Tangy Apple Slaw Corned Beef Reuben

This tangy apple slaw corned beef reuben is the perfect fall sandwich. Perfectly toasted marble rye topped with an apple cabbage slaw, corned beef, melted swiss cheese and lots of homemade Russian dressing.

The weather has been absolutely perfect these past couple of weeks. My poor husband is pretty much freezing because almost every night I want to throw open the windows and breath in that fresh 40 degree air. Of course my decision is vetoed and I’m forced to instead lay there with the fan blasting on my face while dreaming about cold crisp sleeping air.

I know I’m so weird. But seriously I cannot sleep if I’m even the tiniest bit warm. I love fall and I’m not afraid to admit it! Give me all the cool crisp air please!

You know what else is awesome about fall? Apples! I swear I could scream I get so happy when it’s fresh apple season. Listen, I know apples keep really well and sure I can have an apple anytime I want. Even in the middle of January I can run to the store and get an apple. But you know what? That apple might taste ok for an apple in January but it tastes nothing like a fresh from the farm fall time apple.

You know what’s even better? SweeTango® apples. I tried them for the first time a couple of years ago and fell in love. They are perfectly crisp, juicy and nice and sweet. In fact they are a combination of Honeycrisp and Zestar! apples. So you know they are going to be delicious! They are also the perfect “from the hand” type of apple. Meaning you don’t need to throw them in a pie to enjoy them. They are great eaten raw or barely cooked. Plus not just anyone can grow SweeTango apples. You have to be hand picked and have just the right type of farm to grow these beauties. This insures that every single SweeTango apple is absolutely perfect.

That’s why today I’m showing you a scrumptious recipe for a simple sandwich you can throw together for a quick and easy weeknight supper or a weekend lunch. It’s a play on the usually heavily loaded Reuben sandwich by pairing it with a fresh apple and cabbage tangy slaw. It’s a simple dish that is sure to knock your socks off!

Also included is the usual suspects – corned beef, Swiss cheese and homemade Russian dressing. This is the type of sandwich you dream about!

Luckily for you I’m giving you the recipe so your dreams can come true!

{Looking for more delicious sandwich recipes? Try my Cuban sandwich, avocado egg salad BLT or my turkey apple brie panini with honey mustard maple mayo.}

Tangy Apple Slaw Corned Beef Reuben

Yield: 2 sandwiches

For slaw:

• 1/2 cup thinly matchstick sliced SweeTango apples
  • 1/2 cup shredded cabbage cole slaw mix
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • Kosher salt and pepper, to taste

For sandwich:

• 4 slices marble rye bread
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 4 tablespoons homemade Russian dressing
  • 4 slices Swiss cheese
  • ½ pound deli sliced corned beef

For slaw:
Mix all ingredients together and set aside until you prepare the sandwich.

For sandwich:
Preheat your Panini press to medium heat.

Spread ½ tablespoon butter onto 1 side of each slice of bread. On the other side of each slice spread 1 tablespoon Russian dressing.

Top the Russian dressing with 1 slice of Swiss cheese. On 2 slices of the bread top with half the corned beef and half of the apple cabbage slaw. Top each sliced with remaining slice of bread, cheese side down.

Add sandwich to the Panini press and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the sandwich is warm and golden brown.

Disclosure: This post has been sponsored by SweeTango apples. As always all thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.

29 Responses to “Tangy Apple Slaw Corned Beef Reuben”

Marye — October 14, 2015 at 7:43 am

Oh wow, this looks so good! I have 2 kids who LOVE a good rueben sandwich, They’re going to need to try this!

Jennie @onesweetmess — October 14, 2015 at 8:05 am

We have all the windows open in the house now that the weather has finally chilled down a bit. Love sleeping with the fresh air flowing through the house. Girl, this is one hell of a sammie. Pass the plate, please.

Lauren @ Wicked Spatula — October 14, 2015 at 8:44 am

I LOVE a good reuben and this one looks fantastic! I need to try this apple slaw super soon!

meg @ With Salt and Wit — October 14, 2015 at 9:00 am

Reubens are my weakness then you went and added apples…im dead.

Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes — October 14, 2015 at 9:48 am

I love apple season too and reubens are one of my faves!! Love this!

Beth — October 14, 2015 at 10:18 am

I love sleeping with the window open, until I have to get out of bed in the morning and it’s freezing!!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen.com — October 14, 2015 at 10:24 am

This is the kind of sandwich that my guys would love. That apple slaw would be the perfect crunch!

Sarah | Broma Bakery — October 14, 2015 at 10:41 am

I eat a sandwich every day for lunch- I freaking love sandwiches. So this one is giving me cravings for lunch at 10am!

Kimberly @ The Daring Gourmet — October 14, 2015 at 10:44 am

This looks soooooo good. Reubens have always been a favorite and I love this version! Is it okay to have one at 7:45am? 🙂

Katerina @ Diethood — October 14, 2015 at 11:41 am

40 degrees and windows open? NO!
    Tangy apple slaw corned beef reuben??? OH MY GAWD!! YEEEEES!

Nicole — October 14, 2015 at 4:16 pm

I love this unique twist to a Reuben! I’m adding apple slaw to my next sandwich!

Marjory @ Dinner-Mom — October 14, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Love the apple twist. I’m pretty picky about my apples and these look delish!

Justine | Cooking and Beer — October 14, 2015 at 6:11 pm

I have been eyeing these sandwiches ALL DAY LONG. I have a serious obsession with reubens, and I’m going crazy over that tangy apple slaw!

The Food Hunter — October 14, 2015 at 6:25 pm

The colors on this sandwich are just amazing. I want to go home and make one right now

Kristen — October 14, 2015 at 7:24 pm

Oh wow! I love this variation on a Reuben! I adore apple slaw and I adore Reubens, so I am sure I would LOVE this sandwich!!

Jennifer Stewart — October 14, 2015 at 8:50 pm

Thanks goodness that we can finally open the windows. Down here in South Georgia we are just now getting a touch of cooler weather. When the night temp dropped to 65 I threw those windows open right away! My house started to smell fresh again! Back to the item at hand…apples on a reuben? This is going to be lunch this weekend!!

Happy Valley Chow — October 14, 2015 at 9:13 pm

I love love LOVE reubens and your s looks incredible! Great job 🙂

Catherine — October 14, 2015 at 9:20 pm

Dear Brandy, I am a big, big fan of this sandwich and I think the idea of apple slaw is brilliant. What a juicy, flavorful dish…perfect for brunch, lunch or dinner! xo, Catherine

Sabrina @ Dinner, then Dessert — October 15, 2015 at 12:53 am

My husband loves reubens! This sounds like a really delicious one!

Anita — October 15, 2015 at 2:52 am

Wow, that first shot is spectacular! I love all the colors in your Reuben!

Lora @cakeduchess — October 15, 2015 at 6:12 am

We had to have our windows open because our A/C broke and I’m sad to say, it wasn’t even close to 40, more like 75…ha! Reuben is a favorite sandwich of mine! Save me one!

Sharon @ What The Fork Food Blog — October 15, 2015 at 2:11 pm

I’m seriously drooling over this sandwich right now and I just ate lunch. It looks and sounds divine!

Trish - Mom On Timeout — October 15, 2015 at 4:38 pm

This is the PERFECT fall sandwich! We were at Disneyland last weekend and it was 106 – I was like where the heck is the fall weather already? Gorgeous photos!

Kirsten/ComfortablyDomestic — October 15, 2015 at 11:59 pm

SweeTango apples are some of my favorites. I want to heap that slaw on everything!

Ginny McMeans — October 16, 2015 at 1:23 am

Reuben’s were my favorite as a kid. Love your slaw and it sounds like it is a prefect match.

CC — October 16, 2015 at 12:03 pm

This Looks AMAZEBALLS! And that’s coming from a true Ruben Connoisseur. You have outdone yourself with this one! It will be great with your microwave sweet potato chips! Super YUM! Thanks for another great recipe!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — October 18, 2015 at 5:31 pm

I seriously want to jump through the screen and take a huge bite of this sandwich. That slaw looks KILLER!

Natasha @ Salt and Lavender — October 21, 2015 at 11:46 am

Ok those look reeeallly good. I never thought about putting apples on reubens… seems like it would work!! Pinned.

1. Pingback: Shaved Brussels Sprout Apple Bacon Salad {Giveaway} | Nutmeg Nanny