This frozen mint julep is a cool and refreshing adult summer slushie with sweet and smoky bourbon and fresh mint.
The Kentucky Derby is just around the corner, and what better way to celebrate this iconic event than with a refreshing and delicious frozen mint julep?
This frozen mint julep has refreshingly sweet mint simple syrup, lots of cold ice, smoky bourbon, and fresh mint leaves blended together to make a frosty and invigorating cocktail perfect for sipping while watching the race, or lounging on the porch on a hot summer day.
This classic cocktail is a staple in the South and for good reason!
It’s crisp, cool, and perfectly balanced, with just the right amount of sweetness and a refreshing hint of mint
So get ready, wear your fanciest hat, and raise a glass to this iconic Southern tradition!
Table of Contents
Ingredients for frozen mint julep
- Mint simple syrup – Mint simple syrup is super easy to make! Check out my recipe for Mint Simple Syrup to make your own!
- Bourbon – Bourbon is a classic ingredient in a mint julep.
- Ice – Ice will help turn this drink into a slushie delight!
- Fresh mint leaves – Fresh only, not dried!
Why fresh mint leaves?
Fresh herbs have a cleaner, brighter flavor, and a more delicate texture.
Dried herbs have a more muted, and slightly bitter flavor to them, and an unpleasant leathery texture. They will not release any oils or fragrances into the beverage because they are dried.
What is Bourbon?
Bourbon is a barrel-aged American whiskey made from corn.
The difference between bourbon whiskey, and whiskey, is that bourbon whiskey has to be made of at least 51% corn mash.
And nothing is more Southern than Kentucky bourbon!
If you would like to add your own spin on this frozen mint julep, here are some fun additions that would be tasty:
- Sugared rim
- Garnish with cherries or an orange slice
- Add a splash of club soda to make it fizzy!
- If you’re in need of a sugar-free option, make your simple syrup with your favorite sugar substitute.
Storage and leftovers
Frozen mint juleps are best consumed as soon as they’re made, so unfortunately, no leftovers here!
- Looking for an adult summer treat? Try my Mango Margarita Boozesicle
- Need a thirst-quenching cocktail? Try my Coconut Mojito
- Want something spicy to cool you down? Try my Jalapeno Watermelon Margarita
- Craving something cold and sweet? Try my Mango Mojito
Frozen Mint Julep
- 5 cups ice
- 6 ounces bourbon
- 6 ounces mint simple syrup
- Fresh mint for garnish
- In a high-powered blender add ice, bourbon, and simple syrup.
- Blend until smooth and garnish with fresh mint if desired.