greens & chocolate