This Instant Pot broccoli cheddar soup is a quick and easy recipe that is sure to please the whole family. Tastes just like Panera but made from the comfort of your home! Plus, it cooks up in just 20 minutes!
Want a quick and easy weeknight meal?
Look no further than this delicious Instant Pot broccoli cheddar soup!
It’s hearty, full of flavor, and cooks up in just 20 minutes!
Who doesn’t love a fast soup recipe?
Of course, if you have been following me for awhile you know I’m a HUGE soup lover. That’s why I couldn’t wait to share this recipe.
It reminds me a lot of broccoli cheddar soup from Panera but made right from home.
Super easy, super fast, and super delicious!
What ingredients do I need to make broccoli cheddar soup?
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this delicious soup.
- Broccoli – This is the showcase vegetable! Use fresh broccoli or to save on time use frozen broccoli!
- Celery – This adds light flavor and texture.
- Carrots – A classic broccoli cheddar soup ingredient. Plus it brings a pop of color.
- Sweet onion – My personal favorite but you could use yellow onion in a pinch.
- Garlic – Always add garlic.
- Chicken stock – You can easily use vegetable stock in it’s place but my personal favorite is chicken stock.
- Cheddar cheese – Freshly shredded! It will melt better and smoothier than the bagged shredded cheese.
- All Purpose Flour – This is mixed with the shredded cheese to help thicken the soup.
- Cornstarch – This is also used to help thicken the soup.
How do I make Instant Pot broccoli cheddar soup?
The best thing about this recipe is that even with prep time this recipe cooks up in just 20 minutes.
First you’ll want to saute a few of the vegetables just until the onion starts to soften.
Then, add in the broccoli, garlic, and chicken stock and pressure cook the veggies.
This helps soften them up quickly for the soup.
Mix the shredded cheese with the flour and cornstarch, slowly add it to the soup while stirring, and eventually pour in the heavy cream.
This soup is thick and creamy and is great served with an extra sprinkling of cheddar cheese on top.
What changes can I make to this recipe?
I really love this recipe as is but there are a few changes you can easily make.
- Try using vegetable stock in stead of chicken stock if you have it on hand. It will add even more rich vegetable flavor.
- If you’re out of fresh brocoli you can easily use frozen in its place. You’re looking to use 3-1/2 to 4 cups broccoli.
- I like using a sharpe cheddar cheese but you can use a milk cheddar in its place if you want a milder cheese taste.
- For a little heat add a few dashes of crushed red pepper flake.
Any tips for making this soup?
The biggest tip is to use fresh shredded cheese!
It melts smoothier and without clumping, unlike the bagged shredded cheese.
I like to buy a brick of sharp cheddar and shred it right on my box grater. You can also shred in a food processor.
How do I store leftover broccoli cheddar soup?
You’ll want to store any leftover broccoli cheddar soup in an air tight container for up to 4 days.
I like to reheat it slowly on the stovetop but you can also easily reheat this soup in the microwave.
You can also freeze your soup for up to 3 months. Simply let the soup cool to room temperature, add to a freezer safe bag or conainer and add to the freezer.
Love this Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar soup?
Why not try a few of my other delicious Instant Pot recipes?
- Looking to get a little spicy? Try my Instant Pot Cajun Chicken Alfredo.
- Want a classic soup recipe? Try my Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup.
- How about the easiest to peel eggs EVER? Try my Pressure Cooker Hard Boiled Eggs.
- Love a good Southern classic? Try my Instant Pot Pinto Beans.
- Need a great cold day recipe? Try my Pressure Cooker Butternut Squash Congee.
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced sweet onion, about 1 small onion
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets, roughly 3-1/2 to 4 cups
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1-1/2 cups freshly shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Heat the Instant Pot using the saute function and add olive oil.
- When the oil is hot add the onion, carrot, and celery.
- Saute, stirring occasionally, until the onions are just starting to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic, broccoli, and chicken stock. Stir to combine.
- Attach the lid and ensure the valve is in the sealing position.
- Pressure cook on manual high for 2 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot has finished cooking, release the pressure manually by switching the valve into the venting position. Be careful this will release hot steam.
- In a small bowl stir together the grated cheese, flour, and cornstarch.
- Remove the lid of the Instant Pot and switch to the saute function.
- Add the cheese, a little at a time, stirring occasionally.
- Once all the cheese has been incorporated, add the heavy cream and cook the soup for 2-3 minutes or until the soup has thickened slightly.
- Enjoy immediately and if desired top with additional cheese.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 336Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 513mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 14g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.