Are you looking for a classic holiday cookie with a minty twist? Well, look no further than these peppermint kiss cookies! A deliciously soft cookie flavored with mint and topped with a chocolate kiss. Sprinkle with extra crushed peppermint if you’re looking for even more flavor!
If you’re looking for a delicious holiday cookie these peppermint kiss cookies are just what you need!
Growing up my grandma used to make kiss cookies every single Christmas.
To this day they are one of my favorite cookies!
This version takes away the peanut butter cookie base and replaces it with a simple brown sugar cookie (very similar to a chocolate chip cookie base) and adds in a little mint extract for a punch of seasonal flavor.
If you’re a huge fan of mint you can add up to 1 teaspoon of mint extract for extra flavor.
I also like to sprinkle my cookies with a little crushed peppermint so everyone knows that these kiss cookies are just a little different!
Ingredients to make these peppermint kiss cookies
- All purpose flour – this is the base of our recipe and most general cookie recipes. I like to use unbleached but you can feel free to use whatever you have on hand. You could also use white whole wheat flour in place.
- Baking powder – baking powder helps you cookies rise and stay fluffy and light.
- Kosher salt – like any baked good a touch of salt helps balance flavors and keeps things from tasting flat.
- Unsalted butter – I like to use unsalted butter because I can control the sodium levels throuhg the recipe. However, if you only have salted butter on hand you can reduce the kosher salt by half.
- Granulated sugar – this is a basic sweetener for the cookie this is another word for white sugar.
- Dark brown sugar – I love using dark brown sugar because of the full molasses flavor but you can also use light brown sugar.
- Egg – this helps bind the cookies together and keeps them moist.
- Vanilla extract – just a touch to bring in some flavor!
- Peppermint extract – this gives the cookies a punch of minty flavor.
- Hershey kiss – I like to use the traditional milk chocolate variety in these cookies but you could also use dark chocolate or mint chocolate Hershey kiss.
How to store kiss cookies?
I like to store my kiss cookies in an air tight container in a cool room or I sometimes freeze them for up to a month.
If you’re going to freeze the cookies sprinkle them with crushed peppermint candies after you remove them from the freezer.
What candy do I use for kiss cookies?
The best candy to use for these peppermint kiss cookies is the milk chocolate Hershey kiss candies.
You can typically find them year round in the grocery store near where you find seasonal candies and gifts or the baking aisle or candy aisle.
Other great options are dark chocolate kisses, peppermint kisses, or peppermint hugs.
Love these peppermint kiss cookies?
Why not try a few of my other delicious Christmas cookie recipes?
- Craving a classic holiday cookie? Try my Soft Gingerbread Cutout Cookies.
- Love all things chocolate and mint? Try my Chocolate Peppermint Bark Cookies.
- Need a delicious spice cookie in your life? Try my Molasses Ginger Raisin Cookies.
- Want a classic with a chocolate twist? Try my Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, plus extra sugar for rolling
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 24 Hershey’s milk chocolate kisses
- Crushed candy canes, optional for topping
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside
- In another bowl, using a hand-held or stand mixer, cream butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar till smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Add egg, vanilla, and peppermint extracts and mix until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in 2 batches, mixing just until combined after each addition.
- Cover dough and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F and line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Roll cookie dough into 1 inch balls, roll in extra granulated sugar and place onto the prepared tray, 2 inches apart. You should get about 24 total cookies.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 8-10 minutes
- Remove from the oven, cool on a rack for 2 minutes, then press the Hershey kisses into the center of the cookies.
- Continue to cool on a wire rack to room temperature.
- Optional, garnish with crushed peppermint candy.
For even more mint flavor use 1 teaspoon mint extract or use mint flavored Hershey Kisses.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 149Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 51mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 0gSugar: 11gProtein: 2g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.