This creamy pumpkin baked ziti is the perfect weeknight pumpkin packed meal. Made with creamy canned pumpkin, spicy Italian sausage, Parmesan cheese, fresh sage, and stringy mozzarella cheese.
If you’re looking for the perfect seasonal fall pasta dish this creamy pumpkin baked ziti has it all!
I made it with spicy Italian sausage, lots of fresh sage, and of course – CHEESE!
Savory pumpkin is my jam and I adore any savory pumpkin recipe when it pairs pumpkin and sage.
It’s a literal match made in heaven!
All you have to do is brown up the meat, mix all the filling together, toss it with some cooked ziti pasta, top with cheese, and bake.
Then you just devour and enjoy!
I will sometimes even sprinkle on a little crushed red pepper because I LOVE me some spicy pasta.
Can I use a different shaped pasta?
While I always think of ziti when it comes to baked pasta you can always substitute any other favorite shape of pasta – penne, cavatappi, shells, or even fusilli.
I would probably stay away form longer pasta like spaghetti or super small pasta like orzo.
What can I use in place of pumpkin?
Mashed or pureed sweet potato or butternut squash is a great replacement.
Or you can always use homemade pumpkin puree if you have it on hand.
Do I have to use spicy Italian sausage?
If you’re not into spicy sausage you can always substitute it with sweet Italian sausage, ground beef, ground turkey, or even ground pork.
I personally love the little bite of heat spicy sausage but I know heat is not the thing everyone looks for in a dish.
Especially if you have kids.
Can I add vegetables to this creamy pumpkin baked ziti?
If you’re looking to add even more vegetables to this dish it would work well with baby spinach.
It’s an easy enough vegetable to find at the store and stirs in like a dream.
You don’t even have to cook it before you stir it in.
Love this easy creamy pumpkin baked ziti?
Why not try a few of my other delicious pasta recipes!
- One Pot Buffalo Chicken Pasta
- One Pot Ground Chicken Fajita Pasta
- Spicy Sausage Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
- Chicken Broccoli Ziti
- Chicken Bacon Pumpkin Gnocchi
- Pumpkin Cauliflower Alfredo Meatball Pasta Bake
- 1 pound ziti pasta, cooked al dente
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced small
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta until al dente and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick spray, set aside.
- Set a 12-inch high sided skillet to medium-high heat.
- Add sausage, garlic, onion, fresh sage, and fresh oregano.
- Break up sausage and cook until the sausage is fully cooked and the onion is translucent.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add in pumpkin puree, beef stock, and Parmesan cheese.
- Stir to combine.
- Add in the pasta and stir until fully combined.
- Add the pasta mixture to the prepare pan and top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Add dish to the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the pasta is hot and the cheese is melted on top.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 446Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 768mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 23g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.