A hearty slow cooker beef barley soup will stick to your bones and keep you full all winter long. It’s packed full of vegetables, barley, and beef.
It’s been raining for two straight days here.
This does not make me happy. I have always wanted to be one of those people who don’t mind the rain, but sadly, I am not.
I now know I could never hack living in Washington. I would probably shrivel up and die. I need sunlight.
It’s only December 7th and I already miss the sunlight of summer. Blerg.
So, what’s better than soup for when you are feeling down?
Nothing, in my opinion.
Especially when it’s a thick and hearty stick to your bones type of soup. Luckily this slow cooker beef barley soup is just that!
Plus side, it’s also made in the slow cooker.
So when you’re in a sloth-like state, because it’s grey and rainy, you only need to exert a small amount of energy to throw everything in the cooker.
Then it’s back to being lazy! It’s the best.
More delicious soup recipes
- Want the same hearty soup but in IP form? Try my Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup.
- Love hearty soups? Try my Easy Ham and Bean Soup.
- Craving a light soup? Try my Creamy Red Lentil Carrot Soup.
- Need an easy soup recipe? Try my Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup.
- 2 pounds chuck roast, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves pulled off stem
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, cored and diced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 6 cups beef stock, more if needed
- Add all ingredients to a large 6-quart slow cooker, give a quick stir, and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Every few hours I like to give mine a stir and check the liquid level. If it looks as though there is not enough liquid you can add more stock or water.
I like to freeze my roast for about 20 minutes before cubing. It makes cutting the meat a bit easier.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 331Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 799mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 33g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.