If you’re looking for a delicious, quick, and easy meal, look no further than these Walmart Hot Ribs paired with this jalapeño cheddar cornbread! It’s filled with sharp cheddar cheese, fresh diced jalapeños, and green onion. You’ll love this easy cornbread recipe!
This post is sponsored by Walmart. All opinions and thoughts are 100% my own.
If there is one thing I love, it is fast and easy dinner time recipes!
In fact, most nights I’m always looking for a little help. That’s why when Walmart asked me to team up to showcase their Hot Ribs, I jumped at the opportunity. Ribs just might be one of my love languages.
I of course knew I had to pair these ribs with something delicious, so I opted to make this jalapeño cheese bread because what’s better than cornbread paired with delicious ribs?
Also, in case you’re not a fan of sweet cornbread you’re in luck! This recipe only uses 2 tablespoons of sugar for the whole batch. But, if you like it a little sweeter you can add another 2 tablespoons.
This cornbread is studded with chopped jalapeño, green onions, and lots of extra sharp cheddar cheese. Plus it’s light and fluffy in texture so if you’re a fan of this type of cornbread this recipe is just for you!
It’s easy to pull together and pairs perfectly with everything from chili to ribs.
Tell me more about these ribs!
If there is one thing I’m pressed for most days it’s time!
Luckily I can just hop into my car and drive to my local Walmart to pick up hot and delicious ribs any day of the week.
These ribs were seasoned and cooked to absolute perfection. If you like fall of the bone tender ribs these are the ribs for you!
Plus, like I said they even come with their own bbq sauce. That means whether you love your rubs wet, or dry, you can have both options with Walmart’s hot ribs.
And the thing I love most about these ribs is that they are served hot, so there is ZERO need to reheat. Literally, just get home from the store, set it on the table, and BOOM dinner!
The bbq sauce is tangy with a subtle sweetness that is sure to please even the pickiest of bbq sauce lovers. I actually really loved the tang to this sauce. Since moving to the south, I have acquired a taste for tangy vinegar-based bbq sauces.
Pro-tip – call your Walmart deli beforehand, so you can make sure they haven’t sold out of these ribs before you get there. This happened to me and they were able to cook up a few more batches that were ready in just about an hour – how fast and easy is that?
The Perfect Pair
So while most people think of serving cornbread with chili (and I don’t disagree it’s a great option!), my favorite pairing is with bbq slathered ribs!
I paired up with Walmart to show off their new fresh Hot Ribs that you can find daily at their counter deli or hot deli case. If you’re not sure where that is in your local Walmart it’s near where you would typically buy a fresh rotisserie chicken.
I actually made my jalapeño cheddar cornbread earlier in the day and then ran out to buy the Hot Ribs for a quick and easy dinner. I may not have school-age kids but I’m still looking for fast and easy weeknight meals!
Oh, and if you’re short on BBQ sauce don’t worry. These piping hot ribs come with their own bbq sauce so you don’t need to lift a finger!
These ribs made making dinner so much easier, and I plan on adding them to my dinner menu rotation. It’s nice to get a little help sometimes and it’s even better if that help is in the form of delicious ribs!
Try some for yourself: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Freshly-Prepared-Hot-Baby-Back-Ribs-Rack/189607671
What do I need to make homemade jalapeño cheddar cornbread?
Making homemade cornbread is super easy! In fact, you only need a few ingredients that you might already have on hand in your pantry.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Kosher salt
- Extra sharp cheddar cheese
- Green onions
- Chopped fresh jalapeños
All of these ingredients can be easily found in your local grocery store or ordered from an online grocery store.
What changes to this cornbread can I make?
If you’re looking to switch things up for this cornbread you can make a few changes that will really let this dish shine.
- Wanna add more smokey flavor? Add some bacon for added saltiness and smoked flavor. This option pairs perfectly with bbq ribs.
- Use a different cheese – if you want to add even more spice go with a shredded pepper jack or for less sharpness use a mild cheddar or a Colby Jack blend. I opted for sharp cheddar because the sharp cheese pairs perfectly with smokey ribs.
- Not a fan of heat – you can leave out the jalapeño peppers or use less if you’re not a fan of peppers. To my personal taste, this cornbread is not spicy but spicy levels are a very personal choice.
- Add flavors like minced garlic or even smoked paprika to the bread to bring in even more flavor.
- Stir in up to 1 cup of sweet corn kernels for added corn flavor. Roasted corn is another flavor addition!
- Turn into cornbread muffins by adding to a lined muffin tin and cooking for about 15 minutes per batch.
Do I have to let my cornbread batter rest?
You do not have to BUT letting it rest helps activate the baking powder.
This adds more air into the batter which means you’ll be left with a light and fluffy cornbread.
Which, if you’re asking me is the perfect type of cornbread!
Can I freeze leftover cornbread?
Yes, of course!
Wrap any leftover cooled cornbread in plastic wrap and then add to a freezer-safe ziptop bag for storage.
You can freeze your cornbread for up to 3 months.
How do I reheat cornbread?
You can reheat cornbread by warming it slightly in a toaster oven or just enjoying it at room temperature.
Love this easy jalapeño cheddar cornbread?
Why not try a few of my other delicious side dishes that would pair perfectly with Walmart hot ribs!
- Easy bacon baked beans
- The best cucumber salad
- Easy carrot fritters
- Classic macaroni salad
- Honey mustard potato salad
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup minced green onions, just the green part
- 1/4 cup minced seeded jalapeños
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl add all-purpose flour, yellow cornmeal, granulated sugar, baking powder, and kosher salt.
- Whisk to combine and make a well in the center of the dry mixture.
- In a smaller mixing bowl whisk together eggs, buttermilk, and unsalted butter.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the well of the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Fold in the shredded cheese, green onions, and diced jalapeño and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Add the rested batter to the prepared dish and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the cornbread is lightly browned on top and springs back lightly when touched in the middle.
- Let cool slightly and serve alongside your favorite dish.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 486Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 126mgSodium: 799mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 16g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.